meditations on reporting

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

A'ight. Just a poor choice of synonym is all, next time just point it out so I can clarify.

2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I just did. I am very literall so when I said part of I meant part of, and my other concerns/opinions still stand. Aka rather have a link to a thread with more explanations from which people can copy and paste or pick one out if they like. But it saves space and meaning at the same time.

3. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I do like the idea of having pre-typed sentences in the thread for people to simply copypasta

• Like x 1
  4. Khan

Khan why does anyone NOT hate her

An awful lot of people seem to think the report function will be abused by evil report-happy users trying to get them punished, when that's the opposite of the problem @seebs described.

The problem is not enough people reporting predatory or unsettling behavior when they see it, because they think their concerns will be dismissed out of hand, or they should just suck it up, or the people that they are reporting will get angry with them. I don't know where posters in this thread are under the impression that the converse is a problem. That's kind of the opposite of the thing being debugged here.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    • Agree x 5
  5. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I didn't get that impression? I thought the concern about misapplied things wasn't so much "this will result in abuse" as "this might lead people to misunderstand the purpose". Or result in people assuming that a specific listed thing is Grounds For Deletion, and then being sad if it isn't. Which doesn't mean it results in abuse by report-happy users, it just means that people will be more confused rather than less.

• Like x 2
  6. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

I nominate "help" or "help plz"

• Like x 4
  7. kmoss

kmoss whoops

my issue with having a dropdown menu- (and this is a moot point since we can't do it anyway, I just want to make sure yall know where I'm coming from here), is that even if we Also have a thing to write stuff in, is that when I, personally, am stressed out and worried about something, and am given any options that don't exactly fit what I'm worried about, I will type out a whole paragraph, sit back, go "no, if it was an option, they would have put it in here, this is ridiculous, what are you even doing", and delete it.

this is a counterintuitive and personal foible of mine, so I may well be the only one. and it isn't even a thing we can do.

I like the idea of explaining different things to report in the post because it doesn't ding me quite as much as "these are your options"...and, knowing the mods, I'm confident in assuming some of the suggestions will be weird enough that it could encompass a great deal of bizarre possibilities for report reasons.

...if that makes sense

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Also, like, fyi (given that I'm already here and looking at stuff instead of reading a 90 page FEMA article), '???' is a totally reasonable complete comment in a report. We will then see the thing you reported, and presumably either understand why you went '???' or follow up with you - not in, like, a confrontational way, but to check in.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 2
  9. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

In case anyone is wondering, this is what a report looks like from the moderator end.

Screen shot 2017-09-05 at 8.25.05 PM.png

• Informative x 12
    • Useful x 1
  10. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

We're not nearly organized enough to do all the handling and assigning and rejecting stuff.

11. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Sometimes we (or, I guess, I've seen that Beldaran's done it, and I've done it) assign the name-change ones to Seebs! Since we can't actually do them.

• Informative x 1
  12. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

And here's a pic of what moderators can do to posts.

Screen shot 2017-09-05 at 8.34.34 PM.png

• Informative x 11
    • Like x 1
  13. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

To answer a question asked elsewhere:

No, there is no time limit on when a post could be reported.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  14. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

thank you for showing us how the back-end of reports/mod actions work, rigs, i'm much relieved seeing how that actually works for you guys, now i know how that shows up and what you guys can do about it in the sense of the code base, and that is very reassuring to know

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice