Minecraft

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by seebs, May 9, 2015.

1. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

[​IMG]
    My girlfriend made a discovery. I am 100% gonna recreate the town musicians of bremen

• Winner x 3
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

@Silrini asked me for a list of my go-to mods, and i'm gonna answer here so folks can chime in.

lately i've been trying new modpacks just to see what's out there, but the mods i usually add if they don't already have them are:
    • journeymap - highly configurable minimap, full screen map, and waypoints with survival mode teleportation. keeps me from getting claustrophobic in caves since i can just teleport home if i get lost.
    • veinminer - hold down a key while breaking a block and break all connected matching blocks. by default only works with vanilla tools but if you change the last two options in the config to 'true' you can use anything. be careful not to accidentally knock your house down.
    • hunger in peace - i like to play on peaceful most of the time, but i also like to farm and cook. this mod means i still get hungry from mining even if i'm not getting hit by jump scares all the dang time. needs applecore to be installed too.
    • pam's harvestcraft - lots of things to cook.
    • cooking for blockheads - a functional kitchen!
    • tinker's construct - the best tools. tinker tool leveling and tinkers complement are good mod-mods.
    • just enough items - they almost always have this already, the game is damn near unplayable without it.
    • hwyla - see above.
    • quick leaf decay - solves the problem of leaf blocks hanging in the air indefinitely.
    • no mob spawn on trees - what it says on the tin.
    • torchmaster - provides the feral flare lantern and a few other very useful light sources.
    and here are some faves that i like to throw in a couple of to keep things spicy:
    • botania - imo the most useful magic mod, gives you items like the ring of chordata (swimming, underwater vision, and water breathing) and the rod of the shifting crust (block swapping in large batches, with bonus infinite dirt if you've got the rod of earth in your inventory). in combo with tinker's construct and complement, you can have tools that repair themselves with mana. good stuff.
    • cyclic - a lot of this stuff is pretty overpowered, but i am addicted to the climbing gloves.
    • bibliocraft - configurable bookcases and potion shelves. i like to add some things to the config so i can put harvestcraft jelly and mayo and stuff on the potion shelves.
    • ceramics - porcelain and glazed brick. the marine brick is the prettiest.
    • twilight forest - a fairy dimension of hollow hills and rainbow trees and epic battles. do look up the wiki if you play this, the progression is gated.
    • the betweenlands - a haunted swamp planet with a very weird sky, giant frogs, murky water, breedable snails, and just generally a lot of muddy fun.
    • ender io - how does anyone live without item conduits, i ask you.
    • ender storage - how ender chests should have worked in the first place.
    • applied energistics 2 - kind of a pain in the ass to get anywhere without cheating, as you need to grow crystals and print circuit boards; i tend to just cheat in a drive and hook it up to an ender chest when i don't feel like playing the inventory shuffling minigame. basically, a small cluster of glowy tech looking blocks can hold vast amounts of inventory in a searchable grid. handy!
    • better foliage - makes things look fluffier. when you don't feel like quite as cubey a cube world.
    • biomes o plenty - fancy worldgen.
    • lost cities - post apocalyptic cities full of spawners and treasure! or you can turn off the spawners and treasure and just have empty buildings. one big world-spanning city, widely scattered enclaves, spheres floating in space -- lots of cool worldgen possibilities here.
    • minecolonies - still getting the hang of this one, but it involves human colonists with names and 1870's-looking clothing and you give them materials and they build stuff? for when you feel lonely being the only human on a planet of squidwards.
    • forestry - a BIG BIG mod with LOTS to do, you can breed trees and bees and butterflies for miles.
    • geolosys - i kind of hate strip mining my world, so i like this mod that concentrates ore in dense veins. if you enjoy wandering the caverns picking sparse ores out of the walls this is not for you.
    • random things - another source of sorta-overpowered items with just one i'm totally addicted to, in this case the ender bucket.
    • mystical agriculture - sometimes i don't like the idea of all my resources growing in my back yard instead of me having to go get them, but sometimes i'm focusing on building or villagers and i just want to plant a vast field of lapis and emeralds.
    • hatchery, roost, chickens - see above, but with clucking and poop.
    • ex nihilo - mostly useful for skyblock type games, but adds some fun composting and similar mechanics, for extra homesteading joy.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

What are everyone's dream mods wishlist? for me its
    1. an overhaul of villages. culture is by biome instead of just randomly sprinkled facsimiles of real cultures, and in addition there are underground dwarf villages, forest top elf villages, and orc home camps? Dwarves can teach you enhanced forging techniques (how to make some custom weapons/materials) elves teach you magic (minor to major enchantment overhaul and other kindas of things), orcs teach you combat techniques (look. listen. doge rolls), and humans teach you farming and agriculture (bonus's to taming mobs, to breeding them, to crop harvest, ect)
    2. A pet overhaul- mostly the ability to give pets a "home" so that there's an option between them running after you and falling into lava and them being forced to sit still forever. Maybe also a pet upgrade/ability tree/ but less op then something like doggy talents.
    3. A mod that adds diversity to vanilla biomes instead of adding a thousand new ones. New types of trees, flowers, and structures added, maybe with some form of variation so that every Forest biome doesn't look the same. Ideally also new animals. I'll be real this is one I've been slowly working on myself but I'm butts at both art and coding >.<
    4. A total combat overhaul that makes combat more dynamic and fun and less of a chore yes I know thats next to impossible but. look. timed dodging and parrying. diff weapons w vastly different feels in timing and ability. look. listen.
    5. A mod that adds gems that have purposes other than "here are seven new sets of tools and armor that are all ~~better then diamond~~
    6. A mod that allows you to upgrade your inventory, but more like....like you're adding more pouches? like you can add a Gem pouch or a metal pouch that stores all that kinda stuff, or a tool belt, or ect. I guess like an upgradable backpack that isn't quite just a portable chest

4. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

a mod that adds gems for other purposes than better than diamond armor is treasure gems. well, datapack actually. you can trade the gems you find for player head items with item skins, with a bit of fiddling you can also add you own skin so you can place your own head around.

bop adds gems, but i cant quite remember what they do.

• Like x 1
  5. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

bop gems are purely for aesthetic, unless u have a mod that allows them to be used in tinker stuff.

Oh also! there's a mod that adds a whole bunch of stone which seems cool but actually ends up in your inventory getting stuffed with 8 different cobblestones and its just kinda annoying. But! What if instead stone is simply tinted by biome, and then you can store any stone or cobblestone you get inside a "mineral analyzer" or something like that, and you can choose to get stone out from any biome you've visited. That way you can get all the cool colors of stone without having to carry it around until you want to.

6. jacktrash

my dream mod is one that removes the inventory shuffling game entirely. it would be op in a way, and certainly be a bad choice in modpacks with storage systems, but like... peaceful mode for inventory, you know? sometimes you just do not want to deal. particularly when you have adhd and brain fog. sometimes i actually get so distressed by all the random shit accumulating in my inventory that i stop playing.

i want a mod that makes my inventory be infinite and searchable, so i don't use up all my spoons trying to bring home just one more sapling.

• Like x 2
  7. winterykite

i dont want to say creative mode, but...

also what do you mean, modpack storage system? you can do that with redstone (which reminds me, i need to build that one absofuckinglutely insane one that uses keycards and chest minecarts glitched into one another so it doenst grow with every item you need a new designated chest for)

eta: i know the inventory hell, 's why i built the damn thing and just periodically empty my inventory into the autosorter input chest)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  8. jacktrash

i mean modpacks that include mods like storage drawers or refined storage. those mods would be obsoleted if you had infinite storage.

creative mode doesn't help. the problem is not inability to make enough boxes. the problem is having to put everthing in boxes in the first place.

i have so much trouble with clutter and remembering where things are and cleaning and tidying in real life, sometimes i just cannot handle it in my games. and it seems like everyone's go-to for arbitrary difficulty is limiting your inventory. i hate it, honestly. i mean, i'm used to it, it's part of minecraft, and when i can't deal i just cheat in a ME drive and crafting terminal from AE2. but.

but what if i just. didn't. have to deal. at all. what if my personal inventory was infinite and searchable. what if i just removed that whole spoon drain completely. you know?

9. winterykite

ah. hm.

no idea on that one except an autosorter. you just dump everything into a chest and the system sorts if for you. they're modular and expandable, you just have to set it up. it'd be location dependant tho, nothing you can lug around. even shulker boxes need to be sorted into on the go.
    (as for where shit is in the storage system: ours is sort of thematically grouped, i did that on setup and first planning, and there's item frames with the blocks in question on the chests. so there's a wood corner with all the wood colours and a farm corner with all the plants and a nether corner with all the nether stuff etc)

10. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Refined storage (or maybe ref8ned additions?) Adds a wireless crafting grid connected to your refined storage set up. The only issue is that you need some kinda tranamitter nearby to connect. If you could just key it to a certain storage system and use it anywhere, then you could just cheat urself a massive storage system and creative wireless grid and be able to just shove anything in there automatically

11. winterykite

might be possible with an enderchest modification. if you make an enderchest redstone-accessible, maybe...

12. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

For dumping, I use an ender chest linked into my computer system that just loads everything I drop in.
    For my stoneblock server I have the wireless crafting terminal 2 set up via config so that it can be used infinitely, between dimensions, and at any range. It literally is a portable, sortable inventory/crafting grid.

13. jacktrash

yeah, i use ae2 drive and grid with an ender storage ender chest feeding into it, and carry an ender pouch with me. but that's a lot of tech. we're talking DREAM MODS here, right? my dream mod is one that makes all that space and searchability happen from the moment you first spawn, whenever you hit e.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  14. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Ok actually I changed my mind my DREAM dream mod would be one that completely redos how climate works- not just x biome goes in y climate zone but like. Define factors like temp and humidity that gradient over the world (if u wanna be fancy it can be interrupted by, say, mountains and such) and then have random levels of vegetation and elevation, and define what parameters (height, temp, ect) each plant or mod or such occurs in

• Like x 3
  15. jacktrash

could have some trouble there with the world being functionally infinite, but sevtech's logical heat map is a nice compromise. unfortunately you can't get that on its own, i don't think.

16. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

I figure a mod like this would also include a, say, world limit of +/- x/z 1,000,000 or so, or I guess bigger if you really need a world for a huge fancy build or server (earth size would be like 5,000,000 in each direction I believe?) If u rlly wanna be fancy u could have it "wrap around" when u reach the edge lol

• Like x 1
  17. jacktrash

huh, that'd work. have it be configurable on worldgen, sort of like biomes o plenty worldgen where you can choose continent size and turn off poison pools and so on.

• Agree x 1
  18. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

unrelated to modding: I was walking through town yesterday, and a couple times I passed by posters put up by a local earthquake center advertising the use of minecraft to teach people about earthquakes. I think that's pretty neat (although idk how they'd be able to simulate earthquakes in minecraft off the top of my head...)

• Winner x 1
  19. winterykite

there's the disasters minigame, which works via mods iirc, so maybe something like that?

20. jacktrash

i am intrigued, please post if you find out more!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice