Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

*rolls around in glee*

2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Since he's doing it to Vriska, and considering the history they have, I'm cheering along with his gloating. I wonder whether he's less inclined to strut and brag to anyone else. I would expect he is, except the trolls are all pretty used to following leaders who are also assholes.

That said,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    • Like x 3
  3. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

I am sorry but I am so happy about this even though I haven't caught up yet

*rolls out of the door in squiggly pleasure*

4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i took the 'vindication' line as a dig at vriska, and her end-justifies-the-means attitude. the way she's spent her whole life (and afterlife) breaking eggs and doesn't have a single omelet to show for it.

• Like x 1
  5. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Welp, I'd say that was a pretty inspirational sbeach. Plenty of good reasons to fight there.

6. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

...at least Meenah's immediate suggestion wasn't 'do what I say or MIND CONTROL'?

7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

...this will be a baller use of our time. I am sold.

• Like x 1
  8. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

... Man I'm just disappointed.

9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

It was polite of Tavros to foreshadow this by announcing that his one accomplishment meant that all his personal flaws and growth have been resolved.

10. Aondeug

I love you. Let's be bleh about the character development together. I don't actively dislike it or something, but at the same time it's not what I consider to be good. The retcon I feel doesn't necessarily have to be a thing that bothers me and just fucks things up. To be able to know that there was this other timeline where you became a complete fuck up and being able to look over that might have quite the interesting affect on a person. As is it was just kind of like "Yeah there is a retcon and suddenly Rose in this timeline isn't an alcoholic. I have solved everything!" I don't hate it but Hussie is no Kiernan. Not even fucking remotely.

But then for a while now the appeal of homestuck for me has been just treating it like a toybox. There are characters, character types, and mythological features that are interesting. You can then take those things and play with them elsewhere, and have your character development in the fashion of your choosing. Homestuck has the sort of appeal that, say, Lovecraftian horror has fictionally. It might not be the best written stuff and it might actually be hideously annoying at times but boy is it fun to think about and play with.

I do sincerely like how Kanaya's development has gone though. She's one of the better written characters I feel.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    • Like x 2
  11. Aondeug

Another thing I liked was getting to see Vriska chew out (Vriska). But this is because I am a Persona fan and my idea for Serket personas has largely been "Extremely unpleasant person who just absolutely tears down themselves and then Aranea cries or something". Which is beautiful. Porrim's is a 50's housewife. This is very beautiful and important.

And yes that is my issue with things. We just kind of montage away from shit in a way that is just kind of. Clunky and bleh. This isn't a movie. We've got the time. Let's just montage though and be like "Yo Vriska did it". Really just kind of visually getting through most of it would be fine I think. I just don't think it was handled that well. Anyway.

I don't mind being told how things happen as opposed to seeing them. Some of my favorite stories are little but being told things instead of seeing them happen. But Homestuck is partly a visual story. This is not a Lovecraft. It can't get away with the same bullshit as one.

So like...Sarah Crowe in The Red Tree can sit there and slowly detail her relationship with her ex and we never get to see any of this and that's fine. Because that is the style of the story and with what it's supposed to be doing it works really, really well. No, reading the whiny journal of a depressed author isn't everyone's idea of fun but the point is that sort of telling over showing thing works just fine with it.

That isn't really the case with homestuck. It just feels a bit. Ergh.

12. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

gonna go way off topic here and state that omg, either ghosts have no weight to them or tavros's horns and neck must be made of really strong stuff for him to hold up meenah like that.

13. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I'd imagine horns would have to be pretty strong, and that Tavros would have hella strong neck muscles anyway from having to carry...well, fucking enormous horns his whole life. But yeah, that is definitely bizarre. Chalk it up to Rule Of Funny, I suppose.

And...I admittedly haven't been super happy about the post-retcon arc, but there are also things I've liked about it and...I dunno, I still really love the comic. :( I probably have no taste.

14. Okay no, writing is hard and if Hussie dived deep into everything you're talking about he'd never fucking finish.

15. Aondeug

We can have no taste together Acey. And in that find that we have far more taste. The most tasteful of all tastes.

And then you learn that my favorite game is Castlevnia 64 and shun me forever as you should.

16. itsAlana

itsAlana let me tell you about the vorkosigan saga

so I was talking to a bud on plurk and i just
    headcanon accepted tbh

• Like x 10
  17. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Well that could make the bit about love in Serenity a whole lot creepier. Depends on how Serenity herself feels and how Troll Firefly treats helms.

• Like x 1
  18. blue

blue hightown funk you up

nooo, you gotta make wash the helmsman.

• Like x 2
  19. Aondeug

I DEMAND MY JADEBLOODED INARA RIGHT FUCKING NOW. MAKE SPACE PORRIM ACTUALLY SPACE PORRIM GOD DAMMIT.

• Like x 6
  20. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I do not buy that Tavros is being legitimately subservient to Meenah for a second.
    I mean we're probably gonna cut away and not see the payoff for a while, but bulls are not known for being easy to ride.

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice