Let's Go Steal a Dungeon (MotBM OOC/Planning)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by The Frood Abides, Jul 21, 2016.

1. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

With Stella's Strength 20, I'm prepared to say her encumbrance limit is "fuck you." The problem lies more in volume than weight. There are still chunks of tiger that will not easily fit into anyone's backpack. Could get maybe a quarter of the mass in smaller shards and stuff it into two people's packs.

• Like x 5
  2. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

question- can mage hand be used to smash inanimate objects, or is it just for carrying things? either way works since they can use it to pick up some bigger pieces and just, you know, drop them from various heights, or drop them onto other pieces to break both down a bit

(sry, I'd check my rule book but it's under the bed and I can't move w/o bad things happening)

3. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

dammit, Frood, I was not ready for this! how dare!! I started laughing and went into a coughing fit, and when that died down I looked at it and started laughing again! this is untenable!!! (also can I put it in the out-of-context quotes thread please)

according to the extensive spell notes on my character sheet (Lyriae has
    mage hand too, plus fun extra feat capabilities), it can't impact anything with much force, no. certainly not enough to shatter stone. it can carry things (and drop them from <30 ft. up), but those things have to weigh ≤10 lb., and I bet some of the pieces are heavier than that. in any case it sounds like breaking them down would take at least five or ten minutes, and I think by then we'd have another wandering monster. I mean, if it'd only take a minute or something, that'd be fine, but otherwise we'd better put some shit in Stella's pack (and... Sarnai's, since she has 14 Str and the rest of us have 10, 10, and 8... WE ARE SO WIMPY AND TERRIBLE) and run for it.

• Like x 2
  4. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

We are the best thieves of paintings and the worst dungeon crawl adventurers!*

*for relative values of "best" and "worst"

• Like x 2
  5. swirlingflight

Carry some of the lapis if we want it, and get going soon. Sarnai will push to take the lead going through the halls, since she's got a shield and and hasn't bit hit much yet.

....Plus she's probably better at not insulting statuary, and she can totally claim that they took the chunks of lapis in hopes of repairing/reanimating the statue, just in case any of the locals get mad at them for looting. :P

• Like x 2
  6. The Frood Abides

• Like x 3
  7. esotericPrognosticator

at this point I'm prepared to say that we were barely competent thieves of the painting. I bet some of us (coughLironandSarnaicough) spent a good thirty seconds in the vault/during the escape staring at it, and if anyone had attacked us we would be dead. I dunno how we managed, honestly...

is the shield only relevant because it boosts her AC, or can it protect the rest of the party somehow? 'cause if we're talking just AC that'd be... Lyriae, dear god why, with AC 16, followed by Alabaster (lol) and Stella with 15, then Sarnai with 14, and finally Liron with 12 WHY DOES LYRIAE HAVE THE HIGHEST AC WHERE'S OUR GODDAMN TANK ahem. if someone didn't list their shield AC boost, some of those numbers are wrong, but yeah. agreed that Sarnai is the best Diplomatic Art Person, though.

• Like x 1
  8. swirlingflight

Maybe we avoided guards and stuff by conveniently pausing behind columns to stare at it? :D?

We're just talking AC, that she's got a middling HP and AC. Technically it can protect the rest of the party, if we go through narrow hallways where only one of us can get attacked at a time.

I think our tank is in the other bar.

• Like x 3
  9. The Frood Abides

Misa dropped off the planet before I could resolve this with her, but until she says otherwise I'm playing her with the Dual Wielder feat, which allows her to dual-wield non-light weapons and also drives her in-combat AC up to 16, on par with Lyriae. (She was missing a feat and wielding battle axe and short sword: this was the simplest solution.) Your tank is right here, just not talking much.

The hallway beyond the door is 10 ft. wide, so marching order can be two-by-two if you so choose.

• Like x 1
  10. esotericPrognosticator

don't you :D me you scoundrel but I guess we could've just. had really, really, really good Stealth rolls. or made all our rolls with advantage. or something. I'll believe it when I see us pull off a heist in real time once there's a TPK after we finish with the Maze.

as that is in keeping with the grand tank tradition, I am reassured! my morale is boosted! I might even be filled with determination!

aha! that mixes things up a bit. in that case I propose Sarnai (for negotiations) and Stella (for tank) first, then Alabaster, then Liron and Lyriae bringing up the rear. Alabaster still doesn't have many HP, and I think they'd be safest in the middle? I have never actually done a dungeon crawl, so I could totally be wrong about that. if @thegrimsqueaker is worried about Liron's squish she could also go in the middle, but I put her and Lyriae in the back because 1) they both have a decent assortment of ranged cantrips for attacking things at the front of the party and 2) I think nasty things might come up from behind too and Lyriae is, like, 2/3rds of a small, small tank. :P then again, this seems like the kind of dungeon to be covered wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling in traps, so whoever's best at finding and disarming those should probably lead the party. I dunno which skill/ability comes into play there, but I think you need to use thieves' tools to disarm them? Lyriae can do that at range, and also, y'know, rogue. so if that's a major consideration we could swap her and Stella. thoughts? advice? corrections from people who actually know what the fuck they're doing??

it also occurs to me that the hallway's not all that long and we're going to be moving into the big room soon, so do you guys want to sort out the line/phalanx/unplanned chaos of battle now?

• Like x 1
  11. The Frood Abides

The relevant skills and abilities for disarming traps really depend on the trap. Thieves' tools can be useful, though. They are also good for picking locks. Stella's proficient in them, though she doesn't have any on her at present.

• Like x 1
  12. esotericPrognosticator

what about detecting traps before you trigger them? Perception or Insight, maybe?

edit: Lyriae can lend Stella her thieves' tools if need be, but thanks to her archetype's Mage Hand Legerdemain she can use them from 30 ft. away, which might be useful if there are, I dunno, locks that spray poison when you try to pick them or something. (note that I do not design dungeons. :P) or if getting close might trigger the trap or whatever. safety first? ...then again, Stella can brush off some poison spray pretty well, I think, seeing as she actually has HP.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  13. The Frood Abides

• Like x 1
  14. thegrimsqueaker

-looks at Liron's +5 modifier to perception and giggles- irony.
    excuse u, Liron doesn't spend a whole 30 seconds standing still to stare. they can't stand still that long unless they're taking notes. or unless they're magically poking at things, so that they could take notes on what happened after the magic pokes. they have too much to do to spend that much time standing still!

edit: unless this world is one that has discovered amphetamines. then Liron can stand still for hours, but still only if they have something to do

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    • Like x 2
  15. The Frood Abides

I see you've gone from "projecting your own traits on your PC" to "this character straight-up has clinical ADHD"

• Like x 3
  16. thegrimsqueaker

turns out, I don't actually know how to do neurotypical. like, at all

• Like x 4
  17. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

aaaaaaand now i'm probably on a watchlist for researching if you could synthesize amphetamine with reagents known to the alchemists.

• Like x 6
  18. thegrimsqueaker

ok, that's going into the out of context thread

• Like x 1
  19. swirlingflight

Liron is too busy noticing all the things to look at just the one canvas for long.

I should draw Liron in that "Brown bear Brown bear what do you see?" "ALL" meme.

• Like x 3
  20. esotericPrognosticator

excuse u?? what about methylphenidate and derivatives thereof?? or phenethylamines generally??? #notallADHDmeds /is on dexmethlyphenidate which is nOT AN AMPHETAMINE THANK YOU VERY MUCH

does this not happen to everyone always (I don't know what neuroatypicalities I've unintentionally given poor Lyriae/all of my characters ever but I'm sure there are some)

guys. guys what the fuck,,.gif

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice