Minecraft

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by seebs, May 9, 2015.

1. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

i'm getting a 404 on the .jar file link, and doing right-click save file as gives me a "failed- no file" error

EDIT: it's working now!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

• Like x 1
  3. Astrodynamicist

i'm running windows 8, and clicking the downloaded .jar file worked to run it. presumably this will also work for other windowses.

now waiting for shit to download.

4. seebs

There may be a need to do something to tell it to associate .jar files with some version of Java, and if you're not on 64-bit, you may need to lower the memory size numbers. Don't lower permgen, though.

5. seebs

Oh, also: If you were not whitelisted on my old server, PM me your minecraft name or something so I can whitelist you.

6. Astrodynamicist

i was not prompted for any of this, so i think that was fine? it finished downloading everything and is now loading the game.

7. seebs

Okay, that's good. It may need to be hinted at the path to the 64-bit JVM for some systems.

8. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

I am excited for this but probably shouldn't try playing minecraft at work. Boo!

9. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Wait, by minecraft name, do you mean the profile name we'll be logging in with, or something else?

(I am still in the process of being confused by the whole add-new-profile thing.)

*edit* fuck it, i'll just pm you all the names. and an email address.

10. vegacoyote

11. Astrodynamicist

[​IMG]

@Vast Derp the villager cots i saw :D

12. seebs

The maximum representable heap size thing means you have a 32-bit Java and need a 64-bit Java, or need to edit the sizes in Options to lower numbers. Like try 3072 instead of 4096 for maximum size.

13. seebs

Okay, so, did an update, you will have to relaunch to log back in. It should pick up the updated mods automatically.

14. Aniseed

Aniseed Well-Known Member

would be helpful if people who got this figured out on windows could potentially post a mini guide here, i saw people talking about it in chat but it's going by too fast and my brain is clocked out at the moment.

15. Aniseed

also random q: is something like mcpatcher/optifine included in the add on pack or is that something i should/can patch on my own? i forget how all that stuff works, it just makes everything look a lot nicer + boosts fps so

16. Astrodynamicist

i'm on windows (specifically windows 8) and i had a really easy time of it, idk if other people's systems will require more futzing but this is all i needed to do:

1) download the .jar file from seebs' site (there's a link upthread)
    2) doubleclick that file to run it
    3) when the SKCraft launcher pops up, click launch and enter your minecraft login info
    4) wait for everything to load, then you should be good to go

apparently some people need to adjust some stuff, but i don't know enough to be able to help with that, esp since i didn't need to myself. hopefully this is all you need to do.

• Like x 1
  17. Astrodynamicist

also sorry if that was obvious stuff you didn't need spelled out. i'm not in chat so idk what else is going on. >.<

18. Aniseed

some people are having a hard time getting the jar to run because double clicking to get it to run can be complicated

i think i might've went through the trouble of all of this at some point in the past because all i had to do was swap the default program trying to run .jars from my unzipping program to Java, but it might take a different method for other people

• Like x 1
  19. vegacoyote

OK, I found a thing in Options that said 4096 and changed it to 3072. The thing was "maximum memory." I got this shiny new error message: http://pastebin.com/CdnBgkwX

How do I switch to 64-bit Java? ... I'll google it, brb.

20. Minitiate

Minitiate Delicious

You can download 64-bit java for windows here: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    I got the same error you did initially, and I got the same second error when I tried to decrease the maximum memory. Installing 64-bit java solved the problem for me, so hopefully it will for you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice