Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would make sense. How smart are the lusii? I know they can't speak but are they considered close to a troll level? Alternia does seem to punish killing at your own caste or above, so killing a lusus of one's own caste... probably not a big deal in that way but it's a thought.

• Agree x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

According to someone who's read the comic Vrisky Business, the lusii can in fact communicate at least a little, and apparently Spidermom did in fact refuse to eat anything but trolls. I have a little more sympathy for Vriska now but I still think that should have been made clearer in the main comic.

• Agree x 2
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

A post which made me LOL:

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
  4. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

i saw a post that was like, davesprite absolutely has legs

those 'arms' are actually his legs

it even had a gif of him hopping about like a sparrow
    (crows walk, usually, but sometimes they just go boing boing boing, apparently because they find it fun)

• Winner x 4
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

"we're people we don't have arcs" will never not make me think of this from How Not to Write a Novel:

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

It tends to more make me think of Caitlin Kiernan, really. In her novels, The Drowning Girl especially, she'll have the characters make similar such statements. The beginning of The Drowning Girl is one that criticizes the very idea of beginnings, for example. Pointing out how very arbitrary the points we pick are and how, if one things about it, you could fall down into a seemingly endless pit of 'beginnings'. Did Imp's troubles start with Eva Canning? With seeing the painting as a child? With Saltonstall's painting of it? With his seeing of the thing that made him paint it? With the tragedy before then surrounding the area? Who knows! Imp sure as fuck doesn't. It then goes on later to criticize endings and kind of just...ends. Suddenly. We never really see the conflict resolved. We do kind of hear about bits of what one might consider a conflict resolution but even then as you read you know Imp isn't quite over this entirely yet and likely won't be for years. She's simply in the place where she can move to get over it. The book is, in general, very critical of the idea of plot. Which makes sense, seeing as Kiernan openly hates plot and is aware of the fact that her plotting skills are terrible. She considers it 'necessarily purposeful', the lack of consideration she gives towards tightly plotting things and her whining about the arbitrary nature of plot. The Drowning Girl is a book about many things thematically and one of the major themes is the nature of stories, plot, and what if anything these all mean.

And the thing is, Kiernan's novels are wonderful. In part because of how they whine about plot. Many hate the books because of this and I get that. But I find this to be one of their greatest strengths. Homestuck isn't as neat and tidy a work thematically to have pulled off that statement quite as well. It's a bit too all over the place for it to have the impact of The Drowning Girl's rather sudden, disappointing, and inconclusive ending. I do like the line, but I feel for it to have worked better it would have had to be a major theme throughout the core of the work. Which I don't feel Homestuck truly managed, though it was definitely a story about how we tell stories.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm not really the kind of person who appreciates that kind of thing much, I have to admit, but that sounds interesting.

Completely random subject change, Herding Cats got me hooked on multiple crack pairings and where the heck is my Teridan?

8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Now Hiveswap's confirmed light and dark have opposite good and evil connotations to trolls, shouldn't grimdark trolls go grimlight instead?

• Agree x 2
  9. emcapi

emcapi Well-Known Member

if you've ever read the very long (but VERY worth it) fanfic Like One Sundered Star, they've got grimlight as a whole thing, also horrorterror-based but different from grimdark. Glb'golyb and Eridan's weird angels are both grimlight.

• Informative x 2
  10. kleric

kleric Member

FLARPING.COM IS OPEN AGAIN

I arrived way too late to fandom to participate in its heyday but I have always wanted to troll RP (my 20+ (sigh) trolls need something to do and I'm crap at writing longfic so), time to hecking party, who wants to come figure out Earth C mechanics with me, I'm not leaving my computer this week

• Like x 1
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, maybe I'm overreacting because I like Gamzee, but I just saw someone say "even if he was mind controlled he's still evil because he showed no remorse". Did it really not occur to them that maybe the mind control included not showing remorse?

• Agree x 3
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Inversion theory is remarkably frustrating to me, because I can see instances of it seemingly happening in the comic, but the taker/giver classes irritate me. The symbolism for (Vriska) suggests a Page of Void and for Davesprite a Rogue of Space, but Knight seems much more like a passive class than Page. Knights take action, but according to Calliope and all other analyses that's not what the active/passive dichotomy means in terms of classpect. A passive class is one who uses their aspect for others, and a Knight defends and serves their team while a Page uses their aspect to fuel their own growing power.

13. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

hmm. I dunno. I'm not sure the Knight necessarily has to defend their TEAM--they utilize their aspect for fighting and defense, sure, but I've never seen anything that suggests they have to serve their team or that the way they utilize their aspect has to be in defense of others. they could easily use their aspect to protect and fight for themselves, or for the aspect itself. I've always seen it as similar to a Witch--they absolutely can do things for their team that come specifically from classpect powers, but the class isn't strictly about what they do for their team, Knight is just about using their aspect as a weapon and shield in general, not necessarily their team. they may not be the MOST active of classes, but I also don't think they're strictly serving others as a class. it might go better long-term if they're looking out for their teammates but I don't think they gotta. also worth noting they've been called tacticians--they could be considered active on the basis of, they're doing the thinking and planning rather than just letting things go and following orders always all the time (or at least they're trying to).

similarly, I'm not sure Pages fuel themselves only. I think they can also create the aspect for the benefit of others, or even possibly give some of their aspect's strength to others. we've never seen a fully realized Page to know, but I don't think they're 100% self-focused either.

basically, given that passive/active is a sliding scale (as I understand it), I think Knight is definitely active, just maybe not the MOST active. similarly, I feel like Pages are some level of passive, just not the most passive. I've also always interpreted part of "passive" as quite literally meaning that the player isn't the type who'd fit well in an active fight and is maybe supposed to, to some extent and varied extent for different classes, just kind of exist and let things happen around them rather than directly influencing them. I feel like using your aspect to protect and fight is interference on some level, and it's also a pretty active USE of your aspect. I also think Pages might be more "just let things happen, passively increase aspect just by being around" when fully realized, but again, we haven't seen a fully realized Page, so who knows tbh.

• Agree x 1
  14. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

We're setting up a Polyswap Big Bang!

The schedule shouldn't overlap too heavily with anything else (we hope), as we've tried to coordinate with some other ongoing & planned swaps and big bangs:
    Tentative Big Bang Schedule
    September 28-October 27: Signups Open
    October 28-November 3: Signup Extension
    November 13: Writer summaries due + Check in #1
    November 18: Summaries posted for artists to look at
    November 25-December 1: Art claims + Everyone is matched
    December 2-January 20:Work Period
    January 21: Final drafts due (at least 80% if no extension)
    January 22: Posting details sent out + Final check in
    January 26: Posting begins

And here's a Big Bang Explanation, because we got a question about that just now!

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  15. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
  16. keltka

so one worry I've got about setting up a zine for polsywap is how to pick the pairings for it
    I want to have an even mix of like...letting people write what they're into
    but not overlapping it too much
    BUT ALSO covering some of the...well-loved poly pairings? the dilemma becomes: how the FUCK do I cover all angles??

if any of y'all have suggestions for what Big Polys might be? or a general system to discern what pairs?

(also, should I cross-post this to general advice, for advice on a general system? do we have a General Fandom Advice thread somewhere?? oh god.)

17. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

big polys i see a lot:
    jadedavekat
    beta ot4
    alpha ot4
    erifefsol
    janeroxycallie

good luck dude!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  18. You know, the term “valid human name” sounds really weird if you remove/don’t know the Homestuck context.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  19. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

To be honest, I’ve never seen the passive/active dichotomy as very much about powers but a lot about personality, and neither Tavros or Jake can really be called takers (the knights don’t really fit, I agree)

Also, Calliope isn’t a completely reliable narrator (no one is in Homestuck) and as a cherub, I think she puts more of an emphasis on duality than actually exists.

• Agree x 1
  20. keltka

So we're about to start ramping up advertising for the Polyswap Big Bang!

One idea we had in mind is two separate tumblrs, for the 18+ swap (sfw allowed, adults only) and the SFW swap (adults allowed, no NSFW at all), but if y'all have any other suggestions or ideas on how we can/should promote stuff, please let me know :D

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice