Minecraft

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by seebs, May 9, 2015.

1. Vast Derp

Vast Derp Professional Griefer

Here are my preferences:

-extrabiomes XL. the forests, man! the treeeees. this mod will play nice with BoP but there may be ID conflicts with Twilight Forest. I can sort this out before launch if needed.
    -disable the BoP thicket biome ~forever~
    -village generation set to 'true' in all possible biomes, village distance bumped to 20ish
    -sewage and black gunk lake worldgen= false
    -no blood moons til everyone's got a fortress >:)
    -concussion creepers can fuck off
    -i really dig MrCrayfish's furniture mod.
    -reduce default ocean mass

currently testing decocraft

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    • Like x 1
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

But I like the minigame. But okay I guess we can probably do that?

3. seebs

More details on how to do things like change village generation might be useful. I was looking at something called Realistic World Generation, and I don't know whether it knows about extrabiomes XL.

I amn inclined to agree about sewage and black gunk. Not sure immediately how to disable thicket but I would definitely like to see it gone.

4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

extra bees plees
    extra trees plees
    magic bees tambien! and all the thaumcraft-compatible addons that show up in the thaumnomnomnicon? i think you are probs putting those in anyhow but i figured i should say.

edit: oh and we always go "where the hell are all the oreberries" and have to turn them on later so here is reminder that we end up wanting them

5. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Is Mo Creatures an option? I haven't tried it but it sounds good! Unicorns!

• Like x 1
  6. jacktrash

last i heard the creator(s) of mo creatures don't allow it to be used in mod packs :(

7. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

guys i just watched achievement hunters with a dinosaur cloning mod IT WAS SO AWESME

their containment measures leave MUCH do be desired, especially with respect to not letting new dinosaurs wander into the trex enclosure. Or, you know, building any kind of containment measures AT ALL, my GOD why don't you build the enclosures around the damn eggs you idiots

... as you were

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    • Like x 2
  8. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

poking my earlier request for Witchery in again :)

9. seebs

I believe Witchery is already in the stuff I'm using.

• Like x 1
  10. seebs

They don't.

But it turns out that there is an additional complexity, which is that it is not at all clear that the licensing terms Mojang made for Minecraft actually permit most of the crazy restrictions mod creators put on stuff. So basically, my current plan is to just not give a fuck what the crazy modders say.

This is informed somewhat by reading a mod description which included two things: First, a claim that it was absolutely prohibited to modify the code in any way, second, a statement that it was released under the GPL, version 3. (GPL is a license which gives permission to modify and distribute code.)

• Like x 1
  11. seebs

So the deal is roughly as follows:

I'll be uploading a custom launcher which is sort of like atlauncher, but much simpler and also which doesn't have a fancy app wrapper, so it actually has to be directly invoked, like "java -jar blahblah.jar". But once you run it, it should be able to just automatically download Minecraft and the kintsugi server stuff. Note, it needs your minecraft login to verify that you're allowed to play Minecraft. It's based on a project called SKLauncher, all I've done is preconfigure it for my server.

I'm still investigating memory requirements and such, because this is a beautiful pack and I love everything in it but holy shit it's huge.

• Like x 4
  12. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Aahahaha what?

Also, use in modpacks - How the fuck does the creator suppose to check that? I mean, sure, if you upload it for a greater audience, but for more-or-less private use in conjunction with, oooh, spooooky, other mods?
    I mean, ok, no support if it clashes with some other modpack, but completely forbidding it? What?

13. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

do you guys play with thaumcraft warp enabled?

also, @jacktrash would the research puzzles be less annoying if you had access to a cheatsheet or the like? or is the whole process of futzing with the puzzles too annoying to want to deal with at all? (in which case, fair enough.)
    i found this which would give partial puzzle answers (it isn't quite the latest version of tc, not sure if it's sufficiently different as to be useless tho). also i plan to make a solution guide as i go through the thauminomicon again in my current solo world (like, i'm gonna just screenshot my solutions as i go along and post them on like a side tumblr or something). (not that my project would be done in time to be useful to you probably, but it'll be a thing. i am sufficiently annoyed by the tc documentation out there to try to make my own.)

14. seebs

I usually have warp on, yeah. And yes, I've seen research helpers, and actually sorta gotten good at the minigame.

Note that the puzzles are themselves apparently somewhat-random; it's not necessarily the case that two people will see the same puzzles.

15. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

oh, i didn't realize the puzzles are random-ish. so much for that plan.

16. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Man, I might have to test out that dinosaur mod. I made a profile for the potential Kintsugi server, but I'm thinking about making another one to test mods out on my own.

So far, the profile just sits there. I suppose poking around with mods in a different profile would help me get an idea of what and how do.

Now if you will excuse me I have to go to the Rooster Teeth meta thread and cuss out the AH players for their lack of common sense and basic dinosaurbiological knowledge.

• Like x 1
  17. itsAlana

itsAlana let me tell you about the vorkosigan saga

Since the theoretical launcher will be a .jar, it should be able to run on OSX without trouble, right?

(I am perpetually in fear of having to actually learn how to install things more complicated than 'drag it to the applications folder' on my Mac.)

18. seebs

It should, but you may need to do something with a command line for it to actually show up. There's madness. Also you probably need Java 7, not Java 8, for random weird compatibility reasons, and so on. Java has gotten weird thanks to the endless battle between Oracle and reality.

19. jacktrash

also i hate having to stop and look something up and painstakingly copy from one window to another in the middle of my minecrafting. or go get seebs to do it. it's just annoying. if other people really love the puzzles i can live with it, but if other folks are indifferent then let's set it to buy research with points.

• Like x 1
  20. seebs

Okay, so.

This is now ready for people to start trying things. THE WORLD WILL BE WIPED OUT AGAIN. Don't get attached to things!

http://www.seebs.net/minecraft.html

There's instructions and a launcher. I don't know that much about how to make things work for, say, Windows machines, and it may be that you can just double-click jar files or something, heck if I know. In fact, heck, it appears it does work just by double-clicking on the Mac, so.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice