Low Spoons Food Thread

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Vast Derp, Apr 22, 2015.

1. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

[​IMG]
    Any of you guys seen these things? They're wonderful. Just shake, take the lids off, stick it in the microwave, and you're golden. Just chuck it in the trash when you're done, too. Nothing to clean.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    • Like x 5
  2. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

More eat it out of the package: Individually sliced pieces of cheese. Turkey slices. Lunchables are actually really great, when I had a complete spoon drain about a year ago I lived off of Lunchables and microwave alfredo for a month.

Butter pasta. Ridiculously easy. Butter freezes; buy it in bulk. Make the pasta. Take cup of pasta. Add tablespoon of butter. Add salt and pepper and possibly parmesan. Problem: Make the pasta. But once you make the pasta, you can also have it cold with Italian dressing and maybe some olives for impromptu pasta salad.

How do you make pasta without dirtying dishes? This is a very important question.

3. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Deli meats are favorite snacks for me especially when I get protein cravings but can't food properly. I'm not a huge fan of turkey/chicken as deli meat but grandma usually gets different kinds of ham that I like. Don't even bother with a sammich, just take out a couple of the tiny slices while you work out what Real Food to eat. I usually eat them while my insta-soups are nuking.

4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

#1 snack combo when i need me a proteins: colby cheese, garlic sausage, triscuits.

oh jeebus i'm a dumb butt, luka just swung by to drop off my share of the groceries and he even asked if there was anything i wanted that wasn't on the list but i clean forgot i wanted those ;_;

5. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

It occurs to me that we very nearly have enough in here for a cookbook. Call "I have no spoons and I must eat" or something, distribute a free pdf.

On that note, Nai's One Minute Warm Bagel Sandwich:

Bagel (cut in half)
    Lunch meat of choice (mine's turkey) (enough for however you like your sandwich, I usually use 6-7 slices)
    Sliced cheese (American works best, as it melts the right amount of goopy, IMO) (I usually use two slices)

-> Assemble sandwich (bagel bottom, lunch meat, cheese, bagel top)
    -> Microwave for 30-45 seconds (depending on strength of microwave) until edges of sandwich are cheese-flowy-off (but not beyond that otherwise it gets messy to eat)
    -> Enjoy warm noms

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  6. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

@Starcrossedsky Should I make one? I could probably run everythin through texmaker and have a .pdf by evening. (same with the other cooking thread)

7. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

It'd probably benefit from more organization than "shove it all in a PDF maker." I'm hypothetically willing to take it on, but not tonight, as I just did a Moderate Spoons Cooking and I'm tired.

• Like x 1
  8. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I did ultimate low spoons food tonight, and got take away Mexican food. Apart from the choosing (everything seems delicious!) it's not that big of a deal for me :)

• Like x 1
  9. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Takeout is the worst for me. You have to put on clothes such that people wont be silently judging you AND talk on the phone AND drive somewhere AND talk to people and and and... :( I would rather cook every time.

That said, internet ordering delivery pizza is the best thing ever. I dont even like pizza, and i dont even care.

• Like x 3
  10. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@Lissiel, have you discovered websites like the ones listed here and here? I'm not sure whereabouts you are, but similar sites in Canada have saved my bacon more than once. you still need to wear pants and communicate briefly with the food courier, but everything else is usually online.

• Like x 2
  11. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

@Kaylotta THAT IS AMAZING. Thank you so much!

• Like x 1
  12. Emma

I was already dressed after a day in the hospital working, so I was already decently dressed, and was in the neighbourhood :P

13. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

There was totally no offense meant by that! I just figured it was one of those 'different things cost people different amounts of spoons' things. Sorry if my comment made you feel bad. :(

14. Emma

No, I didn't feel bad! Sorry if my post made you feel that! I just wanted to explain, because I totally get your feeling! That's sometimes how I feel as well, when I have a bad day and don't want to leave the house. Totally know that feeling.

• Like x 1
  15. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

My brainbad tends to manifest as 'im never leaving the house again be glad i got out from under my blankets fuck making words at people no im never gonna social ever again words are terrible people are terrible fuck everything.' So by the time i need low spoons stuff going outside and taking to people makes for a pretty high barrier for me. Def not the case for everyone though.

16. Magpie

Magpie a nest full of shiny things

My biggest low-spoons food ever is instant Grits. I don't know if anybody here lives in the South, but they're hot food that you can literally make by ripping open two packets, pouring them into a bowl, letting the hot water tap run for a couple minutes, stirring water into powder. The end, now you have hot, savory, filling food. (It's ground-up hominy, for anyone who's never had grits. It comes in about a trillion different flavors but I heartily recommend the red-eye gravy one as it's ham-flavored and has tiny niblets of dried meat in the packet.)

If your local store doesn't sell it, you can probably get it on Amazon for dirt cheap. :D

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  17. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

Apparently my spoons are most directly related to the number of ingredients going into a recipe - the bottleneck seems to be executive function: planning what comes from and goes to where, where I put the wrappers, whether I have enough, etc. I can do food prep for a while as long as I can do it from a chair, but I've resigned myself to the fact that spice mixes rather than individual spice fine-tuning are all that I can handle most of the time. The local ethnic grocery sells "vegetable soup mixes" - an onion, a corn-on-the-cob that was way too small to sell, a wedge of cabbage, etc. - and those seem to take less spoons to use than actually getting all the vegetables separately, but still more than just getting a single vegetable or two.

I also add olive oil to everything. If I don't give enough of a damn for, or forgot to buy, proper pasta sauce, pasta gets a drizzle of olive oil. Canned chickpeas come out of the can, get rinsed, get a drizzle of olive oil and maybe a dash of lemon juice if I have any lemon juice, get eaten that way.

Another appliance good for low-spoons cooking (which I've seen mentioned a few times, but is worth calling out specifically) is the electric kettle, for boiling water in. There's a great deal of food that can be prepared by pouring boiling water over it.

I also shared this recipe in Kintsugi Kitchen but this is a split pea soup that's been streamlined to require as few ingredients and spoons as possible:

18. sicknastyspades

sicknastyspades Most Rad.

I really like the idea of a low spoons cookbook, and it occurs to me it might help people to have it organised by method of preparation/cooking.
    Ugh, how do I explain things. F'r instance, I'm okay with spending a lot of time chopping vegetables or adding spices; that sort of thing is rarely a drain for me. But I'm bad at dealing with anything which is "put it in the oven for x amount of time" because on a low spoons day there is far too much chance I will forget about it completely, so I'd want a recipe where it's in a pan and I can stir (to have something to do with my hands) and check the readiness via sight/taste.
    And I'm sure a lot of other people will have the opposite problem, where they hate needing to stand over a thing and prefer to be able to put it in the oven and leave it.
    And it's often super draining to spend ages looking for something I can cook under those restrictions, so if hypothetical cookbook becomes less hypothetical that might be something to consider.

• Like x 1
  19. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

A cookbook is linear, some sort of facet search interface would be awesome for this because otherwise we'd have dupes.
    Hm.
    An EPUB would work better for this, I think....

20. sicknastyspades

sicknastyspades Most Rad.

Oh yeah, that'd probably work best. You could have labels for stuff like "requires no cooking", "makes a fuckton of food you can freeze for later", "dessert".

Or "quick ways to spice up bland food". Or "this is super bland and inoffensive". Eating bland food is bizarrely effort-intensive for me so an assortment of ways to make my food intensely flavoured would be helpful. And a lot of people probably have the opposite problem where they don't want to eat a flavr.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice