My Mom just tried to commit suicide, what do I do?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by emythos, May 23, 2015.

1. Missfortunate

Missfortunate Emotional one

Well they are in Weltham now

2. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

The fuck are they doing in Boston at 1:30 in the morning? >:I

Like, sure, this is a huge city but practically everything closes at 10pm, for which I blame the Puritans.

Bur seriously, driving with suicidal people is horrifyingly scary and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

[edit] Like, I keep thinking about this and I'm very upset. If she gets abandoned in the middle of nowhere east of Boston at 2am or something I will legit get in the car and do a rescue operation.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  3. Missfortunate

There are already two atandby rescue setups and weve tLked about a few ways out of it for herself to consider but a third rescue option is definetly welcome @Beldaran. her dad woke up and called her mother asking her to come home but she iant listening, @emythos has a destination in mind

4. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I am bad at Wordsing right now but also putting in my concern, hopes for an optimal resolution, and comfort hugs if wanted.

We're here for both of you, @emythos and @Missfortunate

Can't be easy being the one relaying things.

5. Magpie

Magpie a nest full of shiny things

Voicing my concern as well. ;; I've been wrapped up in a parent's rock-bottom moment too, and it's never pretty. Sending good thoughts to all involved D:

6. Missfortunate

@emythos and I are both thankful for the concern and support you guys <3

• Like x 2
  7. Missfortunate

Okay so ems mother is better?ish and is heading in the direction of back home so things are actualy looking better everyone! hopefuly it stays good and they get home safe

8. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Hey everybody. I'm home safe, if shaken. Uh, that was not fun at all, 0/10, do not recommend.

• Like x 3
  9. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

What happened, if you're okay talking about it?
    Make yourself a warm drink maybe

• Like x 1
  10. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I am very glad to hear that you are safe!

• Like x 1
  11. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Seconding the warm drink!
    glad to hear from you again

• Like x 1
  12. emythos

Kay, so.
    It started earlier in the night, when my mom decided to try to take all methods of communication away from me because we were 'being pranked." I stole my phone back, and tried to go to sleep. And couldn't because she kept coming into my room and checking on me (scaring the shit out out me in the process. The second to last time she did that, I mentioned that my windows were shut because ants get in otherwise. And she left, but came back a bit later freaking out because "Ants' bounce, how could I have been so stupid, I should've seen it before!!!" and then she sorta like ushered me downstairs freaking out about ants the whole way. And I was half asleep intially, but once she was like "get in the car" :throws armfuls of clothes on me: I figured nope bad idea so I started freaking out to her, and texting @Missfortunate and some other people. And after a while it made sense that we were going to my aunt's house, but she was still creepy and then she told me to call my dad and dad managed to convince her to turn around at the next exit, and she drove to my aunt's house to "check on her" and then we drove home, and now early this morning she took off and tried to walk to plymouth, and I had to go drive over and bring her back.

13. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

@emythos: I seriously think your mum needs more help than you and your dad can give her right now. This behaviour worries me. I know she doesn't want to become an inpatient, but I really think that would be the best for her right now.

• Like x 1
  14. emythos

I know, and I agree with you. My dad was trying to get her to make a closer appointment. Right now she's napping.

15. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Apologies if I'm out of line, but.

It sounds to me like your mom may be having a psychotic break. Saying and doing things that don't make sense and unexplainable paranoia, especially a few days after a suicide attempt, kind of point that way. If that's what's happening, especially if this is the first time it's happened, I think she needs to be in a hospital ASAP. She definitely needs medical care immediately, not in a few weeks or even a few days. This is more than you and your dad can deal with on your own.

You might find this hotline helpful. Definitely stay with her, try to keep her calm, and try to keep her from leaving the house or driving.

I'm sorry you're going through this, @emythos - it's scary. Hugs for you if you want them.

• Like x 3
  16. emythos

Advice isn't out of line, thank you.
    Hugs accepted :)

17. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Yeah this isn't normal depression. Speaking as someone who REALLY hates drs and esp hospitals? Your mom needs to be in a hospital /today/. And you should not be the only one responsible for watching her, not even for five minutes. You don't have the authority to keep her from doing dangerous stuff and frankly shouldn't HAVE to. That was INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS. Even if she hadn't deliberately done something violent, like driven off a bridge or something, someone who's experiencing a break with reality like that is not competent to drive holy fuck. What if she'd decided people were hiding around a corner to carjack you and freaked out and spun into a building or something? Fuck, you wouldn't let a drunk person drive, this is way worse.

Bottom line. Leaving you with her unsupervised right now is hitting 'criminal endangerment' levels of not ok, and unless you have around the clock at least two adults willing nadir able to watch your mom and prevent her doing dangerous shit at home, while getting her in for psych care TODAY and possibly daily for the next however long, your mom needs to be in the hospital. She is seriously not safe enough to herself or anyone else to be unsupervised.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    • Like x 2
  18. emythos

I know. It's just, I don't know how? I really want her to get to the hospital, but like, she's really against it and I've never had to make appointments or something. I'm so fucking useless.

19. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

Oh my god I didn't see this *waps self in head*
    I'm so sorry that must have been horrifying *hugs*

20. emythos

Hey, don't worry about it
    It sucked. *hugs back*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice