Musicals!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Marimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Marimo

Marimo Member

So I know that there are various threads for specific musicals but I thought it might be good to have somewhere more general where we can yell about our favourite musical for the month or w/e. (I'm pretty sure there isn't already a thread like this but if there is please direct me there)

My current obsession is "Come From Away" it's about this place called Gander where planes were diverted when the US air space was closed after 9/11. The music's kinda modern celtic style and it's really catchy. It is also the only musical that even after listening to the cast album for a week or so on repeat it still makes me cry because a lot of it has really genuine feeling emotion about responding to a disaster and stuff. I also think the staging and how it's done with 12 people and some chairs looks really cool from the videos I've seen on youtube. Basically I love this musical (and also Jen Colella) and will forever be jealous of anyone who actually gets to go see it.

2. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

oh yes musicals are the best.

Cabaret is the last one I saw (because I was teching for it) and it is both really catchy and really depressing. still! wilkomenn, bienvenue, welcome! im cabaret, au cabaret, to cabaret!

...also, oklahoma has some catchy songs but it is stupidly long.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  3. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

hello yes i live here now

• Agree x 2
  4. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

(seriously, oklahoma is crazy long. we had to split up board operating so that one person did act 1 and i did act 2 because it was unreasonable that one person do all of goddamn oklahoma.)

(i was fond of pretty much everyone in the show but ohhh my god i was sick of everything that wasn't singing by the end.)

• Witnessed x 1
  5. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

Musicals are amazing!
    My all time favorite is definitely Les Mis, but right now I've been mostly listening to Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812, because the Broadway cast recording just came out. It's an almost entirely sung through adaptation of a 70ish page portion of War and Peace. I really don't know how to describe the musical style(I've heard the term "Electropop Opera" used which seems fitting). It's kind of easier to show than to describe, so here's their Tony performance from last weekend:

6. strictly quadrilateral

yesssssss i love great comet so so much

• Agree x 1
  7. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

Yesssss musicals. I am suuuuper into Rocky Horror (as in I go to the conventions) and Shock Treatment. Also Hedwig, Little Shop of Horrors and Phantom of the Paradise. I have the Hedwig origin of love tattoo on one arm and the Transylvanian lightning bolt on the other.

8. Spectacularsalmon

I'm in a production of Guys and Dolls right now, so Sit Down You're Rocking The Boat has been stuck in my head all week.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. Marimo

Marimo Member

I was in it in high school so am currently getting intense show flashbacks. What's your role in the production?

10. Spectacularsalmon

@Marimo I'm playing guitar in the mission band!

11. Marimo

Marimo Member

@Spectacularsalmon Nice! Also I'm jealous because I was in the mission band and only got a tambourine (well I can't actually play anything but that's beside the point XD )

• Like x 1
  12. Birdy

Birdy so long

Great Comet is closing and I die

• Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  13. Tea and Rain

Tea and Rain angry squirrel

I am pretty sure I lost my chance to see fun home and that bums me out.

• Witnessed x 2
  14. Spectacularsalmon

• Agree x 3
  15. Marimo

Marimo Member

Ok so what on earth is "love never dies"? Like I just watched it on youtube and I see what everyone means with it seeming like fanfic plus it'd be nice to actually give Christine some agency. In saying that the set is so cool and I the costumes are gorgeous. Currently undecided on whether or not the music is good because it takes me a few times listening through it all to form a proper opinion

If anyone wants to watch it here it is:

16. strictly quadrilateral

ohhhh my god

i am eternally upset about love never dies because it is such a shitty sequel and yet i like the music better than i like the music from poto

why

17. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

ahhhhh i have such a love/hate relationship with Love Never Dies. like, it's very clearly ALW's post-canon fanfic (because in the book, the Phantom explicitly DIES in the end) and much of the music is embarrassingly bad. BUT SOME OF THE MUSIC IS EARWORMINGLY GOOD. i particularly like "Devil Take the Hindmost" because i'm a sucker for rivalry songs and also for songs where people sing over each other to convey information. but then the "and we totally banged, remember" song is just. secondhand embarrassment ahoy. also after his traumatic childhood in a freak show, it seems hard for me to believe that the Phantom would go off and... run a freak show. and him going from writing operas to writing tiddy show songs is just. idek. everyone is just so OOC in that show, particularly Raoul.

and yet. i've voluntarily watched it at least half a dozen times! and sometimes i seek out youtube videos of individual songs to listen to!

• Witnessed x 1
  18. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

speaking of weird ALW musicals... has anyone seen Starlight Express? i've heard some of the music but even with all my google-fu i can't find any way to watch it online.

(if you haven't heard of it: it's like Cats except instead of furries, everyone is a train. an exceptionally glam rock-looking train. and every single actor wears roller skates for the entire show. and there's a song that is as far as i can tell a thinly-veiled reference to being bisexual.)

19. Tea and Rain

Tea and Rain angry squirrel

No. I have not seen this but darn based on that description and video I want to.

• Agree x 1
  20. Spectacularsalmon

Reviving this thread because my school's production of Pippin opens tonight! I'm just in the ensemble but it's been a great time. Also, the finale is quite possibly my favorite finale from any show!

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice