Netflix & Chill (the tv recs thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by jacktrash, Jun 28, 2019.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

seebs and i just finished watching 'Neko Zamurai' aka 'Samurai Cat' on amazon. it is ADORABLE.

the premise: ronin hired to kill a rich man's cat, it's too cute, he steals it instead. but his landlord hates cats! also he's perpetually broke! sitcom hijinks ensue!!

my review: hot dad cuddles soft babie, makes hilarious kabuki faces at everyone, is force-befriended by neighbors who are immune to kabuki face. ends each episode with a haiku. seebs and i went "AWWWW" at least once every episode. not enough fight scenes. also he needed to take his shirt off more. and his daughter should have her own show, entitled '8 Year Old Disaster Samurai', in which she spends most of the episode being completely terrible at everything but kendo, then saves the day with a swordfight.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    • Winner x 4
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

The Way of the Househusband was great. I usually have to be cajoled into watching comedies unless I know and like the comedians, especially if it’s not sketches, but I accidentally watched the entire show at once. It isn’t very long, which is my only complaint.

I’m a subtitles person so I have no idea how the show holds up when it isn’t in Japanese, but the Japanese voice acting was solidly hilarious and used to great effect. One bit reminded me of how The Thrilling Adventure Hour would sometimes give Paget Brewster lists of things to read as Sadie Doyle because her delivery with the Mid-Atlantic accent was so funny.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I don't usually watch sitcoms, but schitt's creek is actually really good, and if you can make it through the whole series the character growth is ridiculously amazing. They dont even lose their overarching personalities on the way! Tbh they remind me of the howells from gilligan's island, who i unashamedly adore

Basic premise is a family of super rich people lose everything except a small town called schitt's creek the dad bought his son as a gag gift one year for his birthday, and its their only asset left as they lose everything else and they go from extravagance to living in a motel, and it's damn funny

• Informative x 2
  4. Verily

Hotel del Luna is an absolute visual feast of a k-drama. I loved it. It’s a genderswapped Beauty and the Beast story that takes place in a hotel for the ghosts of the recently deceased. It had me from the opening sequence:

Currently I’m watching Q-Force, an animated comedy about a team of queer secret agents working out of West Hollywood, a posting which was supposed to condemn them to obscurity. And it worked. Until now, because they’re fed up waiting for the agency to finally get with the times. This show has made me fucking cackle so many times. The vibe is kinda like if the genuinely funny and clever types of jokes and references that a queerbaiting show might make just got to be the actual humor for once, and if it goes over a bigoted audience’s head, they probably wouldn’t enjoy watching a show with on-screen gay sex anyway, so whatever.

• Informative x 1
  5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Hearing your description of Q-Force is the first thing that’s actually made me genuinely interested in watching it—not because the premise sounded inherently bad or anything, but because of that initial trailer being so bad and hearing some pretty mixed reviews even after that. But you’ve successfully described something that sounds VERY up my alley, so…I’ll let you know what I think if I ever get around to it!

Speaking of Netflix cartoons, Inside Job is EXCELLENT and I will be suffering until season 2 drops. It’s an office comedy set in the Deep State corporation that controls the world (that manages to avoid the nastier pitfalls such a premise could potentially end up in), and it’s fucking hilarious but also surprisingly compelling in its story and character dynamics?? Reagan (mad scientist hell woman) is my wife and I would die for Brett (local wholesome himbo).

• Like x 1
  6. Verily

I did find some chatter about the trailer not going over well but the show turning out to be surprisingly successful? I didn't bother watching the trailer. The show pretty much had me when it got to West Hollywood, which did not take long. I've been to West Hollywood and just, holy shit.

• Informative x 1
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

The just released season 2 if you're still into it! It's only 5 episodes but they're same quality as the 1st

Unrelated, has anyone watched Wednesday? The show unfortunately has that Netflix Feel to it that a lot of their originals tend to have (not sure how to describe it other than maybe, like, trying too hard on something that would've been successful no matter what?) But otherwise it's a good little murder mystery.

Wednesday herself is portrayed as a girl who needs to get her shit together but at the same time not? She's going through like, psychic puberty and I'm not gonna lie it sometimes feels like I'm watching that's so raven. Tim Burton is the director and he had her not blink the entire show which was an excellent choice imo, she comes off as Addams Brand unnerving as well as giving off the air of someone who misses nothing.

The high school itself is pretty straightforward as a TV high school, cliques and all. Stuck up sirens, rowdy werewolves, and I choked when the "stoners" were introduced. You'll see. It's pretty bog standard even though it's supposed to be a school of outcasts and unwanteds (their words, not mine)

Overall interesting and out of the box portrayal of the character, but none of the out of the box comedy the original show had. Oh, also thing is there! He pretty much becomes a piece to keep the plot moving in later episodes, it's kinda annoying after a while

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  8. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

I've watched Wednesday! I loved Jenna Ortega's performance (the not blinking thing was in fact excellent) but the further I got through the show the more the romance plotlines made me want to tear my hair out. Disliked that aspect of it so much my overall experience became negative, unfortunately :/

I'd heard people say negative things about the Morticia-Wednesday relationship before watching and honestly it did not bother me one bit - yes one key thing about the Addams family is they love each other, but I can in fact still believe a teenage girl might occasionally feel like her parents don't understand her, and might also be upset at being constantly compared to her mother. Didn't mind it at all!

Goody was such a missed opportunity though. 'Seers in our family have a guide amongst our ancestors! You'll meet them when you're dreaming! Careful with that specific one though, she's incredibly powerful and potentially not all that reliable!' *Goody proceeds to speak to Wednesday like, twice, giving them no time to develop any kind of proper dynamic, and then double-dies through heroic sacrifice that just doesn't have the emotional impact I believe the show was going for*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice