newbie questions thread

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by jacktrash, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Also if you say the words "double post" in the context of two posts by the same user in a row in a thread, seebs will appear to exposit how in historical usage "double posting" only referred to duplicates of the same message due to computer error or the like.

• Like x 19
  2. kmoss

kmoss whoops

shit, i was just going to say that actually

...am i
    am i... turning into seebs????

• Like x 11
    • Witnessed x 1
  3. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

same tbh

thanks seebs

• Like x 4
  4. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

turning into seebs I think I'm turning into seebs I really think so...

• Like x 7
  5. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Two posts in a row is not frowned on. It's okay, especially if the content of the posts is rather different, or if it's humorous in a way that being multiple posts enhances, or if you need to add something and it's a volatile conversation where you don't want to risk editing previous posts. (I try not to, or to put all my edits at the bottom of my posts, so as to not change what I said and risk confusing anyone with them thinking I said one thing but the evidence they can see says another.)

Just

Please don't exceed FOUR posts in a row. Five is right out.

• Like x 7
  6. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Also often when people are backreading through multiple pages of discussion (especially in Fine Imported Drama threads), they'll often quote one post, and reply, and then go another couple pages, find another post, quote that and reply separately. So these can be "double posts" but they're mentally way further apart than "double post" implies as they're often responding to completely different things.

• Like x 5
  7. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

speaking of which, "thanks seebs" is a kind of forum meme/in joke where a tumblr blog (@ thanks-seebs.tumblr.com) tried to... idk do something/convey some kind of message? by replying to a bunch of seebs posts with "thanks seebs". i think eventually we found out that person was actually fairly anti-seebs, but their intentions were a mystery for a while.

there's a thread on kintsugi for it here

• Like x 6
  8. kmoss

kmoss whoops

in regards to that, i know i personally prefer it when people just go through and put all the quotes together in one post to reply to

BUT that's a personal "i like things in what i view their place to be" thing, so i'm not gonna put a spoon in my eye over it, and i wouldn't necessarily say it's a forum culture thing

• Like x 3
  9. swirlingflight

We use it somewhere around "thanks Obama" by thanking Seebs for anything and everything.

• Like x 7
  10. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Note that, if it's your vent thread, you can acceptably post as many messages in a row as you want.

• Like x 5
  11. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

it's like you said, "beetlejuice" three times, but with seebs

• Like x 8
  12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Re: multiple quotes, let me tell you about the +quote button. It saves your quote to a little repository where next to the message box you will get a insert quotes button, that you can click and get all the quotes to now write stuff about.

• Like x 10
  13. swirlingflight

If you're on a computer, you can reorganize the quotes! I think they default to the times the quoted posts were made.

• Like x 2
  14. swirlingflight

Important part of Kintsugi forum culture: people will gather in flocks to give information and help explain things.

• Like x 12
  15. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

not a newbie but can someone explain exactly what the ignore feature does, both on the ignored and the ignorer's sides? i am confuse

16. swirlingflight

Ignore means that you don't see the threads, replies, quotes, or profile posts of the account in question. When they're the last to reply to a thread, you can see it in the form menu as an "Ignored Member". At the bottom of each page of a thread, there will be a message that there was "ignored content" on the page, and give you the option to temporarily reveal it in that page.

Accounts that are ignored do not receive any notification of it.

• Like x 2
  17. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Ignore is useful if you have a subaccount that you dont want to get notifications for, like i dont want to get pinged on my main account informing me that @local rats posted in the shitposting rave.

• Like x 2
  18. swirlingflight

also also

many of us only rarely look into the welcome forum, and so only rarely notice that there are new threads to respond to. like me, i'm one of those people who usually forgets this forum exists. i usually only notice it when i see that somebody i follow posted in one

• Like x 1
  19. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

Something I only figured out recently: hitting "reply" to someone's post will automatically prepare a post where it's quoted for you. Handy.

Signatures exist, but you have to toggle on viewing them in your user settings. (Idk if anyone mentioned this yet.)

• Like x 2
  20. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

And some folks put useful/important notes in their signatures, so it might be a good idea to turn them on if you don't find them too distracting.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice