nanowrimo

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Astrodynamicist, Jun 3, 2016.

1. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

(something something autumn) [I don't have a working one QUITE yet

queer poly disasters get embroiled in complicated magical diplomacy revenge plot feat. one murder, one wedding, and several betrayals

queer lit, polyamory, romance, fantasy, modern-ish magic

this song right here

• Winner x 2
  2. keltka

@Loq @KingStarscream @swirlingflight if it's okay with y'all I have like sixty (less, but hyperbole) random questions related to nano projects and I'm game to post one a day(ish, depending on if/when I remember to)

• Like x 2
  3. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

THREAD M E M E
    (which is to say yes, absolutely, I can't promise I'll have answers but I'm game to play)

• Agree x 1
  4. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

OH SHIT ITS NANOWRIMO IM NOT READY SCREECH

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 1
  5. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I can see what answers I've got, but I warn you, I've been theoretically participating since 2007 and haven't won yet. :P

I'm taking this approach this year: including my prepwork, notes, and commentary along with the story stuff itself, so as to feel rewarded for my effort and keep my numbers rising at a good enough pace to continue motivating me. A more classic achievement style is to only count story material (albeit quick writing draft quality) written solely during November itself - a couple of my notes, maybe 300 words worth, were written through this last week.

• Like x 2
  6. Artemis

• SAWGRASS LOVE (working title)
    • describe your novel as shittily as possible: florida queer writes semi-fictionalized memoir
    • list off some genres it hits: queer fiction, memoir, themes from romance, probably not fantasy but hey no promises
    • brief description/blurb that you'd actually post for NaNo: bold of you to assume I have a non-shitty blurb
    • link one thing you associate with it: on phone, will link musics when home this afternoon

(Also I know the OFFICIAL nano is 50k but my personal goal is to just write something eventenworda every day for 30 days straight, woo lofty aspirations)

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  7. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

I'm adding words to an already-extant webnovel, and every other writing project I have, and counting them all.
    Maybe I'll even catch up with the webnovel's update schedule, maybe I'll start a new project partway through the month.
    We Shall See.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  8. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

I think I'm going to do NaNo goals as instead of a final word count goal, see how many days I can make a word count. That way there's no catching up to do if I miss a day, and no accompanying feeling of futility when it happens. Also I think I'll start my word count around 500 cause my mental health is currently hot garbage :)

Working title: Hold Your Color
    Shitty Blurb: Angery ball of trauma tries to find a missing kid while various supernatural and a few mundane antagonists try very hard to maim and/or murder her. Along the way makes one (1) friend.
    Genres: It's sort of high fantasy, but high fantasy at the beginning of the industrial revolution rather than medieval; sort of steampunk; noir; detective/mystery; sort of queer, though there's no romance plot in this first book, but there's a little bit of gender-y stuff; basically a bunch of semi-related genres mashed together
    blurb that you'd actually post for NaNo:
    In the isolationist city of Vigil, Sofia Darling is a curiosity. For a city so steeped in magic, there’s not much demand for a detective with no arcane talent—especially a foreign one. But when what she thought was a job to bring home a man’s kidnapped daughter turns out to be a job to bring home his escaped
    slave—a slave from Darling’s own home country—she finds her mission abruptly changed from a retrieval to a rescue. With the help of Jan Ruddock, a half-demon smuggler, Darling races to find the runaway slave before the girl's former masters do, and the two find themselves pawns in a struggle between Vigil’s ancient magical orders and a god that was supposed to be dead.
    link one thing you associate with it: idk if I can choose just one... Here's a song I've been writing most of my action scenes to. And I've also put my commissions of Darling and Ruddock under a spoiler cause I MUST SHARE OCs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Winner x 2
  9. keltka

QUESTION TWO TIME!

what was it exactly that sent you down this nano hellpath?

(e.g. what sparked the idea that's become your novel/writing piece)

10. Loq

this year's project is a redux of a fanfic reskin of baby's first-ever ofic, with Even More Queers

• Winner x 3
  11. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

i'm very, very informally participating in nano this year, because i don't want to scare myself off from writing, but:
    -someone gave me a half-joking prompt with a pairing that i'd either have to AU or slice 'n' dice canon's timeline to achieve
    -i went "hell no, i hate timelines, let's AU this"
    -it refused to take any format other than vaguely-cyberpunk-flavored
    -along the way my plans for it started sounding less like "wacky romance with other stuff happening" and more like "Plot, and also there's romance on the side"
    -i remain chronically incapable of not Making Things Interesting
    -help me

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. Artemis

The Drama (tm) in my life isnt believable hardly anyway, so it might as well get an edited version that eschews fact for convenience occasionally (mostly timeline condensing tbh). And I'm just egotistical enough to think it makes an enthralling story. "I couldnt make this shit up if I tried" after all was a working title back in high school for a collection of vignettes from my life.

Also i was debatimg which idea to work on for nano and the title Sawgrass Love popped up in my head from nowhere and I love it

• Winner x 3
  13. keltka

one of my promptober projects (basically I had a friend send me some inktober lists and mashed them all together aggressively) got out of hand, absorbed two of the other projects I was working on, and started generating worldbuilding

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  14. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I wanted hurt/comfort with kink as a basis for emotional and psychological healing, and then everything got kind of out of hand.

• Winner x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  15. Artemis

I did have a backup idea if i couldnt settle on a longer project to do a one-shot short story/fanfic a day just to get writing again and churn more ideas out into actual existence instead of pure concept

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I got to thinking that there's a lot of pre-canon in Undertale that I don't much see explored in fic. The early timelines when he was "flawlessly solving everyone's problems," and how it might have actually come across to people if he kept save scumming conversations. The first time he found the True Lab, and how all that might have gone. Whether he only did helping and then killing, or if he tormented people in more detailed ways - Alphys, Asgore, and Toriel especially. And there's the wistfulness for a better ending for him. Like, the one is a bittersweet thing that fits, but it makes me sad.

That's part of what I wanna explore. A person who was loved, then hurt by someone he loved. Who from the combination of the injury of losing his soul, and the trauma from how he died, woke without the ability to feel love for anyone. How someone might go from helping people to just experimenting with redoing things in more and more injurious ways, especially if they're the only one who remembers. If the harms don't seem to last, there's no one outside holding them accountable, and there's no longer the inner brakes of really caring for people, what he might get up to. And especially when all of that is in someone who's not all that creative in his unkindness, because most of what he does is mirroring what was done to him.

And how someone who doesn't a long time blaming himself for doing the wrong thing, then forgives himself for having done the right thing in that moment, might change. We barely get a glimpse of it in canon, and I really think that isolating himself underground is a way to make it easy for him not to hurt others... but isn't good for him or his improvement, long term. Isolation avoids new outside influences, but the old ones might spiral and spiral...

Obviously I am not an undead flower who once could rewind time, but there's bits and pieces that are familiar to me. I wanna explore some unkind catharsis through writing his past of trying too hard to please his adopted sibling, even more unkind catharsis of his increasingly seeing the people around him as nonpersons since they forget whenever he wants, and the worst of him hurting them with a mindset somewhere between playing the Sims (or other such game) and showing himself he finally learned what Chara seemingly taught him.
    And then, because I figure it'll help me imagining myself getting better, to write out his perspective of the game's events, and then a path that gets him on the surface and with therapy - and not just kidnapped and treated like a tantrum child, trapped in a flowerpot and social convention.
    Maybe even a path that touches on some of my grief and gratitude about grandparents, because the most obvious ways - to my mind - for him to have a human soul willing to help him love again are either (1) Frisk's, on their death, or (2) telling his whole story to people, and finding people who'd like that to be the last good deed of their life. Connecting with old people who have mixed pasts and just wish him well.

I've got complicated feelings on the flower.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

That's almost a novel in of itself... I got hooked on Fallout awhile ago, and started drowning in feelings about my OT3 and began writing fic for them. Then I got the bright idea to play my Fallout OC (Darling) in a DnD oneshot, loved it, and made her my PC when we started a long-term campaign. So the setting I'm working in for the novel is heavily based of our DnD campaign, and a lot of the starting powers are the same, but the plot is totally its own thing since Darling is the protagonist and not part of an ensemble.

I've written about 25-30k in the last year/year and a half and think I'm roughly 1/3 through the story, but i've stalled out /hard/ in the last 3 or so months. We'll see if nano helps at all .-.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  18. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Doing namowrimo! Have about 2000 words so far but I am doing it.

• Winner x 4
  19. Loq

thanks jd.png
    My rat is trying to help me reach par for today.

• Winner x 3
  20. keltka

question 3:

what color/colors do you associate with any or all of the following

- your main character(s)
    - your setting
    - your novel as a whole
    - the cover you'd put on the book

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice