Med School or Bust -REQUESTING ADVICE-

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Rongeur, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

The good news? In my experience med school has zero to few essays.

• Like x 1
  2. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

I have some Quick Essay Tips, if you want them - I found a process online ages ago and I've been using it to knock out pretty solid essays in the minimum amt of time possible (ymmv depending on the essay topic tho, I'm speaking mostly from the vantage point of "how does this book relate to marxism/feminism/brain bullshit")

3. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

It took me forever, but I finally figured out a way for me to do papers.
    The hardest part for me is just getting started. Once I've started (if I'm not having huge ex.dys. problems) I'm on a roll and can keep going until it's finished.

To get around the blank page problem, either I do a super basic outline and just do bullet points throughout, or I pretend I'm explaining the paper to my mom (or sometimes I actually am explaining the paper to my mom :P). Once I have something on the page, I can make it more formal, fill out sentences, whatever I need to do to make it a Paper instead of a collection of words on a page.

To get around ex.dys. problems, I try to do a bit, take a break, do a bit. Either I do it by sections, or I do 20 min work/10 break. Or 45/15. When I take a break, I try to move somewhere else and do something completely different so that my brain understands place 1 is Work Place and place 2 is Break Place.

Idk if any of this is helpful or if I'm explaining things you already know, but yeah.

4. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

Midsemester Status Update: Doing pretty well. Grade wise, I'm pulling straight A-'s in my humanities, and extremely solid mid-90s in my sciences.
    Still not back on track with the to-do list, which is irking at me because I liked those a lot. Feel pretty okay with having taken spring break more-or-less "off", though, since it refilled my spoons a ton. Can probably afford the time to schedule tomorrow or Friday. (wish I had a list so it wasn't so up-in-the-air). Today I have a MOSAIC essay exam at 3:00, which is a bit of a cause for concern on several levels:
    -It's late in the day, when my meds have started to wear off
    -I generally take a long time to write, and the class isn't very long
    -I've only gotten one other grade in the class, so this will be relatively major to my grade
    -I think the teacher just plain doesn't like me too much.

I've brought one of my short acting as needed ADHD pills to try and counteract the med issue. Other than that, I think the name of the game today is spoon conservation. Do some productive but not super taxing stuff, stick to my comfort zone, remember to eat proper food and stay hydrated.

• Like x 4
  5. Rongeur

Upd8: Exam went Not Terribly. Spent yesterday in a mucus-and-Benadryl tinged hay fever haze at home. Got fuck all done, but whatev.

6. Rongeur

Status Update: I got an A on the exam, which means I'm pulling straight As in my classes, praise Jesus Hallelujah. Which in turn means that the (entirely internal, self-inflicted) pressure is on to keep it up. Not so great.

We're coming up to the end-of-the-semester crunch, and I can feel my spoon average waning. I've got two end-of-semester paper type deals on the distant horizon. I'm probably good if I get started on both of them NOW, but god, writing still freaks me out so bad. Besides that, I've got an A&P lecture exam tomorrow, and then a A&P lab exam and a chem lecture exam a week later.
    Here's my analysis of the situation:
    A&P lecture - haven't been reviewing as much as I ought to lately, but my notes are immaculate and I've got most of the material down. Spend a decent chunk of today reviewing the fine details and gotcha questions, and I should be dandy.
    Chem lecture - On acids/bases. I can manipulate those equations no sweat, so if I work a few problems now and then to keep in shape, and do some fine review a few days prior, it won't be an issue.
    A&P lab - I've been neglecting this one. If the exam was today, I'd be boned. Fortunately, it's not - I've got a week+ to get caught up on shit. Today is the open lab, so I've gotta take the opportunity to get in there to poke at the pigs. If I do some good sketches, I should be good.
    Papers - first things first, I need to get this broken down into individual pieces with individual deadlines. "Write a paper and turn it in a month from now" is too abstract for me. I think I absolutely have to do that today - break it down into the simplest possible component tasks, so I can make an actual schedule.

• Like x 4
  7. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

You are mighty, and doing super well <33 You've got this on lockdown.

• Like x 1
  8. Rongeur

Jesus fucking shit I hate writing classes. I hate that this is still such a tremendous fucking stumbling block for me that all my hard earned progress and skills go totally to shit the moment I'm faced with a SIMPLE. FUCKING. FRESHMAN-LEVEL. PAPER. I hate being filled to the gills with anxiety and brain fog every moment I have a paper hanging over my head. I just want so fucking badly to be able to function like a normal fucking person.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice