Naruto Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Raire, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Thank you for the information @Aondeug!

2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Sure thing. I'm not the most informed on the topic I will admit, but what I do know tends to make me a bit less 'oh my god why is this such garbage now' about titles because jesus fuck is SJ a relentless magazine. It kind of shocked me to know just how much power a lot of editors have over titles. You never see their names on like the covers of stuff, but they're behind a lot of what happens in titles. Honestly it makes me respect Oda more than I already did because fuck that man's got to be a machine.

• Agree x 1
  3. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Personally I'd just flat out add 5-10 years to everyone's ages but that's more of an 'Anime' thing than a Naruto specific issue. Fucking Kakashi is a chuunin at six? There's 'prodigy' and there's 'trained killer still has all his baby teeth'.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

i just assume that ninja children mature faster, especially clan kids, because something something chakra pathways. my suspension of disbelief couldn’t take it otherwise

• Agree x 2
  5. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

I assumed it had to do with the war conditions at the time. Kakashi was a 'prodigy' at six, sure-- but that meant he was competent to run fast, hit targets accurately, and stab people with reasonable success, at a time when his village needed every single ninja they could spare to do just that. A generation later, 'prodigies' are being given an additional couple years of adult supervision before they're pressed into service. Considering that Konoha has had cycles of war for generations, I'm pretty sure the guys in charge of the curriculum know that shoving kids out the academy door too soon is a tragedy: it both kills off a lot of kids as cannon fodder who could have been competent ninja if they'd just been given more time to learn, and it means that even the ones who survive end up completely bonkers, even by ninja standards.

It's just that in wartime, it's a sacrifice that the adults tell eachother needs to be made, I guess. Kind of like how in famines you eat your seed stock just to get through the year, and hope it earns you enough time to figure things out later.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Oh no, I started adding more Homestuck characters as sneak easter eggs into my world

Help I made teams with the trolls
    One I call "Team Romance"

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Winner x 5
  7. VJ Wocky

VJ Wocky 36 Somnolent Void Seeks Perfection in Dissonance

oh...oh no. i can guess....2 of the 3 on that team. who's the third? or are we counting sensei too?

• Like x 1
  8. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I had to choose jounin from the trolls, so this time yes, we count the sensei

Team Romance:
    Jounin Sensei: Karkat Vantas
    Genin: Nepeta Leijon, Eridan Ampora, Kanaya Maryam

Team Oh God Why:
    Jounin Sensei: Terezi Pyrope
    Genin: Vriska Serket (hence the oh god why), Feferi Peixes, Sollux Captor

Team Disney Prince:
    Jounin Sensei: Aradia Megido
    Genin: Equius Zahhak, Gamzee Makara, Tavros Nitram

• Winner x 3
  9. VJ Wocky

sweet! i did guess 2 correct. but now im kicking myself for forgetting nepeta

re: team Oh God Why: holy shit the terezi-vriska dynamic has to be some kind of terrible rude genin sasuke-reluctant sensei kakashi rehashing intermixed with like...the WORST kind of enabling

...i think i might have missed teh reference with the disney prince one though.
    ...unless its disney because of tavros and prince because equius is an "heir". not sure where gamzee fits into all that.

.......now that i think about it these remind me of the role reversal lineup where the akatsuki replace the konoha 12 as the kids and their teams. which is great

• Like x 1
  10. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

If I remember correctly why I named it that way, Disney Prince is essentially because of Tavros the magic animal communer, and because Equius has long prince hair. Gamzee is canonically royalty in HS by being a land purple

• Informative x 1
  11. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I gave Tavros a name with kanji that essentially means "dream to fly", because I'm rude like that

• Winner x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Finished naming them, and started drawing the ones I hadn't done already a year ago (props if you manage to figure out which of the previous drawings I've posted here are which of the trolls)

[​IMG]

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. VJ Wocky

huh aradia looks like a sister/cousin of kurenai. neat!

• Like x 1
  14. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I love designing characters. Now I need to like... write their profiles in my big document...
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  15. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Nothing like realizing you know next to nothing of military protocol for ... anything, and that this might be a problem when writing something somewhat realistically of a military village.

• Witnessed x 2
  16. VJ Wocky

well, i mean it didn't stop kishi so...even an educated guess (or hell, a wild guess) would make more sense than whatever canon pulled off

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  17. Focus on consistency, not realism.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

True, Kishimoto set the bar really low XD

Thanks I’ll strive to do so!

• Like x 2
  19. bushwah

bushwah a known rule consequentialist

I join a retro-style forum and what do I find? A thriving pre-Shippuden Naruto fandom thread! I'm so pleased, honestly. I've got several fics open in tabs from your recs.

I'm going to add Dreaming of Sunshine, which is both a WIP and a self-insert, but is still *very* professionally done. It does not have the feel of a debut novel, let alone of an unfinished and unedited manuscript, even though to my knowledge it is both. (This is not a diss on manuscripts—I know they're an important step—but there's a type of editing that can only be done after a work is done, and for a work that hasn't had the opportunity for comprehensive beginning-to-end editing, DoS has way too well-balanced of pacing and foreshadowing and scope.) The big warning I'd put on it is that there's painfully realistic depictions of mental health struggles. It's refreshingly light in several ways, though; it doesn't dwell on heavy things and it's got strong themes of hope. The worldbuilding is utterly, perfectly consistent, but somehow still warm and inviting. It's got things in common with LotR, but irritates me less.

I wrote a wee babby naruhina featuring awkward adolescents in love and I'm trying to write more. This one is G rated; I'm hoping to push the next one, or at least a future one, up to M or E. I'm not sure exactly how I'd talk about that on this site—is NSFW under spoiler tags that say 18+ okay, or do we need another thread?

• Like x 2
  20. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Consistency is important, yeah. Also considering stuff like "what's the chain of command" (meaning, who reports to whom? do the jonin-sensei report directly to the village leader normally, or do they usually hand off reports to someone a rung or two lower if it isn't anything politically earth-shattering that the leader needs to know now? And who's got the right to do things like detailing guard schedules or starting classified projects without people side-eyeing it and considering it a potential sign of rebellion?) and "how do they get supplied", plus how much of a say do the civilians get in day-to-day matters. (Obviously, in wartime, they're not going to get an active say in matters. But during peacetime, do they get to have any say in how the village itself operates?)

It should be okay if you've got it under a spoiler tag with appropriate warnings, yeah.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice