LANGUAGES!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Re Allyssa, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

i'm just really excited because writing a thesis is a scary thing for me, but if i can do it on freaking emoticons it should be easy =D i hope....
    i can probably post links here of stuff that i find if you want?

• Like x 3
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

That would be super cool if you could. Thanks for offering!

3. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

:D

^___^!!!

• Like x 1
  4. Re Allyssa

Okay so this blog looks neat--it has a bunch of stuff that I've already wondered about internet linguistics. Ugh I don't have time to read all of it rn but it looks great.

More stuff as I actually read it. xD

• Like x 2
  5. Re Allyssa

Do you smile with your nose?
    It's an article about that differences between smilies like :-) and :) and what it means and stuff. I thought it was interesting :)
    (let me know if you guys can't access this and I'll see if I can get around it)

Also, I think I'm gonna try to do my paper on smiley variation. Like how the same emoticon can "do" similar things in different contexts (like in terms of illocutionary force).

Also, also. I'm in two language based student led courses. Modern Hebrew and Navajo =D

• Like x 3
  6. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Oh hey that's neat. I liked a similar article on how different languages "lol"

7. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I misparsed that in the context of the rest of your post, and briefly thought you were taking a course comparing the use of the emoticon "=D" in modern Hebrew and Navajo.

Which would be awesome.

• Like x 3
  8. Re Allyssa

That would be awesome. Alas.

9. I'm craving something Spanish to read. Anyone have suggestions for magical realist stories that aren't too long and I haven't read?

10. budgie

Como agua para chocolate?

11. Huh, I don't think I've read that one. How long is it?

12. budgie

Not very, as memory serves. Less than 300 pages for sure.

13. budgie

Long shot here, but has anyone got any links to academic sources on Nahuatl/Aztec empire city/place names?

(I seem to wind up making every class about language, whether or not it started out that way.)

14. budgie

Does "rhyme off" mean anything to any of you , and also where are you from? I perplexed my SO with the idiom last night and I'm wondering how common it is

15. Re Allyssa

Nope, from the US, mainly Florida

16. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

It is striking me as similar to "rap-off," as in a battle of words on the fly, but... no, I've actually never heard that. Pennsylvania datapoint o/

17. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

Off-rhymes are definitely a thing. idk about rhyme off. Massachusetts.

18. budgie

Hunh, so I also did some independent research and "to rhyme off" appears to be a Canadianism. It means to list or recite quickly and without needing to really think about it, e.g., "The waitress rhymed off the drink options." Can't find an etymology for it, alas.

• Like x 1
  19. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Ah, yeah-- that'd be "rattle off" in my area.

• Like x 2
  20. budgie

Resurrecting the thread to share a cool kickstarter I stumbled across:

*grabby hands*

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice