Meds Experiences Thread!!

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Secret Squirrel, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Okay, ill see what i can do to get ahold of them. Ive been on a lot of different antidepressants before, the extra sleepyness and tremors/shaking is definitely different this time. I feel like my brain is made of happy soup and am violently trembly at my worst and sorta jittery at my best. I have high blood pressure in general and take meds for it, id just noticed its been a little higher recently.

I already take my meds before bed, and am still drowsy and droopy during the day, basically from the leftover happy soup. Im less daydreamy and more " completely checked out for hours at a time/cant conceive time passing" at this point haha. And when i said everything feels nicer i meant physically. Im not really all that less depressed, but my pillows, blankets, bed, and basically everything feel VERY nice to touch/ rub m y face on. Ive always had a low/ near nonexistant libido, so idk about that being very meds affected

2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I was put on a mood stabilizer (seroquel) quite a while back (maybe 1 1/2 years ago?) for almost exactly the same reasons and symptoms and i did very good on them. It sounds like maybe theres some miscommunication there though, if your therapy techniques are helping enough you shouldnt have to deal with meds as well. Maybe see what dose they wants to start you at and tell them you want to do some research before you start or dont start it? You know you best.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

Random olanzapine/Zyprexa anectdata, in case anyone in the future finds it useful. Disclaimer: I am taking it for 5 days in order to end a migraine that lasted over a week, so I can't speak to its effectiveness for psychiatric med purposes, but I seem to have gotten the side effects all right.

That is to say that I am massively drowsy in the morning and at night, and have dry mouth bad enough that my throat's gotten sore.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ye can confirm zyprexas MO is basically "turn you into a sleep zombie"

• Agree x 1
  5. Takoto

Takoto A tired cat-bird.

Amitriptyline is probably the worst medication I've ever taken and I was on it for ten years; if I missed a dosage I had 0 spoons for the next few days, as well as being so disassociation-y I couldn't even walk to the bus stop and back. It also caused me to slip into a mania-like state if I had to miss several doses in a row, where I didn't sleep for four/five days, and made several sudden life decisions (eg. travelling to another part of the country on two hours notice/planning, no sleep, and I had work the next day). I was finally allowed off it recently, and I think I've been much better for it, though my chronic pain is being a problem.

I'm also on levothyroxine and sertraline but I've been really lucky with side effects with those; aside from when I first started taking levothyroxine, I had to call an ambulance because I thought I was having a very prolonged heart attack. But I guess that's what happens when you're body suddenly has adequate amounts of thyroid hormone after 91434819 years of not having it in the correct dose.

• Witnessed x 2
  6. Nochi

Nochi small waterfall of pure void

I've been on Zoloft/setraline for about two weeks now. 25 mg to start with, 50 since last Tuesday. Has anyone had issues with all-day drowsiness when taking it at night? Does it go away eventually or is it something I should definitely bring up at my follow-up? The last time I was on Zoloft I was 15 and the prescribing doctor was an idiot.

7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Give it another week, and if its still making you zonked id talk to the doc about it. Basically all antidepressants are gonna either knock you out or give you WAY too much energy, and it usually goes away.

• Informative x 1
  8. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

An observation: I've picked up a lot more stimming behaviors since starting trintellix (notable because i'm 90% sure i'm not sperg)

• Informative x 1
  9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Interesting! Could be heightened anxiety and/or fidgitey restlessness that comes with a lot of psych meds?

10. Birdy

Birdy so long

Is a side effect of Wellbutrin being extremely dizzy even with adequate hydration, blood sugar, and sleep? Even if it's doing approximately jack fucking shit otherwise?

• Witnessed x 2
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Could be raising your blood pressure (edit: or severely lowering but its most likely to be high), or just giving you that specific flavor of vertigo that comes with some antidepressants. If you dont own a cuff itd probably be smart to use the free one at the grocery store just to be safe?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  12. Birdy

Birdy so long

hmm, okay. I tend towards *extremely* low blood pressure naturally, but maybe it is elevated and that's why drinking more water isn't helping

• Agree x 1
  13. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

prob a lot of records of citalopram already but... Been taking citalopram for uh, almost a year I think? Felt more drifty and dissociative at first to a disconcerting amount but it eventually meshed into a very regular dissociation, uh, lower libido is accurate I think? (but my libido flatlined before I even took the meds so not such a huge difference on my end). There is no reason to believe it gives me weird dreams and yet I feel like ever since I've took it I've had weird dreams.

That being said, it made me feel like I was capable of talking to people, greatly reduced anxiety and made me want to kill myself less, all of which are pretty good. Tried upping the dose once to see if it would give me more motivation but it just made me so dissociative that I was sleeping of dissociation a lot and it was not great. So hm, maybe for other ppl w dpdr issues like me might pose a problem? Something to wriggle with, maybe.

14. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

i've discovered that when i miss my lexapro + abilify, i'm not nauseous the next day. at all. since i've been living with near-constant nausea for almost a year, it might be time to revisit things and get my dosage adjusted. because god damn i forgot how nice it is not to be on the edge of throwing up always.

i'm a little scared because apart from the constant nausea and the 35 pounds i've put on, this has been the best medication combo for me, brain-wise. but we're going into the summer, which is traditionally my best time of year, so it might be a good time to try an adjustment. i see the doctor again in about two weeks and i think i'll bring it up then.

15. Birdy

Birdy so long

Just got told that if I fail another antidepressant I would be a candidate for TMS
    @_@

• Witnessed x 1
  16. hyperfuck

hyperfuck they/them

uhhhhh ... what the fuck

have they tried any other medications that arent antidepressant SSRIs? those dont work for everyone, it might be not-depression, etc.

17. Birdy

Birdy so long

I've done Prozac (an SSRI) and Wellbutrin (an NDRI atypical antidepressant)

Prozac worked really well (without mania/hypomania) until it didn't and Wellbutrin did jack fucking shit. Next is probably an SNRI since they won't prescribe MAOIs or tricyclics anymore. That's all three classes of second generation antidepressant, so if I go on, say, Effexor, and it doesn't help, I might have to just get magnetized.

• Informative x 1
  18. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

so i finally got sick of being nauseous every single day of my life, and complained enough to my medication nurse that she decided to switch my meds completely. i was on 15mg lexapro and 5mg abilify, and it actually worked really well for my brain problems! there was just the constant nausea and the 40 pounds i've gained since going on it.

so instead i'm now on Buspar, which is apparently known for its light side effects. fingers crossed that things get better.

• Like x 3
  19. Kemmasandi

Kemmasandi Optimus Prime's disapproving eyebrows

Has anyone else had a... paradoxical experience of benzodiazepines? I was given a diazepam tablet to calm a tachycardia of 140+bpm the other week, and while it did so pretty effectively, it also made me feel more alert and alive than I have in literal months. I was sitting there in the hospital bed going nuts stimming because I had literally nothing else to do lmao. I looked it up just now and apparently it's been noted that developmentally disabled ppl will sometimes have the opposite reaction to benzos in general.

20. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Yes, I've had a paradoxical reaction to lorazepam. I react really, really well to it usually up to 4mg per day, but exceeding that by very much will make me weirdly overreactive. I'll burst into uncontrollable sobs for like barely any reason at all. Then I'll be annoyed that I'm crying and that will make it worse. I am disabled? Nonverbal learning disorder. My doctor didn't mention whether that might be related. He just said it was an uncommon but known issue and lowering the dose ought to take care of it, which it did.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice