"Meet Me at the Sign of the Rabid Raccoon" - The Kintsugi Sigil Thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by rigorist, Mar 19, 2016.

1. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

By popular request, it exists!

• Like x 1
  2. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

My art skills are limited to making rainbow gradient circles on the faces of Swiss theologians. So don't look to me to draw these things.

• Like x 1
  3. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

I'm also not really sure what a sigil is other than a small drawing.

• Like x 1
  4. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

That's alright, my vague understanding of this is about pretty much 'cool shit that I put on witchy things for art' which is, mostly, why I was hesitant to move it over to the actual witchy thread. Also FMA circles and alchemy in the real world, etc etc.

Someone on my dash posted about how they make their sigils using numerology and I think I might try that for funsies.

5. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I make sigils by writing out what I want the sigil to, like, say, I guess? and then I use the letters to make the sigil, by taking common shapes and things I find in the letters and...mashing them together.

• Like x 2
  6. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Thankfully my obsession with pictograms means that I already have a number of self-representative symbols.

Blackhole with Improved Smoothing in a square plain.png

The Dark Star is essentially a personal identity symbol, with a few other meanings.

Four Bars.png

The Four Bars are similar, but refer more to my internet/media accounts and presence.

By simply tracing the outline of either of these, a decent sigil could probably be devised to represent me personally, for banishment or otherwise.

• Like x 1
  7. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

now I'm curious what my kintsugi sigil would be? I have a hard time coming up with symbols that represent myself.

• Like x 1
  8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

(Please try to come up with a complex ritual of banishment for me.
    I wanna know how people think they could get rid of me.)
    Huh I wonder if my art signature thingie (the three initials of my internet name mushed together in a way as to resemble the two initials of my rl-name) would count as a sigil?
    I've never done sigil magic idk.

9. chaoticArbiter

I mean, my way of making a sigil to represent you would be to do this:
    liminal
    lmn (get rid of vowels and repeated letters)
    make pretty shapes and stuff out of lmn until it is a mashed-together symbol no longer recognizable as letters
    sigil!

• Like x 1
  10. BlackholeKG

I saw a cool thing on tumblr where people were using the paths of phone keyboard swiping to design sigils, that might work as something to try.

• Like x 1
  11. chaoticArbiter

....I gotta try this

• Like x 2
  12. BlackholeKG

Honestly one of these days I've got to try and put together a hieroglyphic conlang.

• Like x 4
  13. liminal

I tried following your steps:

sigilstruggle.png

• Like x 10
  14. chaoticArbiter

actually, that last one is....a pretty good sigil.

15. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

You can find a dozen "how i make sigils" guides on Tumblr. Everyone has their own personal method! I saw one person recently who basically has a sigil dictionary with simple sigils for individual words. Like say, they might have symbols for "me", "receive", and "money" Then they combine those symbols to essentially form sentences like "I want to get money"

16. liminal

cool! I just didn't wanna appropriate because it seemed like... idk, important imagery? and religious scrupulosity is a real pain to deal with

but I felt better when I looked it up and saw that the only symbol it looked even remotely like was the tree of life!

17. chaoticArbiter

yeah, I think you're good on not appropriating symbols. and it did come out a pretty good sigil!! but like @Mentarnes said, everyone has their own method.

18. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Playing with words/letters or is actually a pretty common method! I haven't heard of anyone accidentally copying an important symbol before and I've never seen people get mad about others using similar sigil methods, so you're probably good!

19. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

I mean, I already know what mine is.

• Like x 1
  20. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

ooh ooh someone do one for me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice