Let's Go Steal a Dungeon (MotBM OOC/Planning)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by The Frood Abides, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Alabaster and Sarnai came up with the original idea, possibly over cheap beer, Alabaster hocked their old chainmail for supplies while Sarnai did recruitment?

• Like x 3
  2. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

sage bg stuff gets 10 gp, so I'll throw in the other 3 gp for eP

• Like x 1
  3. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

I go by Nina or Misa online, so either is acceptable. I can spring in 1.5 gp as well for the healing kit, if you want to make it only 1.5 as well @thegrimsqueaker? And Stella might be hired muscle purely, either directly from the colly or she offered herself up in local taverns only for someone in the party to take her up on the offer for being so cheap (I like the idea of her being an escape gladiatorial slave a lot, if that's alright with everyone, so if that's the case she's charging surprisingly low for her skill set).

Here is Stella's corrected character paperwork, as well as the backstory work for her, and I will start playing tonight. I also switched one of her languages and her flaw to be more suiting to the background given.

Stella Kirschmesser
    Half-Orc Fighter
    Level 5
    Chaotic Neutral

Languages: Common, Dwarf (note: Cannot read or write, as a case of her Int being so abysmally low. She might make attempts in the future to actually rectify this, but in regards to actual iconography, she can recognize simple and common symbols (ie: white horse = inn/tavern, various religious symbols for popular houses of worship, and sword and shield of a weapon's shop.))

STR 20 (+5)
    DEX 16(+3)
    CON 17 (+3)
    INT 5 (-2)
    WIS 12 (+1)
    CHA 12 (+1)

HP: 37

AC: 13 (Chain Shirt) + 2 (DEX bonus, max out at 2)

Attacks: +8 (Battleaxe)/+8 (Shortsword)/+8 (Battleaxe)(Two Weapon Fighting, can attack with ability modifier. If Action Surge is used, this goes up to 8/8/8/8/8 attacks instead)
    Damage:
    Battleaxe: 1d8+5
    Shortsword: 1d6+5
    Handaxes: 1d6+5 (Throwing Weapons, for Range)

Skills:
    Acrobatics
    Intimidate
    Survival
    Sleight of Hand
    Stealth

Saving Throws:
    Strength
    Constitution

Equipment:
    Chain Shirt
    Battleaxe
    Shortsword
    Handaxes (2, 1d6 slashing, Throwing Weapons)
    Explorer's Pack (Explorer's Pack (10 gp). Includes a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.)
    Small Knife
    Worn Map of Farming Village
    Common Clothes
    Belt Pouch with 10 GP

Half Orc Abilities:

Darkvision: Thanks to your orc blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Class Features:
    Fighting Style: Two Weapon Fighting (When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier.)

Second Wind: You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Action Surge: Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

Martial Archetype- Champion

Third Level: Improved Critical

Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

On Two Weapon Fighting:

When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.
    If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.

Tool Proficiencies:
    Simple and Martial Weapons
    All Armor Types
    Disguise Kit
    Thieves' Toolkit

Ideal: Aspiration (I'm going to prove that I'm worthy of a better life.)
    Bond: No one else should have to endure the hardships I’ve been through.
    Flaw: Gold seems like a lot of money to me, and I’ll do just about anything for more of it.

Background Bonuses:

Urchin Background. (I'm not sure what adds on to this besides the extra skills, items and proficiencies already included elsewhere in this. If there is additional info I am missing, I will add it as soon as possible.)

How old are you?
    She has a rough approximation, around 17 (her actual birthday has long since been lost, but she does know she was born towards the beginning of the summer, so she celebrates on the first day of the year). Around ten was when she started her gladiator training proper, and around thirteen was when she sent out into the stadiums to fight. At fifteen was when Stella received her freedom, not before spending two years in combat for the pure spectacle of the crowd.

What are your parents like?

In regards to her birth parents, she wouldn't have a clue. Sometimes, she likes to think of herself as the daughter of a star-crossed pair between an Orc envoy and a merchant's daughter, given away out of fear of retribution from both sides. Other times, she assumes her mother had been a brothel worker and her father a patron. This is not known information, nor would she have any idea what to do with such info, save for possibly throttling the larger of her two parents for throwing her away and leaving her to the fighting pits. ("Not even with a wayward aunt! Not even an orphanage! Just the battle pits, let her be raised up there, who does that to a baby?!")

In regards to her 'actual' parent, that would be her grandfather Kieran Kirschmesser. An old dwarf gladiator, Kieran had long since been retired from the battle line-up. He was worn, leg lost to battle, eyes milky and nearly blind by age. His skills had been plied with maintaining and caring for the warriors still in the roster, patching them up, keep up their spirits and providing what training he could. As rough as he was, he was kindly to Stella, doting on her as a small child as much as he could and with what little he could get away with (teaching her how to whittle with smaller knives, so she could have some form of toy). One of the lessons he drilled into her was to not settle for this life, that she could do better than just fighting for the amusement of others.

Are you married?
    She's never even been in a proper relationship before, or considered it. The idea of marriage is foreign to her, something that free people do, but never an option for herself.

Were she in the position, her first goal would be to purchase Kirchmesser's freedom before seeking out a marriage.

(Rest to be answered tomorrow, or as I can get it done)

Do you have a “true love?” If not, what do you imagine them to be like? If yes, are they alive?
    Have you any artistic skill or inclination?
    Are you wearing or carrying anything that could be considered “art”? (e.g. a sword hilt shaped like an animal)
    How well dressed or fashionable are you?
    How much gold do you have on you? Where and how did you get it?
    Who was the last person you killed?
    Roughly how many people have you killed?
    How many good friends have you seen die or disappear?
    What is your greatest fear?
    What is one of your most basic desires? Are you ashamed of it?
    What are some of your secrets?
    Would you ever sell your soul? What would it take?

• Like x 2
  4. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

sounds good to me 38D

• Like x 2
  5. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

A game mechanics question has risen!

I want Sanrai to come in with results of a History roll to (probably) say that there weren't any rumors of an enchantmenyt in the painting historically, so whatever's going on must be wards by one of its recent owners...

How shall we work skill checks into pbp? Do I roll, tell my results, and wait to hear back from @The Frood Abides if my assumption and roll pan out...?

• Like x 1
  6. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

@swirlingflight that will work. if you're making a roll secret from the other players you can also PM me.

• Like x 1
  7. swirlingflight

SO I legit rolled a natural 20.

Sarnai is apparently a huge fan of this painting and knows all the fandom disputes over it.

• Like x 2
  8. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

@swirlingflight a good omen! :D I knew we kept bards around for something.

• Like x 1
  9. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

No wonder we decided to steal the thing.

• Like x 3
  10. swirlingflight

She really wanted the chance to touch it okay guys

There were a lot of other expensive valuable things that they could've stolen from the asshole to fuck over his day (and make his creditors angry), but this one, oh man. Priceless.

• Like x 1
  11. The Frood Abides

@swirlingflight
    OK so I'll let you invent whatever bitter academic disputes you like -- you know, the Rerealist school schismed over whether it was a bold melding of symbolic primitivism with a prescient impressionist aesthetic or whether it was the idiotic finger-painting of an opium-addled hack, that kind of thing -- and restrict my DM fiat to a series of bullet points.
    • Nobody knows how old it is, or who painted it. It's definitely been around for as long as "Art History" was a thing. Magic was likely involved in its preservation (there are older works of art, naturally, but mostly bronze and stone sculpture that's far less perishable than a canvas). But that doesn't mean the painting itself is magic.
    • There are rumors of enchantments surrounding it, but they're on the level of "the Mona Lisa's eyes follow you anywhere in the room." Nothing any serious historian would give credence.
    • Various reputable wizards have scanned it for magic and found nothing.
    Do you want to butt in now or wait for the woman to respond to Lyriae's question?

• Like x 1
  12. swirlingflight

I'd prefer to wait! Sarnai's going :psyduck: a little bit.

• Like x 1
  13. The Frood Abides

OK. I'll try to have it up tonight but it might take till tomorrow morning depending on tonight's Events

• Like x 1
  14. esotericPrognosticator

I like Alabaster. they know what's up. :D

• Like x 1
  15. The Frood Abides

Chaotic Good, WIS 8.

• Like x 4
  16. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Stella had darkvision as a racial skill, and there was a line earlier about the painting looking slightly different to people with dark vision. Is that purely aesthetics, or are there more clues she can see?

17. The Frood Abides

Nothing at the moment -- it's more a matter of "can you see more than a gray blob under weak moonlight?"

Also I have a ceremony to attend this afternoon so bear with me, I'll be offline for much of the day.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  18. The Frood Abides

Alabaster can definitely hear people talking from outside the painting.

• Like x 2
  19. swirlingflight

I'm a bit surprised but amused to note, the lines of who's alarmed and concerned versus intrigued and analytical about this do not map to alignment! It probably helps that the outside people don't know for sure how Alabaster's doing...

I guess the real questions are, can we hear the inside conversation? And when Alabaster moves closer to the chained lady, will we see them both...?

Edit for typo and striking the part already basically answered.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Like x 1
  20. esotericPrognosticator

well, I mean, technically speaking they do map to alignment, just not necessarily in the way you'd expect. the Chaotic Good guys are firmly intrigued and analytical (which is, I think, fairly characteristic of the alignment), and Sarnai is... amused? kind of? which is also fairly neutral of her. but the big bad Chaotic Neutral fighter is flipping her shit, and the small bad Chaotic "Neutral" rogue is concerned, engaged by the problem, and trying to pretend her concern is actually just anger at Alabaster's stupidity. this is interesting.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice