Language Learners, or: The Owl Comes For Us All

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by kmoss, May 20, 2019.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

sometimes duolingo has...very strange sentences.

brought to you by: 'let's leave the pretty women to men without imagination'

• Winner x 1
  2. bushwah

bushwah a known rule consequentialist

that feels like a slow roast but I'm not sure exactly who the target is

• Agree x 7
  3. bushwah

hebrew question:

what's the difference between

and

and

?

the first two I got from genesis 1:6 (so, biblical hebrew) and the last one I believe is from a source in modern hebrew. all three are translated into English as water but running each through reverso (while logged in as a free member) yields examples with connotational patterns that suggest these are meaningfully different words.

attempt to split the morphemes: לָ prefix, מַ֖יִם base. first one is prefix+base, second is base, third is base+base. the base presumably means water, but I don't know how the prefix or the repetition modifies the base, and I'm not sure where to look to find out.

the prefix also looks familiar and I'm not sure why. looking it up alone yields gibberish.

4. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I can confirm, at least, that the base does mean "water". I think the prefix turns it into "the water"? But I'm not 100% sure. I would suspect that the repetition would turn it into "water of waters" or something to do with multiple waters, but I'm genuinely not sure!

• Informative x 1
  5. bushwah

latest intel suggests that the prefix may be relational. so "to water" or "of water" or, or "in water" or something. I know "the" (or a word that translates to "the") and that looks different

this just. makes me so curious about the tashlich thing, the throwing of bread into water on rosh hashanah. which water is that? big water, relational/definite (prefixed) water, or regular water?

6. bushwah

okay, I'm... I'm trying to read genesis 1:8 now (I am go very slow) and. my dictionary says בֹ֖קֶר is "beef" which uh... does not appear in any translation I can find...

I think my word borders are wrong?

(also by far the best hebrew-english online dictionary is... wiktionary. why? I have no idea. but it is.)

7. leitstern

leitstern 6736 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

My whole workplace has pledged to learn Spanish because we live in the southern US and we can’t talk to our numerous Spanish speaking patrons, this is awful

Let me tell you though the problem with a litany of librarians (‘litany’ being my personal proposed group naming scheme for librarians) when it comes to Spanish Speaking is not ‘Spanish,’ it’s ‘Speaking.’ We are bad speakers. We are not skilled people people. It’s been rough.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Winner x 2
  8. 3strim

3strim Professional Accidental Rater

Parking my butt in here because I've gotten back to attempting to learn languages (even though retaining English is a struggle).

Current study: Gàidhlig

• Winner x 1
  9. 3strim

3strim Professional Accidental Rater

Current pet peeve of Duolingo: not explaining why a word changes (for example, plural form of you, vocatives, etc).

They just expect you to kinda. Figure it out.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  10. Verily

Verily a very ineffective hitman

I sorta feel like that's a situation where the language learning program is very proud of how many tables for conjugation and declension it doesn't have, and as soon as the student actually sees those tables, if they didn't actively search them already, they're going to be very cranky about how much simpler it is if you just write it out.

• Agree x 3
  11. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

It does have tips now, where it demonstrates how words change. (At least for French. idk about other languages yet.) But that's very recent, and isn't the same as explaining why it changes.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

MADE IT TO DUOLINGO DIAMOND LEAGUE!!

god help me this owl is kicking my ass sometimes.

• Winner x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice