Lets Talk K-pop!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Another Shy One, May 24, 2017.

1. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

2. 4ppl3m1nt

4ppl3m1nt here to bring #content

I see that no one mentioned my favourite groups yet - I can't possibly let a chance like this go.

Highlight - formerly known as Beast, made up of 5 members, Yoon Doojoon, Yong Junhyung, Yang Yoseob, Lee Gikwang, and Son Dongwoon. They escaped their former company, Cube, and against all odds formed their own agency, Around Us Ent. They lost the right to use their former group name; I'm unsure about the rights to their old songs, many of which were written/composed by members, especially Yong Junhyung - they performed some of them during their first concert as Highlight, but they may be paying to use them. Despite difficulties, they stuck together (only one member left from the original line-up, and it was before the rest left Cube) through power of FRIENDSHIP and love for their fans - which shows plainly in their new releases.

Aside from their story, the fact that they're a self-managed group should be a selling point by itself - it's not only how hard they must work for everything, but as their fan, you don't have to worry about them dealing with toxic management anymore (which is a HUGE problem if you're an idol fan). You can be sure they put out music they like, with a message they believe in, they choose their own concepts; that they like each other and aren't forced to be a group, and that they really care about us, Lights (it's our new fandom name)

Most importantly, they look much happier since starting their own company, and seem to be having much more fun. The difference is absolutely tangible if you watch their own videos as Beast. They also have happier and less edgy concepts.

I'm not sure about the legal side - which one of them is the CEO, are they all? But Junhyung is the main producer/composer along with one other guy, under the duo pseudonym Good Life. Other members also take part in the creation of songs, and they agree on everything through discussion.

Their re-debut song, through which they hoped to cheer up people who are struggling for any reason - just the video itself does the job, and there's an even sillier version on their channel (I'm linking 1theK because it has English lyrics in annotations)

The pre-release for their re-debut, which is notable for the sweetest, most loving, least douchy lyrics I've ever heard in a break-up song, not demanding anything and focusing on the beauty of memories

A song from their first album, all about their love for the fans and how they returned for our sake

Studio performance of a b-side from their repackage album, the highlight (insert sollux glasses emoji) of which are Yang Yoseob's amazing vocals. To take advantage of them standing still and being easily identifiable here, from left to right - Dongwoon, Doojoon, Yoseob, Junhyung, Gikwang.

The a-side of their repackage, notable for being too real. Junhyng was a target of a hate campaign for giving himself "too much" lines (which was nonsense, because Highlight has the fairest line distribution under the sun, with barely few percent differences), which caused him to wipe his Instagram - thankfully, both Korean and international Lights were there to convince him to come back. He's a good guy, if a totally awkward one, and cares a lot (you can probably guess who my bias is)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Like x 1
  3. 4ppl3m1nt

And because I can't not promote my bias, his first solo comeback since leaving Cube:

And the b-side:

Both lyrics alsoo #toreal.

• Like x 1
  4. Another Shy One

Tfw when you want to use multiple ratings but cant because youre only allowed one word

In other news, i had no idea highlight was beast and i def did not know their story, so thanks for sharing that! Ive heard a few of their songs when they were beast but im very yg ent oriented (if you couldnt tell...) so i have a bit of a blindspot when it comes to other kpop groups

• Like x 1
  5. 4ppl3m1nt

I'm definitely not the best source, because I wasn't along since the beginning of the ride - my introduction to kpop was through girl groups, especially f(x) and Red Velvet, only found Beast later, but I'm glad I could help. f(x)... Let's be real, is basically disbanded at this point, and Red Velvet is getting SM's scraps, then the mess with Cube happened, so after years of losing health to shitty companies, I found a comfortable solace in Highlight :P I also follow a nugu gg Dreamcatcher, I'll write up about them next.

6. 4ppl3m1nt

Dreamcatcher - consisting of JiU, SuA, Siyeon, Handong, Yoohyeon, Dami and Gahyeon, a group new under that name, has actually existed since 2014 as Minx (Dreamcatcher lineup is Minx + two members, Gahyeon and Handong). With their name change, they underwent a drastic change of concept - Minx songs were very typical, mediocre pop full of fanservice I'm not even going to link because it makes me cringe. As Dreamcatcher, they gained attention, especially among international fans, for their rock-ish music and their dark, horror/nightmare concept. Their upcoming album will have a dual light/dark, "Before and After" concept and the teasers look amazing.

Besides, many people also pointed out their sound was similar to Jrock, and their songs sound like anime openings :P They also did a lot of covers, both dance and singing.

Members pt. 1 - former Minx (pictures are from their upcoming comeback teasers)
    DEcSetbUMAAG29R.jpg
    DEgSt5YWsAMiiH6.jpg
    DEcThlRUQAAe3-H.jpg
    DEgTbdwW0AE0AFu.jpg
    DEcTEvyVwAAVUW7.jpg DEgS6h6XgAEFn8m.jpg
    DEcTNQnUIAATHfn.jpg
    DEgTD79WsAANl2w.jpg
    DEW-eVSUIAEsW7d.jpg
    DEg3BI4WAAIyHXy.jpg

• Like x 1
  7. 4ppl3m1nt

Members pt. 2 - new arrivals
    DEcT2ThUMAAokOt.jpg DEgTxQGXgAAaj8y.jpg
    DEcTZIXUwAAwAll.jpg
    DEgTTyQXoAEKzFK.jpg
    (more teaser images at their official twitter, they just started posting a second batch of "After" teasers)

On to their songs!

Their debut MV

Their comeback, which is also connected to the storyline of the first MV

The b-side of their debut, a very beautiful, slow song, completely different genre
    (left to right: Sua, Handong, Siyeon, JiU, Yoohyeon, Gahyeon, Dami)

The b-side of their comeback, also a ballad

Covers:

May interest YG stans, cover of Really Really by Sua, Siyeon and Yoohyeon (in this order in the thumbnail):

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. 4ppl3m1nt

Covers continued:
    GG rite of passage, or Into The New World cover by the whole group

Siyeon cover of Treasure by Bruno Mars

Siyeon cover of City of Stars

Cover of Lucky Strike by Maroon 5 by the whole group

And another treat for YG stans, dance practice to Bang Bang by Big Bang

I think that's quite enough for now :p

• Like x 2
  9. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Help, I nearly wound up with my lunch in my lungs laughing at that.

*stans Jun*

Edit because I didn't catch up on the thread before posting: That's cool about Highlight! I don't keep up with fandom much but I've got a sort of general idea about managing company problems.... Also I love Plz Don't Be Sad.

10. Another Shy One

AKMU IS COMING BACK JULY 20TH!!!! AND TAEYANG PUT OUT HIS WORLD TOUR SCHEDULE FOR N. AMERICA

*FALLS DOWN DED*

IM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW

(I will respond to other posts in just a bit, i just have to let out my fangirl feels first)

• Winner x 1
  11. Another Shy One

You know... now that i think about it, my intro to kpop was also a girl group: The Wonder Girls, but it was only one song, Nobody but you. Also Super Junior, but i wasnt into them at the time cause i was way more into the jpop and jrock scene... ARASHI, i had a humongous crush one of the members but i cant remember who right now... L'arc en Ciel, Hyde, Ourobouros, Gackt etc.

Im sorry that happened but im glad that another person has become a k-pooper XD (i love this fandom name)

• Agree x 1
  12. Another Shy One

So... Guess whos going to G-Dragons concert tonight:shades:

• Winner x 1
  13. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

That's awesome! Have fun!

14. Another Shy One

I will! Its at 8 tonight and i really cant wait for it!!! I will try to take lots of pictures too!

• Like x 1
  15. Another Shy One

Pictures will come tomorrow as i will be tired af when i get home because im the one driving home

• Like x 2
  16. Another Shy One

Vut it was amazing and beautiful and made me want tocry. I did hand flaps xause i was so happy

• Like x 1
  17. 4ppl3m1nt

With how we have just 3 regulars in this thread, it's like a bare minimum for a student club. @Another Shy One would obviously be the president, as the founder and the one with actual real life Kpop experiences.

Okay, club. Discussion time. Compare/contrast

Red Velvet - Russian Roulette

Red Velvet - Red Flavor

fanmade - Red Flavor vocal, Russian Roulette instrumental

Were both songs saved? Is SM an incompetent hack? Is member @4ppl3m1nt just bitter and biased because Yeri still gets the least lines?

• Witnessed x 1
  18. Tea and Rain

Tea and Rain angry squirrel

I really like Dreamcatcher. Brown eyed girls, f(x), and Exo were my entry points. Kpop is a fandom I am on the peripheries of.

• Like x 1
  19. Another Shy One

@4ppl3m1nt, i accept your nomination as the kintsugi kpop club president and am honored. @Tea and Rain, welcome to the club! We accept everyone who has some interest in kpop and wants to know more!

• Agree x 1
  20. Another Shy One

As for the red velevet discussion, it will have to wait until the rest of my hearing comes back... i... forgot my earplugs in the car that i brought for the concert...

• Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice