Minecraft

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by seebs, May 9, 2015.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

the mana spreader turntable? i have no idea if it actually spins, or just emits mana beams in different directions. i could look into it.

2. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

3. jacktrash

4. jacktrash

dear modders pls list your dependencies thanks very fucking much

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  5. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

does anyone have any tips or advice on exploring caves? there's a cave under my house I really want to get explorin', but I'm also a big wuss and generally still new to this whole exploring caves thing. but I don't want to just go on peaceful because that takes away all the challenge

specifically like...what are ways to help ease the scariness, and also just general tips like, what items to take down with me and such?

6. versi2

versi2 ???????

You want a good supply of torches, around a stack. Bring a bunch of wood too, to make sticks out of. You'll find lots of coal in the caves, so you can make more torches as you need. Lighting everything up does wonders for making it less scary, at least for me. Having 4 planks to make a workbench if you find yourself needing one is also useful. Assuming you don't have any diamond tools or enchanted tools, bring a couple iron picks. They should last a while, and that way if you do find diamonds you can mine them. Always bring a water bucket, it's very useful for getting down steep holes safely and for neutralizing lava. Make a shield, and use it to block arrows. It makes fighting much more manageable. And if you have enough iron, make a full suit of armor.

I tend to get lost in caves, when exploring I like to build visible structures out of cobblestone that point me where to go. Whenever I find dead ends I go back to the entrance of the dead end and make a short cobblestone pillar as a marker.

If you ever find a mineshaft, mark the path to it well and go back home to prepare. They're dangerous and easy to get lost in. A good supply of wood if you run out, though

And of course, never dig straight down. Or straight up. Although you can tell when lava (or water) is right above you because there will be dripping.

If you set commands to be available when you made your world, you can also set it so that you don't drop your inventory when you die. For me, losing my inventory is more stressful than fun, so I usually do that. It does make things less challenging, though, because you don't fear death as much.

EDIT: Oh! And bring food. I usually bring at least 10 cooked fish because I always have a ton of it, but something similar like bread or steak or something would work. You likely won't be in the caves long enough to starve before your inventory fills up, but you'll probably lose health from monsters and falling, and you need the food to heal.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  7. VJ Wocky

VJ Wocky 36 Somnolent Void Seeks Perfection in Dissonance

for avoiding getting lost: i ether bring signs and mark places i've been/exits that way or (since i tend to err on the lazy side) use a square of torches to mark where i need to go up/down to get back out

i also tend to pick one side of tunnels to put the torches on so i know when im back tracking. ex: put them on the right side so i know to only follow the ones on the left when i want to head back out

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  8. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Seconding the picking a side to stick torches and sticking to it.
    You might also want to bring a stack of something that doesn't generate naturally, like polished diorite, and use it to block off dead ends you've already explored.
    Also, clearly mark ways up/down.

You sound like you're playing singleplayer, so grabbing a friend to explore with you probably isn't an option?

What also helps me a lot is listening to something else in the background. Prevents me from getting drawn into the cavern spookyness.

9. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

I you don't mind cheating, you can also use a command to give yourself night vision so you can get used to the shape of the caves. Be aware that monsters will still spawn unless you actually place torches to light places up.

10. winterykite

Less cheaty, but still handy: Run optifine, and fire arrows light stuff up for you, along with unplaced light sources. Doesn't prevent mobs from spawning, but makes you able to see ::D

11. jacktrash

if you use mods: journeymap.

• Agree x 1
  12. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Thirding the torches on one side thing, with little structures or signs for when you get hit a weird connection or something. Also, while polished diorite can work for blocking things off, plain old cobblestone can often do the trick, especially with signage. Just remember to keep things lit even when sealing it off, so you don't get eight billion mobs spawning behind it.

13. winterykite

plain cobblestone heralds a dungeon for me, heh.

• Informative x 1
  14. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

I never use a lot of redstone so usually as soon as I get down far enough and start racking up stacks of it I use it to make arrows to point my way out

15. winterykite

Worked a bit on pirate town.

pirotetown_01.png
    A fishing hut, made just about completely out of trapdoors. Mostly to see if I could.

pirotetown_02.png
    The tavern/inn! Screenshot before I put in the windows.

(Atm I'm afking to fill up the trading hall, and the server owner's afking at the iron farm so I can finish the storage system xx_xx so much iron.)

• Winner x 2
  16. jacktrash

re: exploring caves: signs are v cheap to make, and you can leave yourself notes. it's fun to editoralize. my cave notes are stuff like "bro i heard u like lava" and "this way to the carboniferous" and "gooooing doooown"

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  17. jacktrash

yeah, "/gamerule keepInventory true" is one of the first things i do in a new world.

• Useful x 1
  18. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Hey everyone! I am a complete noob to minecraft and only just downloaded it tonight! I'll be playing with some friends in their modded server on survival, and I watched a video so I know some basic things, but are there any resources you'd recommend me checking out to learn the gameplay/what to do/how to survive as a newbie?

19. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

the official minecraft wiki is a pretty good place to start, from what I've read of it! it has some detailed tutorials and various tips/tricks you can read, not to mention all the information compiled on basically everything to do with the game itself. it is a publically-editable wiki, though, so take most things with a grain of salt

here's the tutorials page to start with!

20. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice