Misophonia?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Void, Jan 3, 2017.

1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i mean... would it be possible to explain the situation to your housemates and your roommate maybe? Just explain that the noises bother you A LOT and that it would be easily fixable if you could just run music constantly or wear headphones or whatever and that you aren't doing it to be rude?

2. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

probably? but at the same time I don't feel good or comfortable telling people that I have problems, or that I need accommodations. I already am frustrating enough with my lack of social, but this on top of it makes me pretty much all around rude and terrible housemate

3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Mhmh I uderstand that feeling but it's not a huge accomodation to make imo? But yeah, idk. I'm trying to come up with ways to deal with this myself still so I'm probably not much help, sorry!

4. Void

it's alright. probably doesn't help right now that i'm extra irritable and like massively social negative due to that lovely part of the month that everyone i think probably loathes

5. Pumpkageist

Pumpkageist Warning: I Shitpost

I have noise-related sensory issues that seem to have gotten a lot worse over the past year or so, and my aversion to certain sounds (mostly mouth noises) has led to me developing a reaction towards similar sounds that wouldn't usually scramble my brain which I guess could be considered misophonia? Usually it's more of a violent throbbing panic than anger, though. I'm fine with crunching, and babies crying, I mean, they're unpleasant, but don't cause the same sort of "stop why stop it hurts" that some sounds do, but whistling/coughing/that yawny kind of bad singing are the worst, and even seeing someone's lips purse as if to start whistling makes me feel ill. Lip smacking and other wet mouth sounds do not necessarily set off my sensory issues, but they also make me feel panicked and ill. So many noises bother and panic me and it's difficult for me to draw the line between which ones are sensory processing issues of varying severity and which ones aren't.

Funny story: I'm so reluctant to ask for any kind of accommodation or come off as intolerant or needy in any way that I recently sat in the vicinity of a whistling colleague until I got overloaded and broke down sobbing. Probably not a great example to follow when it comes to how to deal with awful sounds.

• Like x 1
  6. Void

I feel it though. Like all of those sounds will do it to me too. Also same feel wrt to the reluctant to ask for accommodation. I don't want to be seen as intolerant or needy

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice