Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

!!! How the heck had i not seen that before, that was badass! I especially loved the kanaya bits

2. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

Learning how music works is like learning wine tasting or assessing the value of collectibles - there is a lot of stuff you need to learn, and you need at least some experience in order to even make sense of what you're hearing. If you want, you can learn this music stuff by taking a "music appreciation" class, which at least some community colleges offer.

I perceive music as complex interweaving patterns of harmony, have perfect pitch, and was trained in piano for ten years (and orchestral flute for three of those years). I'm good at spotting leitmotifs, I can't necessarily tell you what they mean in context unless it's obvious, because while I am good at music I am not good at music appreciation. What I can do is imagine what instruments are being played, where they are located in space, and how these hypothetical players are making the sounds that they're making, and I have this instinctive sense of chord structures and harmony. I don't know what the actual names for the chords are anymore, but I do know how they sound and how they "should" flow into each other.

When I put together music albums from the stuff I've composed, there is a pattern I follow: the first song is reasonably exciting and ear-catching (I usually start with a single harmony or drum line and build up from there), the second through fifth songs have a less important order but I try to alternate energetic songs with non-energetic songs, the sixth or seventh song is a Dramatic Climax, and the last song is relatively subdued and usually tapers off into nothing. Some other people start their albums with a first song that is relatively slow and peaceful, which I would call a zeroth song, Obviously these numbers vary based on what kind of album you're looking at, but the interest curve remains the same.

What this means is, you can listen to Homestuck albums and see how the second-to-last song is usually one that you could imagine as a Dramatic Climax Flash Page, and the last song is usually one that is slower and tapers off. (This is more true from Volume 5 on; volumes 1-4 were not organized quite as coherently.)

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I promise it's literally the same melody between the two. I could drag up sheetmusic and highlight it if that helps?? But this is the kind of thing that makes music interesting! the same motif can sound entirely different depending on how you arrange things around it!
    Like for a different fandom example, I don't know if you watched Yuri On Ice!! but they used two pieces in that show that are oppositions to eachother, using the same thematic material, Ainitsuite ~Agape~ (On Love: Agape) and Ainitsuite ~Eros~ (On Love: Eros)
    I'm linking here to Synthesia Piano covers so you can actually visualize what's going on with the music!

They are on different scales (Agape I am fairly sure is simply in a minor key, while eros I would bet has a flamenco scale going on but I don't know enough about spanish music to determine that specifically) and obviously have different moods going on, but at thei roots they come from the same melody.
    And the relationship between Harlequin and Showtime is the same! If you listen closely to the piano version of Showtime (being the most reduced and clear version of the motif) you can really hear the leading melody of Harlequin (and by extension, The Dark Carnival), and once you have a firm grasp of that I'm sure you can pick out the motif in the Original mix as well!

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  4. How is this "studied music for years" thing working out for you guys financially, if I may ask?

5. IvyLB

I mean I did all that from elementary school onwards, and shit, but I don't do anything with my music education, except for small things. Like, I lended a hand in helping with composing some of the music for @winterykite's indiegame project and I got some money teaching a girl how to read sheet music at some point when I still worked as a tutor. I never had any aspirations about actually making money with my music stuff except when i was pretty tiny. I'm just doing it because it's fun to me? And generally it's considered good to support a child wanting to learn an instrument or something at least around here, since it heightens dexterity, helps establish comfort and experience with performances and generally it's just good for the soul? Skills don't have to have a practcal/capitalist application for them to be valuable in their own right. It's just interesting to me to see how sounds get fitted together and what the historical context for these is, how works reference eachother, etc

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

oh damn
    that black king had some damn good acting going on. good movements.
    i loved the gamzee part a lot. very simple, very menacing.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  7. Ahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa.... Where the hell do you live? Nothing I do or know has value unless it has value to other people. That's how my life works. And it's going terribly.

• Witnessed x 2
  8. IvyLB

In Gemany? It's... yknow there's this whole """"novel"""" concept of social security that enables people to do things that are fun, even if they aren't too lucrative? I'm sorry you're in this position, but allowing yourself to like... do things because you want to do them even if they don't have immediate payoff really helps for mental health I find.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 2
  9. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

ivy's skills have value because they bring themselves and other people (me, for one) joy

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
  10. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Very similar hat! I also have perfect pitch, my parents both played guitar and were very integral parts of the church worship team when I was growing up. They both composed their own music, did a lot of sound mixing and would assemble the cassettes (yes, I'm that old) and later CD arrangements for sales in the church office, and then later (middle through high school) I was a choir brat. So I have an ear for it from exposure and practice, but I can't actually explain the technical aspects to anyone, just point and go OHOHOH, I LOVE how they called back to that, what a great story that tells, aaaaah!

Seeing people that CAN break it down and analyse it is always a huge treat for me, like reading a really good piece of meta on a series that I love.

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Value isn't just monetary... But I don't know if this is the right venue for a discussion about it.

• Agree x 8
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

That's amazing! It looks like a play that the people living in the new universe might put on about a great battle once fought by their creators.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  13. IvyLB

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  14. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

hello yes I have started reading this
    I'm thoroughly confused but enjoying the experience

• Like x 9
    • Witnessed x 2
  15. artistformerlyknownasdave

Ĵ̩̪̥̖ͫ̿͊̑ͨŎ̞͂ͪ̈͢I̞̊ͩͮN͍͆͋̓̆ͣ̋̈́́ ̲̬̉̉̈́̽͋̄̄U̺S̝̺̘̜̹̤͑̏̀

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 3
  16. Technicality

oh I have
    it's...certainly something

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  17. artistformerlyknownasdave

18. Technicality

• Like x 2
  19. artistformerlyknownasdave

AH, A GOOD SCENE

who's your favorite so far?

20. Technicality

can I say all of them
    because if so ALL OF THEM
    (also the music is just. top-notch.)

• Agree x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice