Let's Go Steal a Dungeon (MotBM OOC/Planning)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by The Frood Abides, Jul 21, 2016.

1. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

Yes, thank you. (I swear this is the last set of rolls before I post IC...)

• Like x 1
  2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Grapple w/ acrobatics 19+3+0=22
    wis save 5+3-1=7

I have a sinking feeling Alabaster just grappled Sarnai into the ground.

• Like x 1
  3. The Frood Abides

Fortunately that is not the case.

WEAPONS FREE. Everyone can act now!

• Like x 1
  4. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Do I stand a risk of hitting Sarnai (or Liron and Lyriae for that matter) if I use a throwing axe on the plant-monster currently grappling her? I don't think I have enough movement to get in the corner beside the other monster, but I think I can get either the humming bird or a distance attack against the plant monsters and the hummingbird.

5. The Frood Abides

It'll make the plant monster harder to hit (half cover, bonus to AC and DEX saves), but you won't run a risk of hitting an ally.

6. The Frood Abides

...'Kay. That kills it.

@swirlingflight, you're no longer grappled, but I need you and @Wiwaxia to make DEX and WIS saves. Again.

7. Wiwaxia

fuck

4+0 and 2+3-1=4

8. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Oh shit, I am so sorry D;

9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Wis=17 (16+1) and Dex=16 (14+2)

10. swirlingflight

Double-checked for fun, but alas, multiclassing into Ranger would take 13 Dex and 13 Wis. Sarnai can never have favored enemy (plants.)

...But Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, Sorcerer, and Warlock are on the table. If, you know, I wasn't more concerned with the hope of surviving to get Countercharm and Extra Attack...

11. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

fuck plants amiright

thank you for bringing ranger multiclassing for the purpose of obtaining favored enemies to my attention, because I think I have just discovered the resolution of Lyriae's character arc. the only way she can reach fulfillment as a character is to become a rogue/ranger, or ronger, and take plants as her favored enemies in order to truly express her hatred for them. never mind that her backstory includes no connection with or inclination towards nature! she must destroy the plants. you can multiclass based on ability scores that have had level bonuses added, right? and there's an ability score bonus at level 6? if so she is so close to her dream...

@The Frood Abides Alabaster has to act before the rest of the party can take their second turns, right? and I have a question about how monster stats work in 5e: does each type of monster have a set number of hit dice (e.g., 3d8) and you roll for each individual monster's HP like you would for a player (like in AD&D)? or do you roll hit dice for the whole group of monsters' HP at once like you do for advantage? or does each type of monster just have a set number of HP with no hit dice involved?

• Like x 1
  12. swirlingflight

Alas, if I recall right, ability score increases are at 4/8/12/16/20. I hope to see the dream come true someday

• Like x 1
  13. The Frood Abides

not necessarily. this is all happening close to simultaneously, initiative is an abstraction, etc., it just matters that you all act once before the monsters act again. Though this round, it's a moot point, as you will see, because Alabaster failed both saves.

As for HP: the Maze is edition-agnostic, but it was designed with OD&D in mind, which means that as written, monsters have a piffling number of hit points proportionate to the strength of their attacks. I gave them all maximum HP per HD and made a few other little adjustments to be appropriate foes for 5e PCs.

• Like x 2
  14. swirlingflight

15. Wiwaxia

well shit that was more than half my hp :T

16. esotericPrognosticator

@The Frood Abides can Lyriae drag/knock Alabaster back to, say, B4 or B5, get back to A6, and make an attack on the monster Sarnai took a swing at with her axe? I'm thinking Dash or Disengage while dragging Alabaster as a bonus action, getting to A6 as movement, and sword attack as action, although idk if it still counts as Dash/Disengage if you're not doing it entirely by yourself. dragging Alabaster (or just, like, bodychecking them or something) could also be the action, getting to A6 the movement, and the sword attack the bonus action, if you're willing to allow that, since one sword attack is usually a bonus action anyway.

17. The Frood Abides

@esotericPrognosticator You can grapple Alabaster as an action and make the attack as a bonus action (since grappling is technically an attack), then move both yourself and Alabaster up to half your speed. It'll be a sneak attack, too, since Sarnai is also in combat with the monster. You'll provoke an AoO, but Alabaster won't. Or you can use Cunning Action to disengage and avoid the AoO, but since you can only take one bonus action in a round, you'll have to forgo the melee attack on the monster.

Either way, you'll roll Athletics to grapple with advantage vs. @Wiwaxia, since Alabaster is stunned. I might forgo even that roll for, say, Stella, since Alabaster is unresisting -- but Lyriae has a strength of 8, so it's possible the weedy rogue might not be able to shift them.

• Like x 2
  18. esotericPrognosticator

@The Frood Abides think I got it, lemme know if I did anything wrong! Alabaster rolls an Athletics check with disadvantage vs. Lyriae's to determine the outcome of the grapple, right? and I'm betting I'll have to do a grapple check vs. the orchid's attack of opportunity and a corresponding Wis save. or does it not get an attack if Lyriae's attack just now killed it? and if it's dead there'll be Dex and Wis saves again, I bet.

19. The Frood Abides

@esotericPrognosticator Alabaster just rolls a regular grapple check and chooses Athletics or Acrobatics -- I'm betting @Wiwaxia will pick Athletics since they WANT to fail this one. I forgot you had expertise in Athletics -- I guess Lyriae is small but knows how to use leverage to her advantage.

And yeah, you just killed it. Which means Dex and Wis saves from you and @swirlingflight, but since stunned people automatically fail Dex saves, just Wis for Alabaster. :)

I've got a test tomorrow so I probably won't be able to resolve all this IC tonight -- @thegrimsqueaker I hope you don't mind holding off till we know whether Lyriae and Alabaster have cleared Liron's line of sight.

Orchidmen are a pain in the ass.

• Like x 2
  20. swirlingflight

Dex = 10, Wis = 16... Oh boy

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice