Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

yeah idk i kinda feel bad for both Meenah and (Vriska) in this. It IS kind of amazing how easily Vriska reduced (Vriska) to tears, but then the current alive!Serket probably has the same buttons that can be pushed and she just isn't as vulnerable because Vriska has never in her life opened up to anyone about anything, while (Vriska) basically felt safe with Meenah. Which obviously scared Meenah a lot. :(

2. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

can i just say i love how vriska (vriska) is now an actual canon thing instead of just that thing from the hsfandomsecrets blog or whatever it was

also i am having a lot of meenkat feels especially after rereading their thing in openbound, like. meenah wants to friendlead and she's just too scared ahh it's karkat all over again must protect precious children at all costs

• Like x 2
  3. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

nooooooooo, not the sweet Maid leg wrappings!
    Also I was wondering why Nannasprite kept saying kids plural.

• Like x 1
  4. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

what.

(update reaction)

ooh, she came over when john switched timelines. kids, plural, when john died in this timeline at the start of the ship journey. that took me way longer to catch than it should have.

5. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

So the Odd Gentlemen are thieves and scoundrels, it appears. I wonder just what the fandom's gonna do to them once word spreads, and how many other Kickstarter games will never be proposed out of fear of this happening!

*Edit: alleged.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  7. Wiwaxia

:/ I am skeptical, and would really like more evidence than a video that doesn't really say what the post says it says.
    Smells a bit like the "Tessa Stone was ripped off by her publisher" rumors a while back, which were bullshit IIRC.

8. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

There was no post when I clicked on that link - what happened?

9. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Please summarize?

10. WinkWonk

WinkWonk 30 Luminous Shark Distresses The Squeamish

I just came here to write about this. Here's a link to the archived post from IPGD that got taken down.

Christ, I feel so sorry for Hussie. First he lost his dad and then he had to deal with these scammers stealing money from him - and considering the amount of money we're talking about here was close to a million dollars, there had to be a lot of pressure and paperwork involved. Apparently, that was also the reason for the Gigapause? Man, 2014 must have been fucking hell for the Huss ):
    To top it all of, it seems he can't even talk publicly about this and make sure these fuckers go down in infamy.

• Like x 4
  11. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

So I've been reading a lot of Dave centric fic lately and there are some really common mischaracterizations I'd like to rant about a bit.
    1. Dave doesn't smirk. He has a poker face. I know that similar characters to Dave in other media like to smirk, but not Dave. There are so many otherwise well-written fics where Dave smirks twice a chapter. What gives?
    2. Dave isn't full of belly laughs and genuine smiles, either. Remember, poker face. There is this weirdly common characterization where every single time (as in once every 500 words) one of his friends cracks a joke, Dave tries to hold it in but can't help chuckling. No. Bad author. And he smiles like once or twice in the entire comic. Not a common thing. The person you're shipping Dave with is unlikely to love his smiles (at least in the beginning) because they are unlikely to see his smiles.

• Like x 1
  12. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I remember that one raised pixel when Dave talked to GG that started that ship, way back when. Back when people thought Dave was legitimately kind of cool.
    That's probably where the whole smirking thing came from.

13. Wiwaxia

The pixel that launched a thousand ships, yeah.
    And Dave is a lot more expressive than people give him credit for, especially post-meteor trip. But smirking? Nah.

14. BPD anon

That's why the smirk a minute stuff bothers me. Because it was an established fact (at least until the beforus walkarounds, where I think he smiles more) that the one pixel with jade was the only time he smiled. How can somebody spend much time in the Homestuck fandom and write Dave and not know that?

15. IvyLB

yeah, he is just not very smile-y or laugh-y in general. Every other thing he has a possibility of hilariously over-acting his emotional response just to go straight back into poker face.
    I honestly prefer my shipped Daves to only smile or genuinely laugh at like "relationship milestones" so to speak. Like maybe I dig overly poetic and dramatic shit too much but to me it's very great to find a fanfic where dave just never smiles until idk. he agreed to marry someone. and then its just like HOLY SHIT DAVE SMILED let's talk about that for the next ten paragraphs!!!!!!!!
    .... I am maybe a bit weird :P

• Like x 1
  16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

What the actual heck, Tavros?

*Edit on reflection, these two sure talk a lot about creating themselves, and they're both overwhelmingly aware of their flaws and trying to avoid them (and the problems of them). I'm pretty sure this isn't the best approach for them, though.

17. BPD anon

I agree completely! He'd only smile if the event was important enough to distract him from being "cool" IMO.

As for the person who said Dave was expressive... Well, with his words, yes. One can easily see both the emotion he wants to convey and the emotion he's really feeling. With his body language, also yes. There are a bunch of really emotional scenes conveyed by Dave's body language. Also some silly ones, like when Dave jumped like five feet with one of his legs in the air when he saw Cal. With his face, though? I don't really see it. His smile with Jade was one pixel wide and even then it was anomalous enough to be a big thing in the fandom.

Have you ever read the fic "Stay Lost on Our Way Home" by curlicuecal? I like how Seb never moves his face but his emotions are always obvious or even exaggerated because of how the rest of him moves. I think I'm going to use a bit of that when writing Dave.

Actually I've been reading a bunch of fic with Dave in in because I've been reading popular Eridave fics because I'm going to be writing one shortly. I'd greatly appreciate any characterization advice or tropes to avoid wrt Dave or Eridan (humanstuck).

• Like x 2
  18. IvyLB

You wanna write eridave? for real? holy shit. HOLY SHIT. LET ME JUST. IF YOU POST IT ONLINE SHOT ME A NOTE OR SOMETHING PLS? *puppy eyes* It's one of my favorite rare ships for dynamic and contrast reasons.

19. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i think in lee shore i had dave laugh and smile a fair bit, but then, he's a lot older than canon. mid-20's, iirc.

• Like x 1
  20. IvyLB

Eh, I mean I don't actively mind smiling daves (especially if he's older, because idk the pokerface thing seems like a teen-phase, tbh) but it's exciting as heck to see people take up the challenge of writing dave in sappy shipping fluff fics and just not have him smile and laugh all the time, because, uh... idk it just doesn't seem much like his style, and I feel it might be harder to convey 'people actually happy with eachother' without the shortcuts of smiling and laughing. Similar to the sunglasses trope thing that is already recognized as like a 'fanfic relationship milestone' when he takes them off being a shortcut for 'this person is important to me' or 'this situation is hella serious' in dave-speak.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice