Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    • Like x 1
  2. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

i know this is like two days late but this never fails to crack me up

• Winner x 2
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Long ending rant I just posted on my Tumblr.
    I get the fans saying “they’ve earned their reward, let them be happy!” I do.

But… John isn’t happy. Terezi isn’t happy. They have the opportunity to become happy but merely being in the new universe won’t make them so. I have my doubts as to whether the responsibility of running an entire planet would make any of them happy, and they have no experience ruling anything outside of Can Town so I don’t see how they can make their people happy. They’re still orphans and still lost almost all of their friends. Nobody they left behind in the dreambubbles is going to be really happy in the long term because they’re stuck in stasis - Rufioh is going to be trying to break up with oblivious Horuss forever, Mituna is going to be harassed by Cronus with no way of ever getting away from him forever - with only different iterations of the same tiny group of people and no way to meet anyone new, and if their lives pre-game were as horrifically traumatising as Dave says he found his (this being a Cerebus Retcon is a whole other rant) they’re going to be miserable reliving those memories over and over. And the living players have a Life player and could save them from this hellscape, but they didn’t. Everyone’s going on about how great it is that, say, Karezi or Daverezi didn’t happen because she doesn’t need a man to be happy, but is she going to never be able to date anyone ever again because she’s worshipped as a god now and no non-player will ever understand or be willing to get close to her? Same applies to the other characters. Just because they don’t need to date doesn’t mean they’ll never want to and just because they went through the game together doesn’t mean they’ll want to date each other, and what normal person is going to be able to feel equal to them? And Gamzee sure as hell isn’t happy and nobody ever bothered to even try to find out whether he had enough agency through the horrible things he did to deserve not being happy, and it’s heavily implied he didn’t!

How is this ending making any of the characters happy?!

• Agree x 4
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Maybe I was soured on it in flushed by bad seme/uke fics, but I'm now shipping TavDave caliginous thanks to the Homestuck Shipping World Cup. Am I the only one?

Also I need to work on that beta-kid-shipping fic so I can include a scene of this happening.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    • Winner x 1
  5. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I gotta be real I've never considered Dave/Tav in any quadrant but now that I'm considering them black I. I think I like this
    Chel what have you done....I DIDN'T NEED ANOTHER HOMESTUCK SHIP
    (jokes aside: thank you this is a wonderful dynamic you've gotten me to consider)

6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I’ve got a soft spot for flushed davetav because The Irony of Bubblemates was one of the first homestuck fics I read, but I could also see it pitch for sure.

One of the reasons I’m cool on davekat is because I feel like kk is the only troll I see Dave shipped with these days, when he had so much potential with a lot of them. Sollux, tavros, gamzee, maybe even nepeta... hell, I’m pretty sure I read some killer Dave<>kanaya once.

7. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

DaveSol is p good tbh, but I just never really considered a lot of Dave ships.
    my main Homestuck ship involving Dave is DaveEriSolKat....I couldn't pick one, so I just sort of squished them all together, and so now I basically just have one Dave ship :P it just happens to involve three other characters.
    but DaveTav is an interesting one.
    also the mention of Nepeta and Gamzee is reminding me that once upon a time I shipped Nep<>Gam and why?

8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Spite-shipping the beta kids. Need to prove my point by making the trolls a lot gayer. Hm.

9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, a thing which has been bothering me pretty much since I STARTED reading Homestuck in the first place; what the everloving fuck is SBurb really and where did it come from? Why do universes need to reproduce in this ridiculously overcomplicated way when they could just, I don't know, use binary fission and save everyone an awful lot of trouble? Is the game literally God? Are there other things like it? It seems really unnecessarily complex for a natural process. I always theorised that Lord English would turn out to somehow be responsible for the existence of the game in the first place, and Caliborn does have his weird creative streak even if LE is a purely destructive being. It would kind of make sense, given that he and Calliope were born rather than ecto-cloned and thus he's from "outside" the game? Maybe?

• Agree x 2
  10. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Maybe Sburb is a weird bolted-on reproductive process added to universes to compensate for all the universes dying due to LE?

11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Was LE destroying any universes that weren't inside the game? I don't remember because all that was so complicated.

Huh. I looked it up and Homestuck is classified as a tragedy in the literary sense.
    The entire issue with the alpha timeline is the characters' own flaws lead them to chaos and death and thanks to outside circumstances things can't not get worse.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Informative x 1
  12. versi2

versi2 ???????

My take on sburb:

The universe is literally a giant frog residing in a lotus pool, it reproduces by way of Skaia, which is a "dormant crucible of unlimited creative potential". Sburb seems to function on ideas and creativity and imagination, and actively seeks out sapient life. Alchemy is all about combining objects to create other objects, but in a kind of... narrative-driven way. Objects combine together in the way they seem like they should, in the context of a story supplied by the alchemists own mind. The process to create the genesis frog is even called the Ultimate Alchemy. In the world of homestuck, universes seem to need people with the capacity for creative thought to even function.

• Like x 3
  13. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I've always just sorta assumed that Sburb is malicious. It's like a parasitic wasp for universes, where it goes around laying its eggs (meteors full of babby players and ruins) and when the game code is done incubating, it 'hatches' into a new iteration of Sburb, eating the old universes in the process.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

15. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i parsed that conversation as "i made fun of other dudes for being gay, so that i wouldn't have to consider the fact that i might be the one who liked men" and dave's frequent references to masculinity and how it hurt him not as saying he's not a boy (davepeta explicitly says that dave has a "strong identity as a boy" so even if he's some variety of nonbinary, being a dude is still a part of who he is) but rather saying that he thought he couldn't be a real man unless he fit up to these ideals that society and his brother thrust upon him. and wanting to be emotionally and romantically intimate with another man is not something real men do, not according to dave's upbringing

imo it feels pretty explicitly about dave's sexuality, given his frequent references to being gay and liking dudes. karkat is uncomfortable because 1) dave did not drop and repeatedly poked at karkat's ill-hidden crush on john, in front of john, and
    2) dave is trying to explain a concept that is both alien to karkat and sort of inherently requires dave hinting at the fact that they're dating. dave and karkat are pretty reticent about that, to the point where no one on the meteor is really sure how they're dating (see vriska's "what quadrant did they end up in anyway"). it makes sense to me that karkat might be a liiittle hesitant to announce that he and dave are dating, especially when john so clearly Does Not Get It, and that karkat might get anxious and uncomfortable when it looks like the conversation is hedging in that direction. (and i very much disagree that the conversation doesn't look like it's hedging in that direction; imo it absolutely does, and not just from john's straight-by-default point of view, especially given that later dave asks dirk how he came out to his friends as gay)

karkat's all about romance, that doesn't mean he's going to want to talk in-depth about their relationship. in fact, karkat doesn't fling himself over the edge of the platform until john asks if dave and karkat are dating. karkat pauses his tantrum when the conversation topic switches away from stuff relating to him and/or dave, and on to john's romantic life. karkat is pretty clearly enjoying making john uncomfortable by turning the tables on him
    i'm not gonna read the rest of that post, because i very much enjoyed the ending of homestuck, so take my two cents with a grain of salt and all that.

• Agree x 7
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

17. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Disagree, Santa may warp time, but he does not destroy it, possibly through some equivalent exchange magic that requires that he be inactive throughout much of the rest of the year, similar to how the time dilation in homestuck stretched 24 hours over 3 years and then demanded a 3 year timeskip to even the scales.

• Like x 1
  18. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Also in no way is 'gamzee suddenly became murderous much like santa delivers presents' a logical conclusion as it discounts the extremely stressful circumstances on the meteor and how Santa and his infrastructure are around and presumably working for at least some time outside of Christmas.

Santa's probably a witch or potentially a rogue of time.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  19. I’m gonna go with the time lord Theory, despite not being a fan of dr who personally.

20. Pumpkageist

Pumpkageist Warning: I Shitpost

The secret comes out:
    santara.png

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice