Kintsugi: The Breakening! (ooc Chat thread)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by NevermorePoe, Dec 7, 2016.

1. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Cedar's obviously got wings, but I don't know what my powers would be. If I have any. Maybe I'm just a regular witch.

• Like x 1
  2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

fish

oooh, i really like this idea.

I was thinking air more or less everywhere for sailing, but possibly some shards have little anti-atmospheres -- bubbles of vacuum. Also makes them function as doldrums for a sailing shard, for extra fun.

• Like x 3
  3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

If each shard keeps its original seasons and biome Because Magic, and there are pieces of the moon mixed in with the Earth chunks, then those would be airless. Also maybe there are shards that used to be seabed? If those aren't all still attached to the ocean-ribbons, and are floating around with the continent shards, then they'd be significant obstacles too. Especially if they do still have some ocean water attached to them, and it's still at the pressure it was when it was under a couple miles of water. Even without the pressure they'd still be big chunks of uninhabitable territory to traverse or work around.

• Like x 4
  4. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

Computer is unlocked and I have access to a keyboard. Let's do this.

5. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Okay, have a quick shitty mspaint drawing of how I was thinking of this working.
    The breakening.png
    Zones:
    Core: The only part of the planet that wasn't changed by the Breakening - it remained intact and is still providing us with a magnetic field so we all don't get irradiated.

Magma Islands: This was the mantle. It is not a pleasant place to be. I'm imagining the areas would keep their relative air pressure - which in the mantle would be very, very high if air existed there.

Under Mountains: This was the area of the crust near the mantle - most of it is still too hot for human habitation, but it is cooling more fairly quickly. The bigger danger is again air pressure, towards the middle and bottom of this zone it gets high enough to cause oxygen poisoning.

Skylands: The bit of the planet all of us are familiar with - grass water and all the fun stuff we're used to. Towards the top of this zone the air starts to thin out. While the survivable layer is much larger, it isn't infinite. For the most part, the atmosphere was stretched out, the upper half of this zone are the equivalent of being on everest.

Overworld: What shards exist here are barren and lifeless. There is no air here - special equipment would be required to explore it.

• Like x 6
  6. Technicality

I think that my power would be something with engineering? Like, I can build anything that I have schematics and the materials for, extremely quickly. But I need the exact blueprints and materials so that I can't be building things that are too overpowered. If it didn't exist on Earth before, then I can't make it without coming up with schematics myself. And I would also probably have a small chunk I could move around if that is ok

7. Technicality

and also since I now have my keyboard we can start off the actual RP if people are ready? Or are we still figuring out logistics

8. Wiwaxia

Do want to point out that the mantle is solid and would remain so if pressure remains constant.
    So not magma, but possibly still glowing hot (not sure) solid rock chunks.

• Like x 4
  9. Technicality

I like the idea of glowing orange-brown chunks of rock beneath all the greenery

• Like x 3
  10. Technicality

Also: is the planet still there? Because when I wrote the Marcus broadcast I said that it was and that was how gravity was still working, and that we were in chunks orbiting what was the Earth

11. Technicality

And also: I'll keep writing those broadcasts as they're appropriate. Only the really notable ones, though

12. Technicality

I'm talking a lot in this thread, I know, I really like this idea and I'm excited for it to happen

• Like x 1
  13. Wiwaxia

At night, the stars low to the horizon are obscured by the ruddy red glow from beneath.

Sunsets are long with huge streaks of shadow streaming slantedly upwards from each chunk as the last of the light filters through the shattered horizon.

• Like x 5
  14. palindromordnilap

I'm going to bed now, though I guess I'll be available pretty early tomorrow in my time. So might Cedar, I think.

15. Technicality

16. palindromordnilap

We might come in a bit later too, since it was decided we were on another shard. I guess we have an in-character reason not to be there in the beginning.

17. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Yooo I so want in on this! (I'm currently staying with @Wiwaxia so hey! Though my thought is I get caught downtown in the panic when stuff starts happening)

18. Technicality

Alright, that's fine.
    Are we starting from the exact moment of the event? And with the whole Marcus thing I wrote up happening as we go through it?

• Like x 1
  19. Technicality

(i'm quite proud of those and I'm glad people like them :3)

• Like x 1
  20. Wiwaxia

I think maybe starting a little bit after, more in the rebuilding phase?
    I dunno about other people here but rping catastrophe might be a bit emotionally intense for me rn.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice