Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

There’s a femme version but the one I found on YouTube was too audio crunchy for my taste

Eta: a word

• Informative x 1
  2. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

oh also!! official decision for seadweller zine is online charity zine, so if anyone's got tips on setting up a "pay what you want" gateway kinda thing and/or suggestions for ocean-related/themed charities, that'd be bomb

• Informative x 1
  3. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

A bunch of posts were wiggled, back to the regularly scheduled homestuck.

• Winner x 5
    • Informative x 4
  4. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

A24B8532-18B9-451E-BBF5-9B1511C404D5.jpeg 5A67F7BC-59A7-4A55-A309-4A1FD541A6A6.jpeg 9446EE33-C708-4061-AA4E-5CF881459607.jpeg

• Like x 8
    • Winner x 3
    • Winner x 1
  6. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Seadweller zine now has an official twitter!

Mod apps close May 20th so get your app in if you're interested. Previous modding experience not necessarily required but is preferred.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Like x 2
  7. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

• Winner x 1
  8. Knives

Knives Active Member

people who are annoyed that the epilogue wasn't super fluffy candy where everyone lives happily ever after clearly didn't read the same comic as i did, honestly.

when has anything ever been purely, plainly, simply happy in homestuck? and if it was... what would be the point?

• Agree x 2
  9. Knives

Knives Active Member

side-note; i choose to reserve judgement on Dirk until there's a followup or a confirmation of no followup

taking all of this at face value seems... wrong

• Agree x 4
  10. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

No one i've seen has been disappointed that it wasn't pure fluff. Mostly they've been upset that characters became fascists out of left field and in general it seems to be a 'aww you cared? you wanted all the pain and difficulty the characters went through to have an end, or a point, or anything? fuck you and your fave is a fascist/transphobic/a pushy sex creep now.'

• Agree x 7
  11. Knives

Knives Active Member

• Like x 3
  12. KarrinBlue

i very much doubt the writers intended to write something mean spirited. unfortunately for many people, they did. it's not self centered to go 'wow i really didn't like this', and replying with 'but i wanted you to like it! you must have read it wrong' is pretty useless.

• Agree x 13
  13. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

the idea that people dislike the epilogues because they "just don't get it" is a bad take, honestly

like, definitely, reading the effort people have gone to explaining the epilogues and why the mean something or matter has gone a long way to softening the blow of how much they hurt for me, and i'm more or less of the opinion that, yeah, the "point" the epilogues were trying to get across was pretty good

but the fact is, whatever the epilogues were attempting to do, the very first thing they did was what felt like they asked me to hand over my heart, pretty please, and then stomped it. and i get the argument for it, and i see the parallels to real life, and like. okay.

but they hurt, and i am not fucking obligated to go "oh but that was actually a good idea, wasn't it"

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. Knives

Knives Active Member

I never said that there was any "not getting it"

Just that acting like anything that happened in the epilogue was some sort of direct fuck you to people who liked the characters is absolutely ridiculous. People change over time! And there's not really any point in life where conflict just Stops Happening because you've overcome the Conflict Demons and you deserve happiness forever and ever or something.

and like. if there was no conflict, what would be the point? there's a million fluff fanfics about people being happy and just getting into silly relationships, if that's what you wanted, then there's plenty of it for you to read.

15. KarrinBlue

i just said. I don't think it was an intentional fuck you. That doesn't change that it came off as a very fuck-you story to many people

Further, have you considered that there are stories and tones between 'uwu silly fluff forever' and 'your fave is a bigoted fascist for no reason, no one even seems to like each other, and everything is at least 50% futile' and that acting as though people who want something in that vast range only want the former is pretty rude and dismissive

• Agree x 11
  16. mericorn

mericorn doin my best

I'm upset because my fave Jane became a Trump parallel, when I feel like that wasn't even hinted at in Homestuck proper, unlike with Dirk becoming a metanarrative sociopath.

Certain characters got out better than others in terms of changes and respectability. Karkat and Dave remain pretty unchanged from Homestuck proper. It feels unfair that chatacters that I like get to be sacrificed to be the Condecse but serious, while more popular ones get to be themselves and morally superior.

• Agree x 3
  17. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

... Personally, I’m exhausted and hurting after reading the whole thing, and on some level kinda wish I hadn’t, but at the same time, the sheer volume of This Feels Wrong paradoxically kinda gives me hope?

... Also, I think Hussie’s prose is a pretty less-is-more substance, and a whole novel-length story in it gets seriously grating after the first few paragraphs. Like goddamn, dude does not let off the gas.

Anyway, ow, but it’s kinda just... more of the same “ow” I’ve been feeling since Thank You For Playing? Didn’t feel right then, continues to not feel right now, think I’ll go back to ignoring both the canon and canonically non-canon endings and imagine them being all alive and more or less OK in a world that exists on its own terms and isn’t, like, candy-colored, inexplicably manic and constantly, deeply unnerving.... holy crap the universe where the epilogue is taking place is in Trickster Mode.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  18. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

I liked the epilogue a lot and while I'm not surprised it went in the direction it did, I think it's incredibly silly to rag on people (especially grown adults, c'mon) for not liking it. It's entirely reasonable to have had hope that Homestuck would have gone in more positive, hopeful direction that it ultimately went - there's plenty of potential in the story to have gone that direction and still been Homestuck. (There's an AU I need to catch back up on that splits off from Game Over that does exactly that; it was very, very good, and I'm sure it still is.)

I liked the trans stuff, even though I felt the reveal was a little over-earnest and clumsy...

Dirk having a fit over it was entirely in character for a neurotic control freak who can't handle ambiguity - I noticed it bothers him a lot already that he can't read Roxy, and Roxy making strong personal discoveries that Dirk hasn't figured out in advance upsets him. He simmered down considerably when Terezi scolded him about pronouns and he learned that Roxy started using 'he'. His behavior was transphobic, but the granular detail of it was less 'ew trans people are icky' and way more 'you aren't what I thought you were and I can't do anything about it and it's something that unsettles my extremely binary view of the universe and I can't deal with that'.

I also liked Candy!Roxy, even though it was uncomfortable to read their explanation of their gender stuff at first. They lived a very different life that went different places and made decisions based on that. I know for myself sometimes I wish I'd had the opportunity to transition much, much younger, but I wouldn't trade my life now for having that, because I like where my life is now.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 4
  19. lvkz

lvkz Well-Known Karkat

nah dirk is a gay man, he sees roxy as basically role playing as a boy and will never be a real one imo

gay men are like, very personally offended by someone trying to intrude upon their sacred gender

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice