Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Well, you don't use strength and mangrit to deal with being hit; you use constitution, defense, and durability.

2. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if those are actually stats in Homestuck.

I’m not trying to argue that John hitting his dad with a hammer is in any way a good thing - just that the Egberts might have a different definition of roughhousing

3. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Also, it's early Homestuck, Hussie had not yet defined any mechanics other than "it spoofs on old games and I think it's funny."

• Agree x 2
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

If I was writing a non-game AU I'd go for him trying to hit the cake, but yeah, Rule of Funny at that point in canon.

• Agree x 2
  5. turtleDove

Probably not, I think I was more going for some sort of D&D reference joke* and I was definitely tired at the time.

(*Such as "well, you don't use Constitution to defend against being poisoned when it's a poison trap, that's a Reflex check".)

6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I think I solved my problem of how to make Prospit just as awful as Derse in my Royaltystuck idea! (I didn't want to change the personalities of the trolls like Karkat which rely on them living in a dystopia.) I found "Appalling Fecundity" in this D&D book, and it fits with deliverusfromsburb's description of Skaia as "destructive creation" versus Lord English's "creative destruction". Obviously it can't be at apocalypse levels all the time but it's a useful idea.

• Informative x 3
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I haven't quite figured out whether the carapaces are supposed to be able to speak aloud or not. The Midnight Crew talk over radios, but WV apparently never says a word on the meteor.

8. Maybe he’s just not much of a talker? He’s able to rally his fellow carapacians into a revolution in other sessions so presumably he CAN talk and just doesn’t.

• Agree x 1
  9. Birdy

Birdy so long

maybe they have a purely signed language

• Agree x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I was thinking sign language but, as I said, the Midnight Crew talk over radio.

11. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

maybe their voices exist entirely in ultrasound

12. turtleDove

It could be the difference between types of carapaces? WV's a peon whose narrative role in SBURB/SGRUB, barring specific session variations, is to be a farmer on the battlefield whose farm gets wrecked by the fighting and tries to lead a rebellion that inevitably is crushed.

It's also possible that carapaces can speak to each other just fine, but clearly communicating with a carapace if you're not using your dreamself requires a special badge (which could be represented, in a non-game fic, by the carapaces speaking a different language entirely).

I have read at least one fic that split the difference and had most carapaces use sign language as their primary means of communication, while some were capable of verbal communication - generally only ones that would need to speak to the players, like the royalty and the agents.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

My theory: Carapaces speak only in narration, and they can't directly communicate with anyone who uses actual dialogue (though I guess that's not quite a theory as much as it is just taking canon extremely literally)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  14. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Its one of those weird Meta-powers right up there with sprite-flipping.

• Agree x 2
  15. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

• Winner x 5
  16. Ihasa

Ihasa Active Member

17. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

fun idea: tell everyone AT LEAST one headcanon you have for anyone in homestuck. self indulgent as possible. what do they look like through your eyes? are they attached to a certain au that has your heart? do they have a certain habit or hobby that you think they'd have? what makes them more real to you?

• I think Alpha Rose submitted her first book as a joke because she didn't expect to get published for real, then just kind of rolled with the flow once she realized "oh, shit, so this is happening now i guess."
    • The idea of Terezi trying out exotic fruits and stuff is amusing as hell to me because how best to describe the unfamiliar? She'd have so many more descriptions for what people smell or taste like afterward and so many people wouldn't know what the fuck she's talking about but C4NNOT UNSEESM3LL
    • Nepeta is a tea snob.
    • If John and Jake are allergic to peanuts, I wonder what Jade and Jane are highkey/low key allergic to. What about the Derse kids. There's so many options. I used to think like.. flowers surprisingly for Jade and Jane, and some of Jade's flower fiddling around was to find strains she wasn't allergic to and could enjoy freely.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Porrim is a transwoman because fuck you I said she is.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  19. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

• Feferi taught Eridan to knit and he got Really Into It—it's hit the point where instead of "storing" her yarn stash, she's showing up at his hive to raid his
    • Karkat starts out the Small Friend and ends up a fucking stocky block of muscle
    • Sollux pretends not to know how to knit but he actually uses his psionics to make server cozies

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 2
  20. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Agrinner (??? I can't click both). I like transmasc Karkat a lot.

Humanstuck Eridan as that kid from a super conservative and wealthy fam, that would parrot all their worst opinions at anyone who so much as breathed in his vicinity. Karkat absolutely punched him once. He shows up again sometime mid sophomore year of college wearing dresses and make up and fucking around with xer pronouns because xe was finally away from xer fam long enough to have some.... realization about just how deep xe'd buried xerself in the closet.

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice