Let's Go Steal a Dungeon (MotBM OOC/Planning)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by The Frood Abides, Jul 21, 2016.

1. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

Discord's an app similar to Skype, originally designed for online gaming, I think. You can use text or voice chat. This is going to continue in text. discordapp.com

Critical Role and the Adventure Zone both have thousands of fans. People like watching people play D&D. It's like improv theater + long-running epic fantasy TV show + esports. Also, that's why people roleplay in open forums rather than via PM, right? Other people like reading along.

(not that I'm not super flattered as well, of course ^_^)

• Like x 1
  2. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

okay, so I Officially have a Discord account now and am ready to use it! I suspect it'll take a deal of fumbling with group chats and friending and such, but, well, so it goes. is the chat going to be in realtime (i.e., will we schedule sessions ahead of time, etc.), or will it be kinda a drop-'n'-go like this one? suspect the platform lends itself to the former, but. and anyway either would be good!

haha eSports oh my god (I was reading a good long-form article about a StarCraft pro gamer the other day, actually, funny coincidence.) me, playing sports. me, engaging the spectators while I play sports. me, not being entirely shit at a sport. amazing.

anyway, it seems like it'd be a little less entertaining spread out over, like, months? I've loved what I've seen of Critical Role, but that's live and hard to get bored with. also the players and DM are, like, actually good actors. :P but yeah, it's basically forum roleplay anyway, I guess... I'd actually never thought of RPing in PMs? I mean, my experience has been on forums, and so "RP = thread." idk. it's still flattering, especially the part where people don't just read the relatively-polished IC thread and instead stick around and watch us natter...

3. The Frood Abides

any serious esport player would laugh their ass off at the comparison, I'm sure, but the conflict/dice-rolling aspect of the game isn't really covered in either improv or fantasy story.

I was thinking we'd continue the leisurely play-by-post pace, since it's much less spoon-intensive for me and that way we don't have to wrangle time zones. Might re-evaluate that after I've graduated in May, depending on how/if I'm employed and how much free time I have...

• Like x 1
  4. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

yeahhhh, sounds good. I mean, so far as I know we're all within the same four-timezones-ish? I've gotten the impression we're all in the US, anyway. could be wrong. but still, three hours' difference would not do good things to regular school/work schedules. plus I'm free, like, one and a half days a week, lol. oh, and congrats on your pending graduation! you're getting a BA, right? (a lot of my friends are graduating too, but they're only getting high school diplomas. :P)

5. The Frood Abides

Yes, I am! Exciting and scary.

https://discord.gg/hmMCzSR should work, I think? No promises on how fast I can get the engine running again.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice