1. Yes, we're aware that McAfee is reporting this as a "malicious site", we don't know why. I have some indirect evidence suggesting someone filed a bogus report somewhere. In the mean time, doing some software updates. Probably safe/harmless, but things might be down occasionally until it's done.
    Dismiss Notice

Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

i've made jokes before that detective pony was the true ending all along, but i didn't actually expect it to happen

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
  2. LunarCress

LunarCress Member

Oh hey there's a livestream of the epilogue with some of the nin hussie writers on it

3. Aondeug

Aondeug 宗教の学生

I started with meat first because I'm lefthanded. This is the best way to decide anything. Not through it yet. But I am getting through it.

4. Aondeug

Aondeug 宗教の学生

I just realized that given the whole Jane is a fascist thing one of my favorite characters is now a cursed fav to have. God dammit.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 2
  5. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident POTSie potato.

i woke up when the epilogues hit and then spent 8 straight hours reading instead of getting anything else in my day done, whoops. interesting read! i'm still gonna be doing things exactly the way i've been doing them fandomwise, but interesting read. ovo

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 1
  6. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

I'm still not through the epilogue, but I'm really not digging the 'jane is a fascist with trump parallels' development.

But I think Hussie has been massively unkind to Jane and Jake for honestly not great reasons in the past.

• Agree x 2
  7. garden

garden lucid dreamer

started with meat, now i'm on candy, and
    is
    is jade more or less saying she has a dog dick now courtesy of bec
    or... just a regular dick??

honestly with how much the word "betas" gets dropped i'm just waiting for the inevitable A/B/O conclusion

8. I really wish I weren’t busy all weekend, I haven’t even started

9. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

I have a lot of hurt feelings
    Which is not to say I didn't enjoy them! Holy fuck this blew me away.
    But the whole
    Dirk being toxic masculine gaslighting abusive narcissistic god
    thing has me with a bit of a heavy heart. It's like everything horrible that might have been dismissed or seen as redeemed was just. Nah dude, Dirk Strider in all iterations is pretty insufferable and shitty. Am so conflicted bc God I love him as a character so much but the last scene with Jake and Dirk just--
    how DARE you, after brainwashing and mind controlling and persuading and hurting people so badly and being so selfish how DARE you be so.tender with Jake. How fucking dare you say that HE won't break YOUR heart again you absolute piece of shit

I love all my Striders. But my heart is just a teensy bit broken :(

ETA: fixed my spoilers YIKES MY BAD

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    • Agree x 6
  10. garden

garden lucid dreamer

@Gee
    i think you have your spoiler titles mixed up? by which i mean, the things you have written as "Candy specific" are actually Meat specific?

anyways... i read meat first, then candy
    i don't actually know that i have a lot to say at this point. guess i'm still thinking about it?

though i gotta say. if i decide to reread this at any point in the future. i will probably just read meat. and probably just chuck candy out the window for the most part. i was pretty surprised to learn that meat and candy are about the same length (95k words) because candy seemed like it went on for forever.

so in retrospect. there was a lot that i liked about meat. and liked more in retrospect, after reading candy. maybe it would have been a better first-read experience for me if i had read candy first, gotten that out of the way, then read meat.

anyways . i'm kind of torn, because there was some stuff i liked, and there are some interesting questions and elements that might be worth thinking about, but i also can't help but think

no seriously this is me being a serious wet blanket here, feel free to ignore
    i can't help but think that maybe spending ANY more time thinking about this would be a profound waste of time

i'm crying over this horseshit and i can't even articulate why i'm so upset when there are things i did like and thought were interesting maybe

but i just miss when it was john and karkat and their friends trying to play a game

• Agree x 5
  11. GlassesBlu

GlassesBlu I'm Riso and I'm a cool fool

Yeah V from homestuck recommended reading Candy then Meat which I have done
    Still reading Meat tho

• Informative x 1
  12. Aondeug

Aondeug 宗教の学生

Something was here. It is not now. Splitting quarantining being done. Prevention? One of those.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    • Witnessed x 2
  13. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

• Witnessed x 4
    • Useful x 1
  14. TheOthin

TheOthin nerf lyn

I read meat first, then candy, which is my personal recommendation.

I I liked both of them overall, although meat more so. Better high points, and not as bad low points. The beginning of candy, in particular, was not easy to get through.

• Agree x 1
  15. Reading candy first, because who the hell eats raw meat is why. First sentence:

“John thinks.”

They changed the perspective from second-person to third-person. That can’t be good.

• Agree x 1
  16. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. mericorn

mericorn doin my best

So the best theory I've seen so far is that Meat is Caliborn's fanfiction and Candy is Calliope's. I'm not sure if it's true, but it's what I'm going to hold onto.

18. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

if anything I would think it was the opposite

19. gemini28

gemini28 Don't Do A Hit

So, i REALLY enjoyed the epilogues. i read candy-meat, and i think that was one of the most fucked up things ive had to read in, a while, that wasn't specifically dead dove fanfic.

but man, it is a weirdly satisfying read. i felt an actual emotional gutpunch once dirk started talking in his meta voice. the link between that and muse calliopes talking about how different storytellers can warp stories (or whatever the hell all that was) just fucking destroyed me. also, the thing with the car and candy john being wrong in who, exactly, died in there? chefs kiss

i also got it pointed out to me that dirks Ultimate Self involved doc scratch, lord english, and arquiussprite. so...while i dont think he fell apart physically like rose, i ALSO dont think at all that hes in his right mind. but, because of who he is and who hes absorbed, he doesnt realize that anythings truly amiss. muse callie also needs to shape the fuck up, candy was a nightmare hellscape, if aptly named.

FINALLY i dont think that these characters cant be saved somehow. while i dont know what canonical machinations there can be to stop both the Ultimate Self and a fully realized muse, i can enjoy myself by thinking solely about another narrator beating them soundly about the head with a broom and yelling at them

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. Aondeug

Aondeug 宗教の学生

Slept on it. Opinion is still that it seems pointlessly meanspirited and nihilistic. I can understand that that's not the intent, but authorial intent only matters so much. The thing feels mean, cruel, and intensely nihilistic. None of which I'm here for, especially that last bit. Nihilism and I have never had a cordial relationship, and it's only grown colder the older I get. So back to my regularly scheduled 'Homestuck can't possibly be ended satisfactorily and honestly that's fine because I'm not even really here for that but instead the pieces of an incredibly flexible mythology that I am free to do what I please with', I suppose.

I also still don't want a continuation to it. My thoughts regarding Homestuck ending in that regard remain the same as they were when Act 7 dropped. I'm just happy it's over and I want it to stay over because honestly the canon is beginning to wear out its welcome.

• Agree x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice