nanowrimo

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Astrodynamicist, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

tfw the guy without a mobile face keeps trying to make facial expressions

honey. no. You don't have a mouth to frown with.

• Like x 4
  2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I've been regularly getting one of my characters' pronouns wrong, so I can relate.
    I'm not doing NaNo this year, I've kiiiinda thought about writing that one probably terrible self-indulgent YA-like thing whose plot has been floating in my head for years, or possibly something from that setting I've been working on but have no plot for, but then I realized my studies might be more important than all that.

• Like x 2
  3. Loq

...does it count as getting pronouns wrong when, because of biased narration and linguistic differences, I keep accidentally using the correct pronouns when I should be using a wrong set
    (S uses they/them; Group A's language defaults to he/him for unknown quantities, but when narrating from someone in Group A's POV I keep using they/them for S. Oops.)

• Like x 2
  4. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

Just found an absolutely perfect mashup of songs for my MC

• Like x 2
  5. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

So I kinda want to do nano, but i'm really anxious to do try because i've never gotten far before. i'm not exactly sure what i'm looking for here, perhaps encouragement or advice? Mostly to express my anxiety at trying something that seems so big.

• Like x 3
  6. Loq

Different things work as encouragement for different people-- my "just fuckin write and worry about quality later" switch does not exist in all people! (Heck, it stops existing for me around week 2...) But if you want to do the thing, I think you should do the thing :3 If it helps at all, the 50k word count isn't actually necessary-- you can set your own goal, or write a bunch of tiny unrelated stories that just happen to hit that goal, or take the month to just get a chunk of an older project done. The official site has Rebels for a reason! :P

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  7. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

First time nano-er here. The way I look at it is... I might not "win" (by the definition of writing 50,000 words by midnight on November 30th), and that's okay. If I give myself permission to write for quantity without obsessing over quality, I might actually finish a story. Then I can go back and pick over every word until I'm happy with it. But usually I'm so hung up on wanting every sentence to be perfect that I barely write at all.

Also, if there's one thing I've learned from marathon training, it's that having a supportive community all doing a hard thing at the same time makes it much easier to do the thing. Having a dedicated group of people to scream with helps a lot.

• Like x 3
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

NaNo advice that comes down to: write fanfiction. Write derivative stories. Write the coulda shoulda woulda where you see another way a story could have gone, and be not afraid to put twists on it.

• Like x 3
  9. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

For keeping going, it helps me to take it one day at a time and focus on that day's chunk of words only. If I miss a day or fall short on a day I don't think about it as "Now I have to write X words to catch up" -- I ignore those and keep trying to successfully hit each day's 1,667 word goal. Otherwise, all those missed days and days where I fall short feel like such a big obstacle I grind to a halt. If I catch up, I catch up, if I don't I don't - the important part is that I did my best every day.

• Like x 8
  10. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

@Mercury that sounds actually like wonderful advice (and not just for nano). I think I'll do it as more of a: see how many of the 30 days I can hit word count rather than panic over the 50k. And as for content, I'm definitely sticking to fic, though I might do a bunch of short things, at least to start off.

• Like x 4
  11. Makizushi

Makizushi Cheap, Easy, Delicious

I am attempting this thing for the first time ever. Maybe it'll help with the zero motivation I've had recently when it comes to writing.

• Like x 4
  12. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

The POV for the moose-guy has gone all noir. I don't write noir. Why.
    OTOH the little newt-gened informer is possibly my favourite minor character to write dialogue for. He's just so jittery and all over the place, all mouth and no trousers. :)

Not quite hitting word count but after years of not writing at all, just over 1k words a day is pretty ok.

• Like x 6
  13. Loq

I get the feeling this is an idiom of some sort (equivalent to "all talk and no game" maybe?) but in combination with the newtman it was also a hilarious mental image

• Like x 3
  14. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

It is an idiom as well but I'm really glad my ridiculous sense of humour is appreciated!

• Like x 1
  15. Silver Sheep

Silver Sheep IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Missed the first day but now progressing nicely. Housemate already ships the only two characters so far.

• Like x 3
  16. swirlingflight

each day as a separate chase sounds like a good way to keep from being overwhelmed by the weight of it.

17. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

I want so much to do nano, but lately I don't have time for all my erm, actual obligations. Still, I always want to do it, but I just... have never written anything long? My brain always wants to make things as short as possible, and I know you don't make something longer by just... using more words...

So, uh, any advice for how make longer story?

18. Loq

be a filthy cheater and ignore your backspace/delete keys, counting any and all typos as their own words so you end up with "questino quesion qurstion question" and then one word us magically four words

Fight the instinct to trim things down? Follow that side character! Digress into a lengthy explanation of That One Really Cool Bit of your worldbuilding! Become Tolkien and write horrendously over-detailed descriptions of scenery and genealogy! You can always trim down later :P

Eta: also, if you realize midway through a scene/chapter/whatever that you don't actually need it-- those words still count. Strikethrough or make em the same color as your page background of you really need to not see them, but you wrote the thing! It's part of your total!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    • Like x 4
  19. swirlingflight

Throw things at wall. Later you can trim out all the excess for the parts that work.

• Like x 4
  20. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

probably just spill a bunch of sideplots and minor conflicts all over the place? or add some shipping, if you're into that

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice