Lexapro

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Alska, May 24, 2015.

1. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

-

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

it's the first antidepressant that's really worked for me, and i've had no unpleasant side effects that i've noticed. i take mine in the morning with my concerta; possibly the concerta has counteracted any 'meh' from the lexapro. i did have trouble orgasming at first, until i figured out it'd made me more sensitive than previously; once we adjusted for that it was fine.

3. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

Hello yes I am here for this, @pixels present and reporting for duty.

I've been on generic-Lexapro (escitalopram) 10mg daily for... three and a half years? Yeah. A long time. At the same time, I take it as part of a cocktail of other meds; I take medication four times a day and only take the Lexapro in the mornings, and I take three other medications specifically for make-me-functional reasons (the fourth time daily is for melatonin).

I was off my meds for a few weeks there in the middle because I miscalculated (please never do this it is horrible wow), and the one thing I could see directly attributable to the Lexapro was less depression-anxiety. Wellbutrin (buproprion) is my kick-in-the-ass let's-get-shit-done pill, but the Lexapro (escitalopram) is my everything's-gonna-be-all-right-today fuck-off-dysthymia pill, if that makes any sense. Lexapro basically takes all my "but what if the sky was falling" thoughts and tells them to fuck themselves. If my average mood level is a 2 (with normal average 5 on scale from 0=dead to 10=ecstatic) Lexapro jacks it up to 3.5-4.

I noticed full-body saturation within a few weeks, if that's a phrase that even makes sense to anyone. And for me, since the side effects weren't basically instant bodily emesis from every orifice, it was better than nothing. Not the best person to ask libido questions about because mine is highly stress-dependent and I'm basically in the world's most stressful profession.

4. Aya

Aya words words words

Sometimes side effects fade as your body gets used to a pill. It's not always true, and of course you can end up developing side effects at random years after you start taking something. But there's hope that you won't feel so weird in a few weeks.

If it makes you feel gross and doesn't help enough to make up for that, remember that you can always ask to try something else rather than keep taking something you don't like but adding onto it. It won't necessarily make the side effects go away.

Good luck, though. Hope you find something that works for you, no matter what that is.

5. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

Meant to post here today because I did Things for like three hours before I took my meds (oh god hate) and my self-editor who can point and laugh at anxiety, if not get rid of it, was nowhere before I took the Lexapro. It's not that the anxiety goes away, it's that I get enough of a remove from the anxiety that I can analyze it or call it stupid or tell it to shut the fuck up Karen.

6. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

For SSRI's (and Lexapro is one) doctors generally advise that it will take about six weeks for you to really feel effects. So that it's not doing much right now is not strange, unfortunately :(
    Hope it helps soon!

• Like x 1
  7. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I keep forgetting to take mine, but when i do take it regularly, the main thing it does is that i don't get so anxious about writing that I can't write. like, i still am nervous and anxious, but the nerves and anxiety arent ALL that's in my brain, yknow?

The first time i didn't really have side effects, but the second time i started it it made me suicidal as fuck (i'm seebs suicide anon from a while back) for like, 3-4 weeks, but i was under a lot of stress.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice