mostly roving, partly stars

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by paladinkit, Feb 20, 2019.

1. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

Thank you so much for the recs! I'll have to check them out. I can handle elastene just fine, and even rayon and nylon at the appropriate weights for weather and activities, but acrylic (thankfully becoming less common) hits the My Skin Can't Breathe level fast, and I have a genuine gives-me-rashes level sensitivity to polyester: even the better made stuff breaks down and I start reacting at anything above a 5% content. Guess what fiber is the most common fiber in affordable clothing?

2. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

jeez, witnessed

i know my ultimate goal, due to wanting tailored, actually fitting clothes who's material i can control, is to simply make them myself - but that's an incredibly involved, never-ending type project

if you can find a local tailor, tho, they can make a world of difference in your present wardrobe - alterations are magic (it's also a skill you can just learn if that's up your alley, which is what i did, but that does require a certain sanguinity about the clothing you'll maim while learning and practicing your skills. but learning how to put darts into my shirts and dresses so that they'd fit my bust and abdomen was pretty game changing)

• Winner x 1
  3. paladinkit

+1 to the homemade wardrobe dreams. I am genuinely planning on eventually having all knits be handknits, and since I'm deep into spinning & starting to feel the weaving bug biting those goals may expand. This is absolutely going to be a decades-long process, tho.

You are reminding me that it will be as easy as actually fucking asking to get alterations done - my best friend has a sewing & alterations side business, and I keep meaning to ask her advice on alterations, sizing, and maybe remaking some old favorite clothes that are falling apart in better/more durable fabrics.

• Agree x 2
  4. idiomie

go for it! alterations on my tops literally made the difference between me quietly hating my wardrobe and enjoying what i wore more - it's pretty much impossible to feel comfortable in clothing if it doesn't actually fit

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. paladinkit

Trying to take today to recover from the past week, because it's been A Lot, lads. But careening straight from frantic avoidance of drowning on grief to frantically trying to catch up on everything I let slide is probs not the healthiest solution. Rest is important. Gotta let the soft animal of my body love what it loves. Fiyero says he'll teach me how.

IMG_20190808_141009367.jpg

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  6. idiomie

cats are so good - and excellent teachers

• Agree x 3
  7. paladinkit

I'm breathing and beating my heart like a motherfucking champion

• Winner x 6
  8. paladinkit

I am DEFEATING LAUNDRY MOUNTAIN

turns out, I can do two loads in one day, if I have Em carry the dirty laundry downstairs for me. My wardrobe is fairly evenly split between things that can be put in the dryer and things that need to hang or lay flat, so I'm still only carrying one load up the steps at a time, and since I didn't carry anything downstairs, it is actually slightly cheaper in heavy-lifting-hands-spoons cost (although I still have to hang up & fold twice as much, so there's that).

But I'll have clean clothes to wear, and some stuff clean that I need to gift onward or donate, and a few winter things cleaned to be packed in the closet since I'm a slug who's been letting them collect cat hair in a corner rather than keep up with seasonal wardrobe management.

• Winner x 5
  9. paladinkit

And if I can get everything clean, I can do an actual job of assessing my wardrobe for further purging&updating needs, AND we can vacuum the bedroom oh gods this carpet

(and by "we" I mean Kai, bc vacuums are heavy to lug around, have incredibly non-ergonomically-friendly handle design, and also hit my sound sensitivity in the "shrieks of the damned tearing at my soul" way, so when vacuuming needs to be done I ask someone else and hide in the other end of the apartment with the cats)

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
  10. paladinkit

Tomorrow:
    • Devotional morning spin
    • Run final shopping list check
    • Shower
    • Put away remaining clothes
    • Assess dry yarns, hank & label
    • Dye at least 2 more test skeins
    • Attatch button
    • Jams budget time

• Like x 1
  11. paladinkit

Having weird overwhelm/fatigue? issues today. Still on track to manage all of the list except putting away clothes, though! Also being kind to myself and stopping every time I get overwhelmed, even if it's hard. Jams will be here soon, and so right now kind looks like enjoying my corner nook, my current obsession playlist, and some extra relaxing tea.

• Like x 1
  12. paladinkit

Me, bein' cute and determined to be cozy (feat. my new totoro shirt)

IMG_20190814_171654770.jpg

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  13. paladinkit

Screenshot_20190815-050144.png

I'm still awake at 5,again. This has been going on for, like, a week. I hate it.

• Witnessed x 6
  14. paladinkit

I slept late to try to make up for it, but it's a rough depression day anyway :( minimal goals for today include:

• Budget email (done!)
    • Clear clothes off drying rack (stretch: everything put away, not just in a laundry basket)
    • Get a little spinning done
    • If I feel like it - keep working on the lace database project

• Like x 1
  15. paladinkit

Me, yesterday, to Jams: Yeah, I'm not really a Spreadsheets Autistic, that's more asynch's thing
    Me, in the throes of insomnia: but what if I use spreadsheets to make a database of all Naomi Parkhurst's word lace motifs sortable by stitch or row count

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

As someone who has a spreadsheet just for her personal SU episode rankings, I say DO IT. >:D

• Winner x 1
  17. paladinkit

Oh I'm already doing it and it's ridiculous, but it will be so incredibly useful once it's done. She allows designers to freely use her motifs, so if I can sort by size in a spreadsheet I can find matching ones for pattern designs easier.

• Winner x 4
  18. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

That’s a brilliant idea! :D

19. paladinkit

I'm so godsdamned bad at sleep

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 1
  20. paladinkit

Me: why am I so emotional and distractable
    An Dagda: because you haven't eaten anything
    Me: I'm just really tired
    An Dagda: because your BODY needs FOOD
    Me: guess we'll just never figure out what the problem is
    An Dagda: FOR THE LOVE OF ME JUST EAT ALREADY

I have scavenged a scone and I feel better already, if dumb

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice