LANGUAGES!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Re Allyssa, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Oh god, those programming-inspired ones.

2. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I'm not sure it was infixes. I thought it was ablaut, from German strong verbs and other Germanic languages.

But trust me linguists love being able to just babble about langauges.

AHAHAHAHA this is a thing. xD
    I'm taking a conlang class and we read his essay "A Secret Vice" and we're just like TOLKIEN YOU NERD xD

• Like x 1
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Oh I know they do. It's great and it's what I aspire to given that my goal in life is "become linguist". I've already got the excited babbling about languages down and what not, but I am not there enough to go "Yes. I am a linguist". No. I am a person who knows things about linguistics. Not a linguist. Stop getting that wrong, personal friends of mine. Grrr.

Though even after going through formal schooling and training I'll probably still not consider myself a linguist.

4. MintyJojo

MintyJojo Well-Known Member

I speak arabic, currently learning how to read and write.

5. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

I speak some French (I need practice) and I really want to go back to learning Korean (written and spoken) and American Sign Language. I really enjoy learning new languages.

6. Aondeug

you speak arabic you say. Hello! I am learning Arabic and have been for...a year now? I am not very good at it sadly I don't think, but it is probably my favorite language. It dethroned Japanese and that is a feat.

• Like x 1
  7. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I speak a few languages. I am fluent in Dutch (mother tongue) and English, and am decent enough in German. In French I can make myself just about understood to tell them I am not very good at French, and do they happen to speak English? With a decent enough accent, fortunately :P
    I was learning Spanish on Duolingo, but I forgot doing it every night, and I forgot stuff in between. I can probably tell someone I don't speak Spanish though :P

I also studied Ancient Greek and Latin in secondary school. I had tree years of Latin, and five of Ancient Greek. Although I am pretty sure I have forgotten nearly everything.

• Like x 1
  8. MintyJojo

That's so cool! Good luck, man! To be perfectly honest, by all technicalities, arabic was my first language. I only started speaking english a little bit before I was kindergarten aged, and it only became my dominant language after I really started going to school. Now I speak english better than I speak arabic, but it's still there. I am only fluent in my country's dialect though; as to the formal version, such as the kind used on newscasts, I have more trouble understanding.

And again, the reading/writing thing is what I'm working on currently! I've got the hang of the basics, I just need to order some books to really get it ingrained so that I'm not struggling when I read word by word.

A year though, that's cool! Are you taking classes, or self taught? I took a few classes at my university, before my schedule started to get in the way, haha

• Like x 1
  9. Aondeug

I've taken two classes, and my ustaaza let me borrow the book that's used in Arabic 3. I've been studying on my own since then, though I've gotten a bit lax with it lately? Due to school stuff and what not. I really need to get back to it and I am making efforts at trying to use it more again. Like how I used to take notes in it? Especially in math class.

I should get some books honestly. God. There are probably like Arabic YA novels or something. I need to look into this shit and use what remaining fuck around funds I have on a few books to read.

• Like x 1
  10. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

whoops, sorry, i meant for the infix bit to go before the part about how -n- is in think and bring but not thought and brought, not about the vowel sounds specifically.

11. Aondeug

I found the first Harry Potter book in Arabic in pdf format. Also just for fun a copy of it was going on amazon for over 1000 usd. The cheapest I found ran at like 190. The other books ran from like 15-45 depending on whether paperback or hardcover.

Wow Arabic Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

• Like x 1
  12. Re Allyssa

I'm a junior in my linguistics major and I still don't consider myself a linguist. But then I talk to non linguists and watch their eyes glaze over when I use too many technical terms and then I go "oh okay maybe I am a linguist."

Ohhh. Okay. That's so cool!

• Like x 1
  13. MintyJojo

Hey, YA novels are a good start! If you'd like I could scrounge up that list of recommended books in arabic my mom made for me at some point. It's in one of my notebooks, haha

14. Aondeug

Oooh. If you could I would really love that. I've already started on Harry Potter and it'll take me a while because my vocabulary is fucking shit. But I need more things. Thank you.

15. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Just to be sure, we've all seen this, right?

• Like x 2
  16. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Seen it a bunch of times but it's hilarious. Especially if you know of the English public-school Latin class experience, which is what it's imitating.

17. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

I speak Swedish and English fluently (and I mix words and expressions up ALL THE TIME, it's frustrating and hilarious. so far the most reoccuring mistake is that memorize in Swedish isn't memorisera, it's memorera. my mother laughs at me.)
    I'm learning French in school (we're gonna try to pass the DELF this may! I'm super nervous cause my teacher convinced me to go for B2 but I'm not sure at all I can do it. aaahhh.)
    Aaaand I'm learning Italian over at duolingo! Duolingo is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Linguistics are fascinating. I actively look for information way too rarely but I, too, soak information up like a sponge when presented with it. (i am especially very very fascinated with online dialects cause the way we've replaced body language and tone with like 10 000 different things is absolutely incredible and super interesting.)

18. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

My first language is English. I studied French for years at high school and then lived in France for a while, so my French is good - not 100% fluent, but passable. And my French accent is more "toulousaing" than English. :D

I began trying to teach myself some German and Italian with the Duolingo app a year ago, but I got out of practice when I began uni. One thing I found when I attempted to speak either of them was that when I was stuck for a word I would switch automatically into French. I suppose my brain considers French "generic foreign language".

19. Re Allyssa

guys guys i'm gonna do my senior thesis on the linguistics of emoticons. i'm so excited. there's actually hits on google scholar when i search 'linguistics emoticons' aaaahhhhhhh this is possible eeee

• Like x 6
  20. Aondeug

Ooooooh. That's a thing I've thought about at times and I've read a bit into it. In terms of the linguistics of internet communication in general, but there was a section about emotes. Said book is a bit dated now though and I've yet to read anything else on the topic but wow do I want to learn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice