Let´s Lace! [Corsetry Thread]

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Codeless, Mar 7, 2015.

1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I'm constantly cold and cotton doesn't do much for me. After talking with my mom, a definite go would be a silk corset, because silk is very good about temperature regulation. But the price tag on real silk is kinda scary for my current financial situation so wweh

2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Well so it the price tag on a corset. Since moxst of those come in silk or satin, it wouldn´t be mucch more of an investment. I can tell you brocade is truly ridiculus in warming, but just as expensive as silk.

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

By the way, here´s a video of a lecture on historical undergarments, if anyone is interested. Warning, it´s long.

4. IvyLB

the saddest thing is I love brocade its like one of my favourite fabrics. At my core I am a spoiled little princex who wants to have all the expensive things I actually cannot afford haaaaa :P

that was quite the lovely overview! and I keep noticing how little I care about constraining garments because I keep looking at the incredibly restrictive corset types and going 'huuuh I'd wear that'
    but i think one idea to look into definitly would be rococo era boy's corsets. even if they stopped wearing them around ten years old it should be possible to scale them up a bit and modify them for binding purposes.

5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

That should work. Also I looked at corset making supplies and they have busks wih rhinestone pins (as in, the pins have rinestones on top) I am so tempted.

• Like x 1
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Also I find it amusing how you´re worried about being warm enough, and I´m looking for mesh corsets for the summer. (I´m weird in that I both overheat or cool out very easily)

EDIT: I found a vid about wearing a binder with a female corset. So i would assume it is possible with a male one as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. IvyLB

ahhh you are an angel thanks this is super informative!!

now I just have to buy a binder and a corset at some point and not do the highly woozy and slightly unhealthy method of 'layer super flattening sports bustiers until you choose breathing instead of further flatness, then put on shapewear because you reconsidered the breathing part'

(I'm aware that that is super not good and should not be done but I considered wrapping my bust up with seran wrap too and this is still the slightly better version of dealing with my chest related dysphoria + waist issues. xoxo the resident baby genderfuck with no money)

8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Mewr welcome. I cannot recommend this lady enough, unlike some tightlacers she really does take health into account.
    I´m definitely looking into waistcoat type corset patterns for male presentation, because maybe I can also pad parts of it under the boning to smooth out the lump between chest and stomch from bound breasts.

(Definitely better than seran wrap. Also *waves* another genderwtf with no money...)

9. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

As someone who has a fatbump that does this, I can definitely assert that it makes my boobs look smaller. I'm a Dcup, but between not-wearing-a-bra-ever sag and that, I honestly look more like B-C a lot of the time.

10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Thanks, that´s helpful. I am a C-cup. but I need my chest very supported because pretty much looking at them crossly makes my boobs hurt. So I´m hoping the padding will also keep things from moving at all.
    Then maybe when I can choose between looking male and female, I can figure bout how I feel about the whole mess.

11. nekobakaz

nekobakaz our lady of contagious giggles

I actually started wearing steel corsets for the similar weighted-vest feel; an autistic friend recommended them, and I've slowly been getting into them for more and more reasons. I have a curve in my back, and trying to remember to keep good posture is really difficult (I think I also need inserts for my shoes for different length legs as well). So when I'm working a long shift in retail, my back really hurts!!!

Plus I do live action role playing (Vampire: The Requiem) and cosplay. And sometimes, you just need a good squeeze around the middle!

My friend who recommended corsets as a sensory thing referred me to corset-story.com; they have fashion, steel-bone, and waist-training corsets, and if you think you can wait, they often have sales.

My problem is that I'm a plus sized person with a short torso, so most regular sized corsets off most sites won't fit too well (hits my armpit and hips too soon!!) Corset-story has petite length corsets, but not a lot of selection in them. I also find I have to wear a bra underneath cause they tend to be too big on top and I'm afraid of people seeing right down it.

Sigh. I kinda want to take up corset-making. A few of my friends and I have talked about it, since we're all shapes that are "abnormal" and things tend to not fit right...

OH!! Men's corsets!! I know a place that sells them!! I was looking for a plain white satin corset, and I found this site that has men's corsets. I don't know whether it helps any.

• Like x 1
  12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I tried one on at the fair today! Like a real one that laces in the back and everything. It wasn't laced as tight as it could go, and I only wore it for a few minutes, but it was kinda nice and I looked good, so I think I'm gonna go ahead and make the investment =3

I think I'll get some just fashion ones in addition to this one...

13. Starcrossedsky

I've also been considering taking it up, though in my case it's as much because my desired fit is kind of weird-shaped (basically: I don't want the Super Waist that most corsets offer, it looks Really Wrong to me) and because I want the vest-style ones which are. Really hard to find in plus sizes outside of getting a custom order (which EXPENSIVE and FITTINGS).

also "I can't believe it's not bustier" is a pun just begging to be used for a corset shop name.

14. IvyLB

asdfghjk nice :D

Oh HAI another vampire LARPer! nice! I've until now not dared put on a corset for a session because I am endlessly paranoid that the ONE time I wear somethign I can't move too well in will be the hardcore physical fights session ugh. And I say that as someone who always wears heels and usually either an evening gown or tight, high-waisted leather shorts. (btw high waist leather pants or skirts are pretty restrictive, quite less expensive than a corset and maybe give atleast the tummy-flattening/waist emphasizing effect? so that might be a thing for the look and feel to get used to not being able to do the tummy breathing thing when you are super new to corsets and have a tight budget. Might carry weird stereotypes tho sooooo...

ETA: also I've seen steampunk style leather corsets today and wow, just. wow. I definitly want one of those if I ever fall over a huge pile of money.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  15. Starcrossedsky

So I realized today that my normal standing posture, one of my shoulders is waaaay lower than the other one. So maybe I need a corset for posture after all. Oops?

16. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Sounds like you might have a touch of scoliosis, which might be helped by that ...

17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I agree with Morven, but ask your doctor anyway. (Yes, I will repeat that till I´m blue in the face.)

• Like x 1
  18. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

So! I know about corsets. They legitimately give me more energy because my core muscles are and have always been kind of terrible, and otherwise I'm spending all of my energy keeping my torso from flopping over. So I'm wearing one pretty much daily.

Corset-Story does, in theory, have steel-boned corsets. Unfortunately, their steel bones are not properly filed and capped - they often just use cut-up sheet metal with the sharp edges still on! - so they're fundamentally unsafe. I give them +1 for properly marking which ones have plastic and which ones have steel bones, Ebay sellers often don't even do that much, but still.

A better store for 'affordable corsetry' that uses proper materials is Orchard Corset. They have 15% sales that rotate across their stock throughout the year and I got one for, like, 30% off during their last year's holiday sale. They also tend to have limited edition corsets for a little bit less than their normal ones. And their staff is super helpful. (I like the 411 style best. But you'll definitely want to ask them what kind of style is appropriate for your body type; I started at the 305 and moved up once I was used to the pressure.)

Above that in price point, I know Lucy's Corsetry (linked previously in this thread) has a list of "sellers that are actually mostly reputable". But OC can mass-produce corsets, so they're generally the cheapest.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    • Like x 1
  19. nekobakaz

nekobakaz our lady of contagious giggles

Yeah, Corset-Story is sort of a mixed thing. I tend to shop there cause they kinda have a short torso section. I'm half tempted to shell out the cash for a custom made, especially for my cosplay.

20. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

My problem with OC is that they dont usually describe what bodytype or desired shape a style is for, and the poctures aren't a lot of help either. That or they dont have any gently curved corsets at all.
    Can you tell I got pretty frustrated looking at their site?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice