My sister is so much better than me.

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by ChelG, Jan 4, 2018.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My sister's 21, has her own car, is doing volunteer work and Open University, has local friends, is about to go abroad for a week with one of said friends and has been abroad before, has a better figure and better skin than I do, and is achieving all this while dealing with chronic physical illness. I'm 28 and perfectly physically healthy except for being obese and pimply, have been totally unemployed for five years, have never left the country or spent more than one day outside parental driving distance alone and can't afford to, am totally unskilled at anything anyone would ever pay me for, and can't drive because I'm pathetically easily distracted and I have a Pavlovian reaction to vehicle movement which makes me fall asleep. Nothing I do would ever be good enough even if circumstances would let me do anything productive at all.

• Witnessed x 3
  2. Witnessed a second time

3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I don't know what to do. I'm never going to live up to what I was told I could be.

• Witnessed x 1
  4. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

That sounds like you have some brainbugs that are currently kicking your ass. Bearing up under that and continuing to try is a lot of effort on its own.

Everyone's struggles and paths and goals are different, and you don't need to have the same goals as your sister. So, like, 1) do you have access to a therapist? and 2) what are your goals?

5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I can access therapy, but only short-term and with a massive waiting list because those are the only options with free counselling and I can't pay for it long-term. My goal is to be able to support myself, and nothing I've tried for that has worked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice