Nailpolish!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Codeless, Feb 23, 2015.

1. sicknastyspades

sicknastyspades Most Rad.

Picked one of my nail polish shipments up today!
    Dance Legend Comet Tail and ILNP Masquerade look really similar; as far as small-swatches-over-black-on-the-back-of-an-old-train-ticket go, they're basically identical with the exception of the holo flecks. I think ILNP might have a better formula - Dance Legend looks like it might be slightly streaky. Really need to wear them on the nail to check, though, because curved surfaces change things a lot. Still, sure is interesting that every swatch I've seen of Masquerade has had a depth of colour and iridescence which none of the Comet Tail swatches seem to match.

#i'm sorry for rambling #but no-one else i interact with has any interest in nail polish #i'm desperate for people to have long detailed discussions with #... #i checked and i can't find anybody who has compared these two #dammit nail polish fandom don't you know your only purpose is to pander to my curiosity #either this or my google-fu has failed me #which is possible

• Like x 1
  2. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Ooh, those sound nice. I'm wearing this light light pink from the sally hanson stuff that I finally figured out how to put on without it looking too streaky.

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Something ive noticed with the catrice basecoat is that often the entire polish on each nail will start coming off in one piece, and can therefore be glued back down with clear polish for a bit.

4. emythos

Seriously? That's useful.

5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Seriously. I would add that my manicures end up pretty thick, and thinner paints tend to come off in big chunks, but basically this basecoat makes everything on top much more cohesive.

6. emythos

Adding to the list now.

• Like x 1
  7. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Its the gel like basecoat by catrice. Should be easy to find cause its their new line.

8. emythos

Awesome, thanks :)

• Like x 1
  9. sicknastyspades

!!! My A Englands arrived! And I went "fuuuck" when I opened the package, because hot damn those sure are some spectacularly hellacious polishes. A England makes really fuckin' gorgeous greens, wow.
    I haven't tried them yet because I am too busy enjoying my hideous neon glow-in-the-dark nails. Help me I have too many polishes and not enough hands to put the polishes on, this is a disaster and I did not think it through.

• Like x 2
  10. Nochi

Nochi small waterfall of pure void

I've become addicted to glitter/flakies + matte topcoats, help. I have a really pretty silver + blue one that makes my nails look like Atlantis tech (I've also been rewatching Stargate Atlantis now that it's back on Hulu, double help)

• Like x 2
  11. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

For those who don't follow the Nailpolish Gallery, something came up today-- make sure to give your nails time to breathe and recover between manicures, or they can actually start peeling away from the nail beds! Constant chemical trauma isn't good for any part of a body, and acetone and nail polish can be pretty harsh on the skin under and around nails. (For more medical information, try googling "onycholysis," but beware of some nasty photos in an image search.)

On a happier(?) note, I've spent about $50 USD on nail polish since January. Curse seebs and his wonderful friendgroup for reintroducing me to the loveliness of shiny claws.

12. sicknastyspades

I googled onycholysis and it was significantly less of a delightful body horror adventure than I was hoping for :c

(I spent about $50 USD just on ILNP stuff and am planning to spend another $50 or so when I can finally make a decision which isn't just "ALL OF THEM". And then I spent close to $60 on those beautiful beautiful A England polishes. I've probably spent... a couple hundred minimum? Look I have basically no financial responsibilities right now, I can be as frivolous as I want to and should also probably go donate to a charity or twelve when I stop being so lazy.)
    (I am an awful dreadful shallow excuse for a human being but fortunately I experience neither guilt nor shame so you know what I am totally 100% okay with my decadent lifestyle. Hedonism is so great.)

13. Loq

Sadly(?) I have neither financial responsibility nor income right now, so $50 was most of my spending cash from the winter holidays =( Actually dipped a little into stuff I was planning to put towards uni and/or a car, whoops.

14. Nochi

Nochi small waterfall of pure void

I use a cream from Sally Hansen called Healthy Cuticles Now to prevent that kind of thing. Mine are yellowed right now, from wearing dark/matte polish, so I'm hoping it helps with that, too.

15. sicknastyspades

!!! ILNP have a new spring collection available for pre-order!! Wow thanks ILNP, I really needed to spend yet another night obsessively browsing nail polish swatches instead of sleeping, thank you so very very much.

16. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

you guys have infected me, I found some sparkly purplish black nail polish on sale for like a dollar and bought it. Now I just need to find my clippers and files. I don't even think I even have nail polish remover because I never do my nails! I'll post pics though to the gallery when I'm done.

17. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Yo, I'm just gonna leave this here. Absolutely every shade of KleanColor's stuff I have tried is amazing. Very heavily pigmented, great coverage (most of it takes just one coat), dries fairly quick, and some of them even have nice smells mixed in, even the ones that aren't specifically marked as having nice smells. Also it is DIRT CHEAP. Pretty much every polish on the site is $3.49 a bottle (except the French kits which are $7 and the minis, which are 99 CENTS) and if your order is $40 or more, US shipping is free. (edit: I seem to have missed, like, the entire Nail Art section which has glitter kits for $4 and striper-brush-equipped polish for $2 a bottle, among other things) (edit the second: okay they seem to have a $25 minimum order on the site but hey, there are places where $25 might get you two or three bottles of polish and here $25 will get you a metric shit ton of nail goodies)

If you have a Walgreens nearby, it would behoove you to check there first because they might carry it, it's in a fuck-off huge bin you have to paw through but it goes 4-for-$5.

Also I have not tried it or even seen it in person, but I've heard their lipsticks are awesome for Homestuck cosplayers and anyone else who needs really good lipstick in weird colors.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • Like x 2
  18. Loq

Has anyone found anything that makes nailpolish more water-resistant? A fancy topcoat or some such? Much as I love my glittery nails, I do a lot of my dishwashing by hand and it gets kind of disheartening to see everything chipping off within three or four days =/

19. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Wear gloves? At least hereabouts you can get disposable plastic gloves in drug stores.

20. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

Today I visited one of my best friends who is a complete nail polish maven, like the amount of polish that girl has, wow.

So I of course went to the shop and bought myself some basic things and scored a 3 for 1 deal thingy, so now I have good quality nail polish in the nicest red and grey and funny white flecks. Will picture if I succeed at painting anything, lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice