Mutant and Proud! (X-men here!)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by PotteryWalrus, Jan 28, 2016.

1. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Hello, this is apparently a thread we have. Anyone have comics recs? The only marvel one I'm reading right now is the All-New Wolverine issues, though I keep meaning to check out Ms Marvel...

2. lupadracolis

lupadracolis [This space is intentionally left blank]

I have a rec!! X-men '92, which is a currently running comic themed after the 90s X-men show with the killer theme song. It's currently on issue 9, I think, and the art style is delightful.

3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

The house of m series is good, its only 8 issues long and is as confusing as it is feels heavy.

4. KarrinBlue

So the new All New Wolverine came out today, and I just realized -

[​IMG]
    It's a shot of Laura from behind but whoever was drawing it actually drew the cloth normally, without giving her a vacuum-sealed wedgie.

It probably says something that that surprises me (though All New Wolverine has been p good about that so far) but yeah.

• Like x 5
  5. A what

6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

[​IMG]

From what little i know of old man logan the hulk gang, made of hulk and she hulk's ( his cousin) grandchildren, are landowner hillbillies who get pissed if you dont pay your rent (oversimplifying that last part most likely)

[​IMG]

Then theres venom possessing a trex from the savage land. Old man logan is fucking wild, i really wish i could read it somewhere

• Like x 2
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

God i still cant get over how x 23 originated from xmen evolution of all places. And now she has a shit ton of comics and shes in a movie. its just great

8. KarrinBlue

Yes.

Though I am disappointed that she had like. Darker skin in the cartoon and then everywhere else she is snow white with black hair. I mean yeah that's what logan looks like but also. what if. you DIDN'T whitewash people. also as long as I'm griping about early X23, her Evolution costume was entirely practical, a leather jacket, pants, gas mask, all v good. And then the comics (and epilogue) go 'ok but what if skintight pants and a shirt that might qualify as a sports bra if it didn't have a deep v-neck.'

Though the All New Wolverine costume is a+, even if i do Not understand the hood (how do you have hair loose, pull up a hood, and then ALSO your hair is still flowing around. Does Laura have to sort of wiggle her hair out of her hood. Every time.)

• Like x 3
  9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Youd think she'd tuck it in the hood, it gives baddies something to grab and throw her off balance like it is.

10. KarrinBlue

Yeah! Or like, if she's gonna have a hole in the hood, at least braid her hair to make that easy.

• Like x 1
  11. @Deresto Ooooh I thought maybe Incest was another character.

• Like x 1
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Nah its just literal incest

• Like x 1
  13. KarrinBlue

All-new All-New Wolverine!

"some pretty mundane, angsty teen drama" ok does this describe any of the current X-men comics because if it is then that's petty but kind of hilarious
    "He was an above-average lover" pffft.
    ...hmm, who's doing the art for this? it's kind of sloppy compared to the last couple...
    this is a much friendlier captain than I got the impression of last chapter. Well, it's not TOO bad, so.
    YEP THERE IT IS.
    ...yeah I have no idea who this dude is. I do remember her, though!
    ....and THAT cover for next issue looks like it's a direct copy of one of the Wolverine classic images.
    That said I'm a little disappointed we're doing this plot - i haven't read MANY x-23 books, but I gather this is kind of a recurring predicament for her. You'd think she'd have at least started working on getting the trigger scent to be less, uh, trigger-y for her. There's probably x-men with relevant mutations that could help. Though whether she'd trust any of them is a different matter...

• Like x 1
  14. KarrinBlue

(but yeah like compare/contrast:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    most of them are some variant on vaguely-goth, though there is this one which i don't even know what[​IMG]

i don't even know where this one is from.but the wiki's got it so i guess it's not fanart?
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  15. Glassware

Glassware Well-Known Member

Pictured below, every other X-23 story that's been told:

[​IMG]

This is a neat twist on that though because All-New Wolverine has had a lot of Laura being a genuine superhero who has fun who is helping others who have been where she was, and this is very much Kimura deliberately trying to drag her backwards. I don't think it's going to work out for Kimura too much though.

• Like x 1
  16. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Eeeee! I'm a huge X-Men fan, primarily via the comics. For people who think the comics are confusing, you are objectively correct, but I have a thing that might help.

Behold, my favorite podcast, Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men: http://www.xplainthexmen.com/

They basically start at the beginning of continuity and do exactly what the title says. Spoilers abound, but even though I'm typically very against spoilers, I have not found that my enjoyment of the comics has been negatively affected in any way. The hosts are incredibly likable, funny, and knowledgeable. They're also quite good about current social issues, which can be a bit of a minefield when your discussion material is popular comics from several decades ago. I've been so impressed by the way they demonstrate that it's indeed possible to approach something critically while still enjoying it.

I personally do most of my comics reading via subscription to Marvel Unlimited, which is not actually unlimited but does generally have good coverage of the main X-Men line. That is the most important thing to me because those are my favorite comics. (I wish their New Mutants coverage was a bit less spotty, but I think it's improved a little.) There's a gap of months, I think, between when new stuff hits stores and when it's available on MU, but it doesn't trouble me much. I can't really afford to buy physical comics, especially at the rate I consume them.

As far as digital subscription services go, I've heard good things from other comics fans about comiXology, which offers stuff from both Marvel and DC as well as many other publishers. It's also cheaper than Marvel Unlimited. I'm not sure how good their X-Men collection is. If it's good, I may end up switching over because I am poor.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    • Like x 4
  17. KarrinBlue

....oh god I just realized that at some point Gabby and Laura are probably going to meet up with Daken. (Unless he's also dead right now?)

18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I SAW LOGAN TODAY AND OH MY GOD. IT WAS SO FUCKING GOOD!!!!!!!!!

Im so fucking happy they portrayed everyone perfectly and the kid who did laura was insanely talented, i usually have beef with kid actors *cough* dakotafanning *cough*.

They didnt do any stupid trigger scent overused plot bullshit, the characters acted like people in a traumatic situation instead of superheroes, and near everything happened in a believable way! Theres this one bit where theyre escaping some baddies and logan tries to ram a chain link fence down and instead of it crumpling like cardboard it acted like a real fence and fucked up their car.

They took the time to put the fucking bruises and bloodstains on the knuckles of logan and laura after they used their claws! When they stayed with a family and family inevitably gets killed the remaining survivor didnt try and help them escape out of some bullshit kindness of his heart thing, he tried to shoot them! Because he was scared and his family was dead! And it wasnt drawn out, no speech, no apologies, just bam and dead.

Speaking of dead bodies, they did not fuck around with that either. Whoever they had doing the dead people effects deserves to get paid more.

I love, love, LOVED the "adimantium is poisoning me because metal isnt supposed to be in me" plot device they used for him not healing right anymore. It was perfect, and just believable enough. Also the "charles has a degenerative brain disease in his old age and hes a really powerful psychic and those two together equal a dangerous sad old man with noone except for his super healing adoptive rowdy boy son to take care of him" thing was really great too. It hit really close to home.

This whole movie kinda did, in a way. Theres this one scene where charles is watching a movie called shane with laura and that used to be one of my family's movies. We all watched it together. It was important to us. And it just made me really emotional. My mom cried.

But yeah, the whole found family aspect to it was so fucking great. I wanna go see it again.

• Like x 1
  19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Oh! Super cool thing!

They had xmen comics in universe! Like i knew there was captain america stuff in the mcu but it was still surprising to see xmen comics in universe as well. Like, logan said it was only loosely based on "stuff that actually happened" but it was really interesting to see

• Like x 1
  20. Silvereye

Silvereye 89 White Paladin Traverses The Cosmos

I haven't really kept up with the movies for the last decade, but I did see Logan with my sister and it was incredible.

Things I didn't know I apparently really like: movies that are like 75% epic bloodshed, 20% bittersweedorable found family and 5% painful tragedy. Everyone seemed so tired and worn out even before shit hit the fan. And the kid who played Laura was really great.

So during Logan's current job montage there's this scene where he's driving a bachelorette party (I think?) around and the bride (again, I think?) flashes him. And he's just like... mildly amused? I almost saw a thought bubble with "heh, kids these days" appear over his head. It's such a tiny detail that doesn't really have much importance, but I am in love with it and I don't know why.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice