Naruto Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Raire, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Birdy

Birdy so long

Kagura’s the grandson of this fucker, who’s one of the main reasons the Bloody Mist was called that (this is the mizukage who Obito was theoretically manipulating? but the timeline on that is really weird and it’s essentially a huge plot hole), and is currently regarded as a monster, with his descendant (Kagura) carrying that legacy. (Because it’s not a Naruto Tragic Backstory TM without some good old fashioned ostracization)

So the suggestion is that it’s like...congenital bloodthirst. Which I could buy, there are more fucked up inheritances in that world. Either way there’s something severely wrong with this kid, and you’d think a world at peace wouldn’t need fucking berserker swordsmen right?

I want Zabuza to rise from the grave with the sheer power of hate and murder the fuck out of whoever let this unremitted bullshit continue to occur. I doubt he’d be happy about another scared kid who never wanted to hurt anyone being forced into the role of a weapon.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  2. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I finished redrawing one of my characters all Grown Up into her later teens. I made her fairly practical (I hope). This is my precious munchkin who I adore. I should probably put information about her clan up sometime. Gotta edit the clan document first tho...

[​IMG]
    With a coat

[​IMG]
    Sans coat

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  3. Birdy

Birdy so long

Okay sorry I keep reviving this thread (insert dumb edo tensei joke here) but this is interesting, promise.

So check out this post first. TL;DR the character for “shinobi” includes the characters for heart and blade, and the character originally means forbearance (which grew into connotations of hiding and stealth, so it became the ninja word.) So “shinobi” can be sort of poetically read as “someone who endures, someone who hides their pain, even with their heart under the knife”

Now it’s time to be sad about Haku.

On the bridge, Haku tells Naruto that he doesn’t want to kill him and Sasuke, but if they don’t back down he’ll fight back, and he says ボクは 刃で心を殺し忍になりくる “I will kill my heart (心) with a blade (刃) and become a true shinobi (忍).” He’s making a...sort of really tragic pun on the formation of the character. That line was sad before but holy shit. Especially with the connotations of suffering, forbearance, hiding your pain. This poor fucking kid.

And then there’s the scene with Sakura...so one of the shinobi rules is “a shinobi never shows their tears.” This poor little girl quotes it to her crush’s (apparently) dead body and breaks down sobbing, and the bridge builder guy is like “so this is what it’s like to be a shinobi...it’s unbearable”. Dare I say...thematic.

That’s what the ninja system asks of you: don’t feel, don’t suffer, kill your heart with a knife and be an emotionless tool. But then by the end of the arc, it’s firmly established that no, it is not possible to do that, shinobi are, you know, human beings. And Nart’s like “I don’t wanna be like Zabuza, I’m gonna be a ninja in my own way!!!!”

Except that never goes anywhere, and later on all these characters talk about just enduring your problems like it’s a good thing, but I’ll spare you more of my frothing over the Naruto ending.

TL;DR Land of Waves was actually well-written, and I’m incredibly emo about ninjas.

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Wow that is a really neat bit of information, thank you for sharing it!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

I'm not even in this fandom, but I was somehow caught off-guard by a sudden intense need for good fic about Kakashi??? Send help.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

Okay, double post, but also: am I the only one who kind of wants to see an AMV set to Chase The Morning with Kakashi as Blind Mag? I just feel like it would fit, especially given the whole 'eye transplant' thing.

• Like x 2
  7. Birdy

Birdy so long

Ooooh, if anyone wants a fanfic where Sakura utterly stomps (to a kind of terrifying degree, considering that she’s still a genin), enjoy Freedom in the Eyes of Another: the Wave mission goes really damn bad and Sakura steps it up. Kakashi gets some good moments towards the end, and a bunch of other characters get nice cameos, but the focus is on Sakura, both her being awesome and what “being awesome” in the ninja world (murder) would do to a little girl.

Watch out for gore. And eye horror especially.

• Agree x 3
  8. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Oh man I've read that fanfic and I absolutely love it, it's amazing.

• Like x 1
  9. Penumbra

Penumbra hiding under cloth

• Like x 2
  10. Birdy

Birdy so long

Hi this appeals to basically only my interests but it’s uhhhhhhh fucking good: have a short Zabuza and Kakashi character study

everything on that author’s profile is good, though sadly their most recent work is from 2006. that’s how it be in the Naruto fandom

• Like x 1
  11. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I have fallen into a pit.

That pit is called "writing fanfic about my original characters in an au without the main characters of naruto".

Thank you nanowrimo.

• Winner x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. Birdy

Birdy so long

SHOW

(if you would like)

• Like x 1
  13. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

It's not finished, I'm still only 2k words into the prologue, but I can share a tidbit

[Name] was on the ground next to him, impaled by long fragments of wood, eyes already glazing over in death. He was covered by a sheet of dust and as Kai watched, a piece of ceiling fell next to him.

Well then.

Bomb, supplied his brain now that he wasn’t working off instinct, big one, bigger than I’ve ever seen. Visibility zero, got to get out and see who I’m fighting against.

He was up and out before the thought had finished coalescing, jumping out of debris and rubble, climbing on the remains of the walls until he was out of the smoke and could see as several shinobi did the same, clinging to walls and rooftops, stopping to eye each other speculatively as they tried to find the source of the bomb, but Kai was distracted from that by the horizon.

Spirals of smoke rose up in the horizon, and even as he watched, a bloom of fire and a far away burst of sound rose up.

• Like x 2
  14. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

also i saw the scene where Naruto's kid wakes up her byakugan and. holy shit she goes to murdermode fast. i hope she ends up dating Sarada.

• Agree x 3
  15. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Finally got around to watching more Boruto episodes and I'm just.

There isn't a consequence for gozu tennou, and that is disappointing?? Like "oh yay everything is back to how it was". I mean, that's the ideal yeah, but somehow it just seems empty. Does Sumire go to therapy with Sai now? I headcanon she does now. Inoichi has a new sibling now, and its Sumire, and he can Deal.

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. Birdy

Birdy so long

Hi here's a fancomic centered on babby Kakashi shortly before everything in his young life went horribly wrong, and it's excellent and you should read it

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    • Like x 1
  17. Birdy

Birdy so long

18. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Hey so this was ages ago but have more tidbits of the self indulgent fanfic I'm writing, featuring my first attempt at writing violence
    Kai vaulted over the backs of three men, slapping explosive tags on them as he did, and turned to dispatch them as they fell, cracking their bones as he jabbed at the solar plexus, at a throat, breaking ribs and leaving the men groaning and clutching at themselves in pain. He whirled, and smashed a kick through the block of one of the men who had enough reaction speed to bring his weapon up. Following through on the momentum he rotated and let his other leg drag him through another kick, clearing more space around him as he snapped a neck. Another second, and he’d drawn his kunai and slashed the hamstrings of a woman who dropped to the ground with a scream.

The genin trio stepped closer, seeing the path he was clearing for them. Kai took a moment to throw two shuriken over their heads; one man dropped, clutching at his eye where the shuriken had embedded itself. Kai stepped back, and felt something cut into his leg, before being yanked out. He turned, and five people froze, Kai’s face frozen in a rictus of rage, an aura of such intimidation emanating from him that one man dropped his tobiguchi and ran away. The woman whose hamstrings he’d slashed lay on the ground where she clutched her kama with white knuckles, staring from where she had swung her weapon into Kai’s leg, staring at him wide open eyes, pupils dilating.

He stepped forwards and kicked her face. He could feel her jaw give way underneath the force of the kick.

He moved on.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  19. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I kinda miss my Naruto RP days. There was some really great pitchdating with a Sasuke I got to know well, and I miss my OCs, even if I can't remember them all that well.

• Witnessed x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. Birdy

Birdy so long

oh mood

ive been thinking of putting out a call for naruto rp discords over on my tungle...

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice