look upon these quirks, ye mighty, and despair

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by esotericPrognosticator, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

So the only fantroll of mine who has a specific quirk is Thalia Duende, who acCENtuates the STRESSED SYLlables in her SPEECH! Who TENDS to get a BIT theATrical!

(Basically, capitalizing portions of her speech that are emphasized, and always ending with an exclamation point.)

...So what Homestuck quirk would I have, y'all?

2. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

huh, the "I AM SO LOYAL TO THE EMPIRE THAT MY ONLY QUIRK IS CAPSLOCK" could then possibly be karkat trying to bluff the culling drones/trying to Refuge in Audacity it

• Like x 7
  3. Lee

Lee i will face god and walk backwards into hell

Squeeee, fantroll things! I have a seadweller gal wh() uses pr()per syntax but accentuates her ()'s and kind ()f glubs ()n them, like enunciating a bubble! Though, the font on MSPARP makes her quirk a bit hard to read, so I'm considering changing it just for Parp things. Then again, I rarely go on Parp now, so maybe it's fine...

• Like x 1
  4. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I really love that headcanon because it's a damn great idea for why highbloods use the short words we're familiar with and lowbloods tend to use the rambling descriptive terminology instead.

• Like x 5
  5. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

because the rambling descriptive terminology obscures things from the culling drones and any highbloods who do not have lowblood friends?

• Like x 2
  6. swirlingflight

Yeah. That using multiple synonyms, instead of the flagged terminology, would make it harder for a bot or drone to recognize it.

• Like x 2
  7. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

why would highbloods bother having quirks at all, then? it'd take a lot more than a couple minor slip-ups to get Eridan culled, future leader that he is, and probably the same applies to Gamzee. I'd say the same for Feferi, but idk how ruthless the Condesce is in seizing upon excuses to cull tyrian potential rivals.

8. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

cultural osmosis? all their other friends are doing it so...(also gamzee's quirk is just capitalization differences and i think eridan thinks his looks good but that may have been from a fanfic)

• Like x 4
  9. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

Tavros' is only punctuation and capitalization too, not letter replacements, and I'd think he would be cautious and... pretty heavily invested in not being culled? Eridan's vs and ws are arranged to look like his sign, yeah, and I think his other spelling eccentricities (dropping terminal gs, for instance) are just a transcription of his accent.

• Like x 2
  10. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

It's possible that it's one of those things that started out with meaning, but because of the lack of passing information from one generation to the next due to all trolls over a certain age being banished from their Homeworld, that conscious significance was lost, and now it's just a thing you do because it's a thing that everybody does.

• Like x 7
  11. swirlingflight

Yeah!!! It's fun as a cultural artifact, distorted and lingering and not quite serving its original purpose because they don't understand it well enough to put it to that use.

• Like x 4
  12. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

ne-Crowing this

a fantroll of mine (honestly my trollsona but that's not relevant) was Corvid-themed
    she always Capitalized hard c's (but not soft ones) and made bird puns fairly often
    i don't remember what her Cawnsorts were though honestly it's been a while
    i know, yet another animal-themed troll wasn't really original, i Could have invested more time in her

...now that i'm thinking about it i Kinda want to go baCk and re-draw her.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  13. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Sollux doesn't actually do that! It's purely a fanon thing. (The "two" thing is canon, though.)

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I cant beelieve it /joke

• Winner x 3
  15. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter literally Eevee

well, I said I'd make a troll with the 3 = w quirk, so..... allow me to introduce Tayana Felyyk. she's an oliveblood who's big into astronomy, and in astronomy the lower-case version of Σ is used for velocity dispersion. Σ looks kinda like a backwards 3 and is apparently derived from a Phoenician letter that looks like W.
    .....look, I invented the quirk before the troll, it was hard to find a reason for her to have it, so I reached. a lot. if anyone has better ideas please offer them because I am actually genuinely kind of fond of this troll, she loves detective novels and stories, especially detective noir, and supernatural stuff, and she pretends she's a detective sometimes, and she's a nerd who loves tabletop roleplaying games and video games, and her lusus is a big ole winged mouse, and I love her okay ANYWAY maybe I'll just alter her quirk?? idk but I wanted to do this because it's obnoxious and therefore necessary.

so. Tayana. BEGIN DEMONSTRATION OF QUIRK!

she doesn't capitalize the beginning of sentences. actually, she only capitalizes names and proper places, unless she is capitalizing for A Certain Kind Of Emphasis, and she uses full caps for a DIFFERENT kind of emphasis. she 3ill sometimes (3rite her thoughts on 3hat is happening in parentheses, to emulate detective noir films and novels.) if she's excited, she starts! talking! in bursts!! 3ith lots of exclamation marks!!! ....3hich can be very annoying to some of her friends, as she is Very Easily Excited.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  16. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

-crashes thread- WE HAVE A QUIRKS THREAD OMG???

So. Quirks.

Oneira Eluvei went through a few while I was gauging what she's like, and ultimately ended up with pirate/ship puns and double r, the latter of which I only utilize while texting because I can't be assed, and the former one I utilize halfways because I don't have a decent list.

Her ancestor Gobano Eluvei has the most annoying quirk to do because she exclusively talks in four-line rhymes. I ditched locking her to a scheme (she was exclusively using abba for a while) because it got too difficult, so now she also uses aabb and abab.

Riassu Manala prefaces every line with a >|< (symbolizing a snowflake) and textreplaces o with *, leading to some hilariously starred out words.

Her ancestor Aurora Manala uses knife puns, and is fond of rhyming on other people's phrases. Gobano rubbed off on her.

Fiaina Sgread prefaces every line with a b, ends it with a #, and uses music puns as far as I can remember any.

• Like x 2
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Found this thread after several years and I don't even have any developed fantrolls but I do have ideas for quirks for them. I am committed to the idea that Elwurd's hypothetical ancestor speaks in sapphic stanzas, and Kuprum's speaks entirely in meme quotes with the battle cry "IMMA FIRIN MA LAZOR!" I also want to use one whose quirk is malapropisms or otherwise mangled words, and since we have ones who use tab spaces or ellipses to signify speaking slowly, Ithinkweneedonewhorunsalltheirwordstogetherreallyfastlikethis.

• Like x 1
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Few I wanna steal from Mr Welch's List:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice