Kintsugi: The Breakening! (ooc Chat thread)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by NevermorePoe, Dec 7, 2016.

1. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

If I can play I would also like magic.

I vote for physics what physics?

• Like x 2
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

All talk of the Shattering and magic just reminds me of this

3. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

.....what am I watching

4. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

Writing up something. Please stand by

5. Technicality

<<LOG OF EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM ACTIVATION>>

<<ACTIVATION CODE: ZCZC-EAN-EAN-000000-2400-343-1055-WHTHOUSE>>
    An Emergency Alert Notification has been issued for the following states: United States, Canada, U.S. Territories. Please stand by for a message from the President of the United States.

<<PLEASE STAND BY>>

[The president appears on the screen. He appears to have only just woken up. Someone off-camera hands him a script.]

President: *coughs* Ladies and gentlemen of the United States. It is my solemn duty to inform you that in a matter of moments, the planet will be no more. *Pause.* Wait, what?!

[The president turns to someone off screen and starts yelling. The feed cuts off, and returns to the Emergency Alert. Moments later, the president comes back on, eyes puffy.]

President: La-ladies and gentlemen *sniff* of the United St-States. It is my…

[The president begins sobbing. The feed cuts off again, for a much longer period. When it reappears, the President appears to have collected himself.]

President: Ladies and gentlemen. The Earth is on the brink of collapse. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears as though the crust of the planet has become unstable in a way that will cause the continents to shatter. We will bring you more information as it comes i--

[A rumbling noise from behind the president cuts him off, and the lights flicker. From outside, spews of magma are pushing pieces of Washington, D.C. out of their places, flinging them into high orbit around the Earth. Moments later, the shard that holds the White House is flung, and the feed cuts off immediately afterwards.]

<<CARRIER SIGNAL LOST -- PLEASE STAND BY>>

[The video feed comes back on. But it’s clearly pre-recorded. On it, a waving American flag appears, while the Star-Spangled Banner plays in the background. The video zooms out from the flag to show a marching band below it. The feed begins to stutter, and static becomes more prevalent than parts without. Eventually, the video is completely static, and a test pattern appears in its place.]

<<CARRIER SIGNAL LOST -- PLEASE STAND BY>>
    <<SEARCHING FOR BACKUP SIGNAL>>

<<ERROR NOT FOUND>>
    <<DISCONNECTING EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM>>

<<TERMINATION CODE: NNNN-EOM>>

• Like x 6
  6. Technicality

I am proud of that. Took me 30 minutes to write. By the way that is actually a valid header for an EAS message

7. chaoticArbiter

is good, I like it

8. Technicality

I gave myself shivers with that one

9. Technicality

Actually I made some errors writing that but it reads well

10. peripheral

A+

Also I volunteer new England.
    Place is basically haunted anyway.

• Like x 5
  11. IvyLB

A cartoon about idiots hunting dragons on a shattered planet with floating shards :P
    (It has a lot of lol random humor. The writing is unfortunate for what is some really neat concept and worldbuilding? But yeah god I hardly remember what actually happened plot wise it's like a fever dream that regularly happened for like almost an entire year of my life (Possibly more because of endless reruns syndrom???). I watched this on TV)

• Like x 1
  12. chaoticArbiter

........wow it's
    it's something

13. IvyLB

I think my favorite part is that I somehow never noticed that the opening theme song is by The Cure despite that part easily being the most memorable part of the whole thing.
    (It's stuck in my head. again.)

• Like x 2
  14. chaoticArbiter

it's....not actually a half bad song, imo?

15. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I actually came up with an in-universe/related-to-IRL reason for my british ass to be in the US area when the breakening happens!

My brother moved to Canada, and he misses our cats. So I brought them along to let him see them again then went south to do a US tour. (Lupin makes sense to be with me - Tiger obvs just didn't like Canada and wanted to stick with someone familiar.)

16. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Yea, I was thinking there would be air everywhere. Also kinda imagined the earth was spread out? Like the layers were all separated a few miles from each other, and then broken up into islands, but still maintaining the same order of layers as before. I do think that air everywhere would be the simplest way to do this. I'm kinda split on the magic bit, it's fun, but at the same time, I'm worried about it being too powerful and kinda solving all our problems for us.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    • Like x 5
  17. chaoticArbiter

I think as long as we stay away from, like, "I have healing powers" or things like that, it wouldn't solve all the problems for us? we could also just give ourselves all completely impractical and useless magic.

• Like x 1
  18. Technicality

<<LOG OF EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM ACTIVATION>>

<<ACTIVATION CODE: ZCZC-EAN-EAN-000000-2400-343-1155-WHTHOUSE>>
    [Television stations are offline. This is a transcript of a radio-broadcast EAN.]

AUTOMATED VOICE: We interrupt our programming; this is a national emergency.

[Header tone and alert tones play.]

AUTOMATED VOICE: This is an Emergency Action Notification requested by the White House. All EAS participants will follow activation procedures in the EAS Operating Handbook for a national level emergency. The President of the United States or his representative will shortly deliver a message over the Emergency Alert System.

[Alert tone plays again.]

AUTOMATED VOICE: This is an Emergency Action Notification. All broadcast stations and cable systems shall transmit this Emergency Action Notification Message. This station has interrupted its regular programming at the request of the White House to participate in the Emergency Alert System.

During this emergency, most stations will remain on the air providing news and information to the public in assigned areas. This is <<indecipherable>>. We will continue to serve the <<indecipherable>> area. If you are not in this Local Area, you should tune to stations providing news and information for your Local Area. You are listening to the Emergency Alert System serving the <<indecipherable>> area.

Do not use your telephone. The telephone lines should be kept open for emergency use.

[Alert tones play again.]

?????: Is it working?

[Static.]

?????: I think it is. Check the radio to see if --

[More static]

?????: He-hello? Is there anyone out there? Did anyone survive that?

[Silence, excepting some interference. The sounds of a backup generator can also be heard.]

?????: I think it’s on. Well, if there’s anyone out there, then you know what’s happened. The Earth’s crust broke and the pressure of the magma pushed us all out into space. I’m one of the last people here in the part that had the White House on it. The computers are still up, so I can push out an EAN. This might be the last radio broadcast ever made.

[Static cuts through the broadcast.]

?????: If you’re out there, try to re-establish contact with whoever you can. Humans aren’t going to die out yet. Somehow these...shards...are still habitable, and the planet is still causing some gravity. We’re just not on it anymore. So, to anyone who can hear this...go on living. Make a new home for yourself. *Pause.* For clarity, this is not the president, nor the vice president, not even the president’s secretary. They’re all dead or dying. I’m just the head of the FCC. I’ll try to keep up a radio broadcast from here as soon as I get a stable antenna. If anyone else is still alive, try to stay that way. Good luck to you all. *muttering* Now, where’s the deactivation proced--

AUTOMATED VOICE: This concludes operations under the Emergency Alert System. Normal programming will shortly resume, at the discretion of the operator.

<<TERMINATION CODE: NNNN>>

• Like x 7
  19. peripheral

HOLY SHIT

THAT'S SO GREAT

• Like x 1
  20. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Also, I just realized that "Kintsugi" is, in this case, the most appropriate name.

• Like x 12
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice