Let's Go Steal a Dungeon (MotBM OOC/Planning)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by The Frood Abides, Jul 21, 2016.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I love knowing my character is wrong and running with it from time to time, it's fun!

• Like x 3
  2. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

As long as you're prepared to accept the consequences. :hussiedance:

• Like x 1
  3. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

sorry for being quiet these past couple days! start of school, etc. I've pretty much established a schedule by now, so hopefully I should be able to post more often now. that being said, I don't think there's anything Lyriae can do right at this moment? unless making a high Perception check would result in more information/realization about the cloak over the painting than Stella already has. also, like, don't most D&D characters stick to what their characters know to dictate their actions, not what they know? it's not really roleplaying otherwise, and I can't imagine it's much fun.

4. The Frood Abides

@esotericPrognosticator Some people metagame. It's kind of a dick move but people will argue for ages that their character would TOTALLY have deduced this thing...

However, I should say that I intended y'all to notice what just went down. If something requires a Perception check I will not describe it unless someone passes that check beforehand. It's funny and in-character for Sarnai to fail to notice and Stella to fail to understand the implications (a textbook example of low WIS vs low INT), but you don't all have to continue ignorant of Chanterelle's betrayal... unless the three of you who have not yet reacted agree it's more interesting that way. :noms:

• Like x 3
  5. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Does having Stella point out the door outloud help in any way? I wanted to help bring attention to the party what just happened, but she has no reason to either believe she's been betrayed or really understand what just happened on her end, merely that 'hey, the thing's dark, huh?'

• Like x 1
  6. swirlingflight

I'm doing the thing of giving time for at least one other player to respond before I post again.

(I noticed earlier, in group rp, I like to let at least two people post before I post a second time, and for everyone to have posted at least once before I post a third time. This is not a guideline I'm pushing on us, just the one I use for myself. Having nice firm rules eased some of my worrying.)

7. The Frood Abides

No word from @Wiwaxia in a little over a week, come to think of it. (btw, these periodic nudges are just in case someone forgets; if you're going to be unable to post for a while, let me know and I will not bug you about it.)

Unrelated: you all have no idea how much gleeful cackling this game inspires in me.

• Like x 3
  8. missoyashirou

In a sense, I'm kind of hoping this continues needlessly long. Like somehow Chanterelle is the end boss or something, but we're all just convinced she's an innocent little elf we found in a painting due to more unlucky rolls and contrived circumstances until she's at the last encounter and we're all 'my God, who could have predicted this twist?! How is this possible???'

And Chanterelle is just making a face into the camera likee that guy from the Office, just sheer :|.

Note, I don't know how deep Chanterelle's involvement actually goes in the module, so please don't think I looked up spoilers if she is indeed the big bad somehow.

• Like x 1
  9. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

does it count as playing against your character's stats when they know they should do the thing, like look away from their notes, but are still hyperfocused on something else? Bc Liron has a good wis score, and knows she should look up, but she also knows that these notes aren't gonna write themselves

• Like x 1
  10. The Frood Abides

@thegrimsqueaker I feel like stats are more like guidelines to RP -- they already govern everything your character is capable of mechanically, after all. "Extremely perceptive when they're not getting nerdsniped by the ceiling" is hard to simulate with 3 mental "ability scores," but it's fun!

11. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

I'm just disappointed that Chanterelle can't be the Medusa, tbh, because Frood said that the Medusa is bi according to the module, while Chanterelle has no particular orientation specified. WHERE ARE THE SHOCKING PLOT TWISTS, DAMMIT!!!

• Like x 1
  12. thegrimsqueaker

@The Frood Abides I'm shocked, just shocked, that d&d stats don't easily reflect brainweirds 38P

though I do feel a little like I'm cheating at the roleplaying part of this by playing Liron w ADHD symptoms. I don't want them to be elf!me, I want them to be their own character, and I keep worrying I'm putting too much of myself into them @___@ but then, the other people I'm basing Liron on do the same things too, and aside from Curiosity, they aren't people I identify w v much

• Like x 1
  13. The Frood Abides

@thegrimsqueaker Playing a neurotypical, mentally healthy*, human fighter was probably the most challenging RP experience of my life. (Then he died at level 4 and I went back to projecting my anxiety and depression on all my PCs :toot:)

*ok so maybe a cook who does murders for a living is not exactly STABLE, but like nothing fazed him or kept him upset for long.

edit: @esotericPrognosticator be very careful what you wish for. :P

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    • Like x 2
  14. The Frood Abides

@Wiwaxia @missoyashirou @thegrimsqueaker @swirlingflight @esotericPrognosticator

Combat!

All of you roll initiative and let me know the result. Monsters roll as a side. Those who beat the monsters get to act in any order. Then the monsters go. After that, the party acts in any order. When everyone's acted, the monsters go again. Repeat till bloody resolution.

When you move, if there's any lack of clarity as to the destination square, I have provided letter-number coordinates.

If you wish to use a reaction (like one of Sarnai's inspiration dice) to alter the outcome of something, let me know in this thread before the end of the round. We'll edit any relevant posts.

If any of these don't work well we can revise them.

15. missoyashirou

Should we respond in thread with Initiatives, or respond here and as we come up in the Initiative roll in play then respond with actions? (Regardless of answer, I rolled and got 2 + 3 (Dex bonus) = 5)

16. The Frood Abides

Post your initiative here, please.

17. swirlingflight

Initiative roll: 16! That flower is potent, she smelled it coming.

I'm not sure if this is is what you meant, but it makes sense to me that everybody would have a bard-given inspiration die, since we're fresh off our illegal excursion. She would've given them morale boosts before heading in.

18. The Frood Abides

Sure, but BI can only be used [CHA mod] times per long rest. So you've got to pick 3 party members.

I was using Bardic Inspiration as one example. My point was that reactions can retroactively alter the outcome of a roll, which becomes a little trickier in PbP format.

• Like x 1
  19. thegrimsqueaker

20. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice