Linux/Windows Issues

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by tickingnectarine, Apr 18, 2019.

1. so, as briefly mentioned in the Things Annoying You thread, I’m having some technical difficulties. I am attempting to dual-boot Windows 10 and Elementary OS on my laptop.

I created a recovery USB for Windows 10, downloaded Elementary OS and put it on a USB as well, using Unetbootin. I installed it, going through the usual setup, selecting to “install alongside windows 10” and “do NOT update software while installing” because I could do that later.

And when I boot it up, it shows the HP logo and then goes straight to the Windows 10 login.

I’m not sure what I did wrong here. I gotta admit I’m kinda rusty re. Linux, but I’ve done this before with this same OS successfully so this is unexpected and frustrating.

Worst case scenario I can just wipe Windows 10 off and install Elementary as the only OS, but all my stuff is on Windows. Help?

2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Check the boot order inside your laptop's BIOS. If it's UEFI, it should have "GRUB" and "Windows Boot Manager" in there, and GRUB should be at a higher priority.

• Agree x 2
  3. Alright, I’ll check that after work. Thank you.

4. Okay so I went to the boot manager, did NOT successfully change the setting, but I DID log in to Elementary OS so that’s something.

• Witnessed x 1
  5. afarewelltokings

afarewelltokings the internet's #1 Julia Child fan

That’s a start! You might also be able to access a boot selection screen if you press one of the function keys (the key depends on what model/brand computer you have). Changing your Linux partition to the top of the boot order in the BIOS will usually guarantee that it boots straight to your Elementary OS partition unless overridden by you.

• Agree x 1
  6. well. other than the fact that everything is ~really small~ on this OS for some reason (windows has a default setting that zooms Everything that Elementary OS seems to lack), and it's being picky with letting me install some PPAs, I think I got this sorted out. Thanks guys.

• Winner x 1
  7. palindromordnilap

If your screen is HiDPI, you might want to check out this page - specifically the GNOME section.

• Informative x 1
  8. palindromordnilap

Oh, wait, nevermind, looks like Elementary has its own thing in there.

9. Nice, nice, I appreciate it.

However, now Elementary doesn't like that I've forcibly installed elementary-tweaks from a ppa. ah, the joys and sorrows of linux.

• Witnessed x 3
  10. ... i don't understand how to install something from a tar.gz file. i also don't know how to run my file explorer as administrator. help?

11. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

.tar.gz is a type of archive file like .zip, so you'll want to extract the contents first

I only ever used a linux os for 5 seconds, but iirc if you want to run anything as admin you need to input certain commands in the linux equivalent of command prompt. a quick search of something like 'elementary os run as admin' should be able to bring some up for you

12. palindromordnilap

Elementary OS should have an archive reader. I know it's Fileroller for GNOME, but idk if they're using something else. If you're on the graphical user interface, right-click it and something should show up.

13. No, I got that part. I’ve extracted it, but it won’t allow me to move it to the programs/apps section of my computer. I can move it from downloads to documents/pictures/video, but that’s not where I need it to go.

Edit- both of the uncompressed folders are lacking a “configure” file/folder. Maybe that’s it?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  14. I have managed to install Discord from a .deb instead of from the tar.gz archive. that was more effort than necessary, oh well.

Edit- I tried to install Simplenote as well with the same process. That didn't seem to work, not sure why.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice