May try to move this weekend

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Feb 9, 2018.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Realistically I'll probably get bogged down and not do it, but this MIGHT be the point at which I attempt the thing. This may involve temporary outages, or the site being in two places at once, etcetera, so don't worry about it if things seem weird.

• Informative x 5
  2. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

how does one go about moving a weekend?

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  3. seebs

*cries*

• Witnessed x 7
  4. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Do you mean the server, or your house?

[Edit:] I suppose the house would include the server though.

5. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I'm not sure how crying is supposed to move a weekend.

• Agree x 4
  6. seebs

Server, not house. Want to switch up some hosting stuff, and for reasons it became something I'd like to do soonish.

• Informative x 3
  7. seebs

FWIW, it looks like I will indeed attempt the thing. The attemptening will probably happen today. So expect the server to be out for a bit. Quite a bit longer than last time, I might add. Like, hour-or-three.

Note, this is your fault. You monsters have uploaded something like 8GB of attachments.

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 2
  8. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Wow, I suddenly feel super motivated to post so many more robot pictures than ever before

• Agree x 7
    • Winner x 2
  9. seebs

you people are monsters

So plan is, phase 1, gonna make sure I can run the software on new site, phase 2, actually start moving things, phase 3, point DNS. once "actually start moving" happens this copy of software will be down, and at some point you should see updates and start seeing new site. i hope. if it works.

for reference normally i would have at least a week to do this and i'd have help from a friend who's better at it.

• Witnessed x 6
    • Like x 1
  10. context-free anon

DNS changes are always a pain. i set the TTL on all of my DNS records to 10 minutes, but last time i changed one a few people were still seeing the old address 24 hours later.

11. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

thanks sbees for hosting 8gb of cat pictures and memes

• Agree x 18
  12. seebs

So, current state: The new machine runs, I can bring kintsugi up on it. I'm doing some DNS propagation stuff. When that's a bit closer to settled, I'll take the site down, migrate the data again, and change kintsugi.seebs.net to point to the new machine, and then there will be some delay while that change takes effect.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
  13. seebs

move is successful except DNS is being slow partially because I made a funny mistake, anyway, should be about 5ish hours for most stuff to expire old cached entries, or less.

• Winner x 9
    • Like x 1
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

thanks seebs sbees sknaht

• Agree x 5
  15. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I spent the entire time it was down clicking the bookmark on muscle memory every ~15 minutes and then getting the database error page and going, "Oh, right."

• Agree x 12
    • Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  16. seebs

Ironically, my home network refused to pick up the new name for an unduly long time. I was using a workaround which I should probably have mentioned was an option but it didn't occur to me, of using a different name I'd been using during testing. So basically, "me too".

• Witnessed x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

One of these days the server will go out for a few days except to Seebs, who will circumvent the downtime with some arcane methodology he's never mentioned before and use the opportunity to become the most recent post in every thread on the forums.

• Like x 4
    • Useful x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  18. seebs

BTW, there may be a later supplemental brief outage or two, the new server seems happy but there's probably stuff to fix/do/etc. and I may not have much advance notice on things.

• Informative x 7
  19. context-free anon

just out of interest, what was the reason for moving the server? was it because the forum is only 3 years old and you wanted to stop being accused of harbouring minors in your house?

• Like x 7
  20. seebs

Long story, but basically I needed to move my hosting to a new hosting company For Reasons and this server is on that host. Kintsugi has never actually been in my house.

• Informative x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice