Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Amen

• Agree x 7
  2. Petra

Petra space case

I think Jane's xenophobia also has to be taken in context w/ the shit that went down with the Condesce and with what she knows happened to Earth after she entered the Medium. Sort of overcompensating for not believing Roxy all those years ago? Obviously going full genocidal fascism is in no way an appropriate response but that's not how it starts - she starts by wanting to regulate troll reproduction for reasons that make a lot of sense on paper, and then the reaction to that convinces her trolls are unreasonable which leads to tighter restrictions which leads to worse reactions, etc.

Like from a meta standpoint it's going 'hey racist fascists sometimes start out as people you know and like buying and pushing skewed rhetoric and that shit can evolve so you've gotta be able to deal with them without letting your fondness for who they used to be make you complicit.' I've only read Candy so far but there's hella timeskips there.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  3. Petra

Petra space case

Basically Jane's government is like her economy - she's convinced it's rational and logical but it's really quite emotional! She starts by going w/ her gut on what 'feels right' instead of examining why that feels so right and then when she gets criticism it's interpreted as a personal attack.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

we've hit fifteen signups overall for polyswap!
    six for prospit and nine for derse
    and yes it took all of my strength to avoid the jokes

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
  5. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

*Clears their throat loudly then leans in close to the microphone*

Nice.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Like x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • Winner x 2
  6. keltka

I *literally* put them in the opposite order and mentioned the pinch hitter signups in the tumblr post because I would've Died

• Winner x 2
  7. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

gotta keep them pure innocent 6's far away from the devious 9's preferred order, everyone back to back now, hands where we can see them

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I don't even bother filing anything off. I just take them. Shit's mine now, dammit. We're never going to get anything I feel or make published in an 'official' capacity but that's ok because that's not the point.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
  9. Knives

Knives Active Member

I'm gonna be honest it's pretty off-putting the number of people who are totally willing to weigh in on the epilogue without ever having even read it

like, you can't form a decent opinion of something manufactured totally based on second-hand impressions from other people.

• Agree x 2
  10. lvkz

lvkz Well-Known Karkat

or it’s fucking fandom and everybody is allowed to have fun lol

11. keltka

• Winner x 2
  12. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

I'm not reading the homestuck epilogues but I got a question for the people who have read them: is it ever explained how the stuff with the betas apparently being trapped inside the house juju (?) works out? like, how they went to fight caliborn, and then how they got out of that situation?

iirc that stuff wasn't explained in the comic proper (unless I missed something, which is probably likely) and I was wondering if the epilogue would explain it, but I haven't heard anyone mention it while speaking of the epilogues recently

13. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

pretty much, yeah
    In the Meat ending, John retcons himself back to act 6, grabs past Jade, Dave, Rose, and the alphas, brings them to his house a week before the meteors hit, they come up with a loose plan, go to fight, and he and young Jade, Dave, and Rose end up trapped in the Juju until Vriska's attack lets them out. then they all p much die, except for john. jade's corpse is possessed by alt-calliope, and john floats around until he finds terezi.

• Informative x 3
  14. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

rose referred to it as "loading and unloading" the juju. "loading" is when they got trapped inside. "unloading" is when the juju was activated again (though by what or how exactly i don't remember) and they were released

15. Knives

Knives Active Member

side note: i enjoy the epilogue but mrgrgr it messes with some of my aesthetic affiliations with characters and now i gotta redo my personal moodboard god damnit hussie

jade is perfect now, though.

16. Okay, that’s fair. Sorry about that.

17. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

I don't think it's particularly fair, actually. I read the prologue and a few pages of candy and quit because it was making me uncomfortable in a way that my brain just doesn't need. Opinions that I've read here (and I've read everyone's) make me feel well and truly like that was the right choice. I may not be able to comment directly on the text, but I can comment on this discussion, which is that a number of people were upset and hurt by the epilogue and what it did to the characters, and then some other people are telling those people that they are incorrect or acting entitled to feel that way.

People (most of which seem to have read the epilogues /in their entirety/) expressing a personal disappointment is not entitlement. Wanting a character to have a character arc you find fulfilling is not entitlement. Being angry and hurt that a story you love fell into tropes you are sick of is not entitlement. Going up to Hussie or the other writers and demanding whatever? That would be entitlement.

I don't see the people who are not happy with the epilogues here complaining that they're owed anything by Hussie, just offering what seems to me very compelling criticism on the narrative and the impact, intentional or otherwise, it had on them.

If you liked the epilogues, that's great. It has next to no effect on me and I'm glad you took something good from a piece of art. That has no bearing on my personal discomfort with them. It can work for you and not for me. Art is like that sometimes.

Edit: added in slightly more context with a quote from knives in addition to nectarines

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Agree x 12
    • Like x 2
  18. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

• Winner x 4
  19. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

resharing this cause its fun

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 3
  20. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

There's something satisfying to me about how of every troll, the one who had the biggest contribution at the end (unless you count Vriska unloading the juju) is arguably Nepeta through Davepetasprite. The idea that the troll that Hussie outright said was an expendable character had more of an influence on that fight than Rose or Jade boggles my mind.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    • Agree x 5
    • Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice