Let's Go Steal a Dungeon (MotBM OOC/Planning)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by The Frood Abides, Jul 21, 2016.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I love the new skill system, it's fabulous!

2. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

I love it too, but that is mostly because it let me give my character eight skills. eight. don't get much better than that.

3. swirlingflight

Gee, Frood, why does your race let you have two skill proficiencies?

(Rogues get 4? Dang. Bards only get 3. And humans don't get any, unless alternative feature, which... nah. My abilities need the help. 5/6 were odd)

Eta abilities, not tools. Wtf autocorrect? Sleep time.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    • Like x 1
  4. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

brilliant memery, but I think "Gee, eP, why does your DM let you have two racial skills?" would perhaps be more appropriate. :P

Rogues Do It Well(TM)! (they also get x2 proficiency bonus on two skills of their choice and can add two additional double-bonus skills at 6th level.)

• Like x 1
  5. swirlingflight

I was very awake, I could tell the difference between people with very different usernames/icons/demeanors and everything!

But man, that's like a more skillful version of the bard. Guess bards make up for it with the 1/2 prof on so many other things... ;p

• Like x 1
  6. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

I'd like to poll the players on a couple of logistical details.

SAVING THROWS (and other reactive rolls). Should I roll them, or would you prefer to?
    Upsides of DM rolling players' saves: Speeds up play in play-by-post format. Sometimes there are saves that the character shouldn't be aware of making, and the player gets paranoid if asked to roll a save out of the blue. (Same with Spot checks, but passive Perception serves that purpose admirably in 5e)
    Downsides: Removes a certain amount of suspense and a feeling of player agency (however illusory). "You die." "Don't I get a save?" "Yeah but you didn't pass." "...Oh."

MAPPS. With or without?
    The default assumption of 5e is "theater of the mind," but battle grids are helpful for tactical movement and to get the players to visualize something consistent. In PbP, where you can't physically move your miniatures, I've seen DMs provide numbered/lettered grids so that a player can say e.g. "I move to A4 and cast fireball centered on T12." On the other hand messing about with graphics programs can be tedious. My current plan is to provide images on request or for large/environmentally complex combat, and do without for simpler fights. What do you think?

• Like x 1
  7. swirlingflight

Saving throws:
    I have to request we roll them. The bardic inspiration die can be used on certain reactions and saving throws, and I want people to have the chance of using the die wherever it's most valuable. If we go for you rolling them, please try to save people by rolling it when failing the roll means death?

Maps....
    I really like gridded maps :( Really quick scribble drawings are usually enough to work with.

8. The Frood Abides

@esotericPrognosticator I see that you've filled out the characterization questions, so all we need to do is talk over what kind of custom background feature you want, I think?

9. swirlingflight

Oooh! Question. Is it reasonable to assume that the wizards school gets applicants who don't have the stuff (or the Int attribute) necessary to do magic in that style?

I noticed one of the specialities of the scribe background is "wizard's apprentice" and I want my bard to be a failed wizard who realized that dry memorization does nothing for her, magic-wise... but something in the passion of music and dance does.

10. The Frood Abides

Absolutely!
    It seems like you're well on your way to completing your character -- you've just got to pick class skills and a bonus language, plus finish the questions -- so that's good.

• Like x 1
  11. swirlingflight

Yep! I'm kinda holding off on picking the class skills until I have a little more sense of her background, and a little more idea what other people are going for. If it makes sense for me to grab skills that others don't.... that's probably useful!

12. The Frood Abides

13. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

@The Frood Abides currently on the road home from Philadelphia (driving back to Texas). hope to be home tonight. will post character sheet tomorrow

• Like x 1
  14. The Frood Abides

thanks! safe travels!

15. thegrimsqueaker

Character: Liron Amanodel
    Race: High Elf
    Class: Wizard
    • What is your alignment? Chaotic Good
    • How old are you? 42
    • What are your parents like? They were present as required, and each supported me in their own way. My father is an apothecary, and taught me some little herblore in addition to handling my early schooling. My mother is a merchant, and paid for what schooling my father could not provide.
    • Are you married? No
    • Do you have a “true love?” If not, what do you imagine them to be like? If yes, are they alive? I have a library, and studying to do. Everything else can wait. Gods know the universe will not.
    • Have you any artistic skill or inclination? I have some rudimentary skill, as is necessary for some arcane arts.
    • Are you wearing or carrying anything that could be considered “art”? My spellbook could probably count, considering some of the wards I've placed on it. The best art I've ever seen is a well-laid and clever spell.
    • How well dressed or fashionable are you? I am dressed for comfort and utility. Style is only a concern when I'm dealing with a spirit or entity that would react unfavorably to its absence.
    • How much gold do you have on you? Where and how did you get it? I have a small stipend from my university department for my studies, though that amounts to precious little. Any need I have for research materials would normally be covered by my department,
    • Who was the last person you killed? A person who was trying to kill me. I do not know their name, and I'm almost ashamed to say that I do not wish to learn it.
    • Roughly how many people have you killed? I have immolated a fair few monsters, but only killed a bare handful of people. That it was always in self-defense likely should not lessen the guilt as much as it does.
    • How many good friends have you seen die or disappear? One. They made an ill-advised deal in their pursuit of knowledge.
    • What is your greatest fear? Many of the creatures, monsters and abominations I have encountered in my studies started out on the same path I now walk. The fact that some of them walk it still frightens me more than words can express.
    • What is one of your most basic desires? Are you ashamed of it? I see no shame in desiring a comfortable place to conduct my research. A simple life of working to understand the universe is what most appeals to me.
    • What are some of your secrets? I once stole a book from one of my professors. I am unsure of if he ever noticed, but I never returned it and he never commented in my hearing.
    • Would you ever sell your soul? What would it take? I've considered it in my pursuit of knowledge. But once I actually saw the results of such a bargain, the idea lost its appeal.
    will finish the rest of the character sheet in a bit, just need to nap again @______@

• Like x 2
  16. thegrimsqueaker

kept forgetting to ask- how many spells do I have? I know I have 4 cantrips, but can't remember what else I'm allowed at lvl 5

17. swirlingflight

According to the book, lvl 5 wizard's got four lvl 1 spell slots, three lvl 2 spell slots, and two lvl 3 spell slots. Much the same as most of the other caster classes! As for how many you have in your book at a higher level than 1... it doesn't seem to say. :/

Spellbook
    At 1st level, you have a spellbook containing six 1st-level wizard spells of your choice.

Preparing and Casting Spells
    The Wizard table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

You prepare the list of wizard spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of wizard spells from your spellbook equal to your Intelligence modifier + your wizard level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
    For example, if you're a 3rd-level wizard, you have four 1st-level and two 2nd-level spell slots. With an intelligence of 16, your list of prepared spells can include six spells of 1st or 2nd level, in any combination, chosen from your spellbook. If you prepare the 1st-level spell magic missile, you can cast it using a 1st-level or a 2nd-level slot. Casting the spell doesn't remove it from your list of prepared spells.
    You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of wizard spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

• Like x 1
  18. thegrimsqueaker

yeah, I get spell slots, but is that the same as how many spells my character knows?

also, I know precisely jack and squat about feats @______@

• Like x 1
  19. swirlingflight

Spell slots are not the same as how many spells a wizard has in their spellbook. Wizards are cheating cheaters; if they've got the money for the fancy ink, they can basically put every wizard spell (of a level they can already cast) in their books. But I don't see anything that indicates how many a wizard starts with if the game is starting higher than 1st-level... I think Frood will have to weigh in all DMly.

Feats are almost not things in this edition! You know the ability score increase every 4th level? We can substitute getting that increase for getting one of the feats. There's no feat tree bullshit; just prerequisites like having a high enough ability score or a relevant class feature.

• Like x 1
  20. The Frood Abides

@thegrimsqueaker Relevant book passage is "Learning Spells of 1st Level and Higher. Each time you gain a wizard level you can add two wizard spells of your choice to your spellbook. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Wizard table."

The progression goes like this:
    1st level: six 1st-level spells
    2nd level: +two 1st-level spells
    3rd level: +two 2nd or lower level spells
    4th level: +two 2nd or lower level spells
    5th level: +two 3rd or lower level spells

So you pick 8 spells of 1st level, 4 spells of up to 2nd level, and 2 spells of up to 3rd level to put in your spellbook.

And @swirlingflight is exactly right about feats.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice