LET'S COMPLAIN ABOUT THE WEATHER

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by BunjyWunjy, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

There's practically no snow in most of the European ski-resorts. They've resorted (ha!) to fake snow on the main skiing routes. The boyfriend of a friend of mine is currently on holiday, and I've seen pictures. It doesn't look like it's much fun.

• Like x 1
  2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Car ran out of gas this morning. Jogged the rest of the way to work, usually about 20 minutes, made it in 15. It's -5f 0u0

3. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

I do love the way ice crystals just hang in the air when it's around 0°, tho

4. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

less than a quarter of an inch of snow has fallen on my parent's home town and they've already canceled schools

5. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

Where the heck do you live they don't even consider canceling class unless we get more than a foot here

6. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Honestly, a quarter inch of snow might just be enough to get schools cancelled where I live (middle of Texas.) Although the real issue is actually ice - if it gets icy enough, driving can be dangerous for those who virtually never drive in icy conditions. Or at least, that's why I remember school getting cancelled a few times in 11th or 12th grade - there wasn't any actual snow, just ice.

7. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

yeah, ice is the worst up here, too. there's no real way to cope with it no matter where you live, 100% agree.
    thankfully it's usually too cold for road ice but there have been exceptions this year already, aaagh.

• Like x 1
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

The train tracks leak and when it gets this cold (6 atm, 11 earlier) the leaks freeze into massive sidewalk ice slicks that are seriously dangerous. Fun times for me walking to the train station!

• Like x 1
  9. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Last year around this time we had such bad weather around where my parents live that you could ice-skate in the streets because of all the ice deposits.

10. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

is snowing
    heavily
    I have therapy today.

11. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

Screenshot_20170106-083115-01.jpeg
    *muffled screaming*

• Like x 1
  12. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

IT'S SNOWING??? HERE?????? WTF THE FUCK???????

13. Sethrial MacCoill

Nashville, TN
    I can do you one better, though. Schools in Chattanooga were closed because it might snow. It did for about twenty minutes and nothing stuck, but schools were out all day.

• Like x 1
  14. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

That happens at least every other year here (SC, for reference). To be fair, only the military families relocated here from further north understand how to drive in the snow, and a couple of years ago we had to convert schoolbuses to snow plows because there's like five in my entire metropolitan area. So when snow threatens people go nuts and it's dangerous to go to the damn grocery store.

15. Southe-lands

Southe-lands A Cliff in Front, a Wolf Behind.

20170106_164949.png
    Winter is coming. And going. And coming again. And going again. And-

• Like x 3
  16. Sethrial MacCoill

Ok, real talk though. The reason that schools in the south, especially the rural south, get closed even if it doesn't actually snow is that a lot of kids don't have winter jackets down here. The rural areas are usually really low income and winter coats, especially for growing kids when you have to buy a new one every year, aren't in the budget a lot of the time. Kids standing at bus stops in the cold isn't a good thing. School buses aren't really well heated either, so if they're way out in the country that could be an hour or more in the cold. The roads also never get salted that far out (and a lot of them are mountainous), so if it does snow while they're at school they might not have a way to get home.

• Like x 1
  17. sirsparklepants

Every time you post I'm like 'do you live in like the state next door' because our weather is so similar. (to be clear, that was just an observation, not a request for location.)

18. Southe-lands

Southe-lands A Cliff in Front, a Wolf Behind.

@sirsparklepants Houston, if you're curious. Really the entire Gulf coast has been wild this year though.

19. sirsparklepants

@Sethrial MacCoill very true, in my area it's a chore just to find goddamn long underwear, let alone a good coat. Winter coats are ridiculously expensive. And the South suffers a lot from sprawl compared to, say, New England. I knew a lot of kids that spent over an hour on the school bus because our district was so spread out, and I live in a city.

@South-lands nowhere near me, then, but the yo-yoing weather happens here a lot.

20. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

so it's still exoplanet levels of cold here, but I saw this on my way to work:
    IMG_20170106_082644~01.jpg
    SUNDOG! (FIGHTER OF THE MOONDOG)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    • Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice