Making DIY Lemonade out of Broken Dresser Lemons

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by missoyashirou, Dec 20, 2015.

1. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

So, I just found out the dresser broke in mid-move. I'm more happy that my fiance and one of our friends were not grieviously injured in this process, but now we have the problem of that. Two of the drawers are irreparably damaged (with a third being salvageable based on parts spared from the broken first two), as are two of the sliders for the dresser.

There is a small shelf inside of the dresser itself, between the drawers however. This appears to be something that's just built in, possibly as a function of the dresser.

I was considering on removing the sliders, sanding the inside part, and painting the interior part. I have not decided if I want to add another shelf where the top set of slides are and converting this into a semi-bookcase, or just painting the entire thing and getting a large wicker basket for this bit. Also, I can't decide if I should paint the internal bit dark red (matches blackout curtains I'm going to have in the room, meshes very well with black) or paint it blue and consider painting the external pieces white in the near future (matches the bedding, opens up room more instead of darker colors).

I'm not sure what will take up more spoons and what's something I can do as someone who has never done furniture-based DIY before and unsteady hands, to be honest. Is this over-elaborate, and should I simplify this? Also, will the bottom board be fine on it's own, or should I fortify it with a piece of MDF? It has no cracks from what I can see, but I worry the books/board games/detritus we'll be putting on it will be too heavy and snap the bottom shelf. It's also MDF, for what it's worth, and it seems pretty stable right now.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice